Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

03 RMK 800 keeps blowing engine

This is a discussion on 03 RMK 800 keeps blowing engine within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; ok so this one is kinda a long story. guy I bought my 03 RMK 800 verticle escape from had just rebuilt the motor after ...

Thread: 03 RMK 800 keeps blowing engine

This user has no status.

Member #
    ok so this one is kinda a long story. guy I bought my 03 RMK 800 verticle escape from had just rebuilt the motor after fragging the piston, on the PTO side also destroying the connecting rod. he replaced the bottom end compleatly as well as the oil pump one jug and one piston as the other side was okay. then I bought it and burned a hole throught the top of the new piston on the pto side. I cleaned out the case and put it all back together with all new gear for that side. rode it less than 5 hours and threw the connecting rod bearing. on the pto side. I'm useing the jets called for in the slp chart for my sled as well as running an ataac. running out of ideas and money. trying to pay for this thing and fix it.the only thing I can think of is that I'm getting lean on the same carb that my ataac hooks up to. (bad ataac?)
    I mean I dont even care if its fast anymore I would just like to ride before the season is over.

is is putting the duck hunting
    gear away and getting the
    Nytro out of storage

Member #
    Don't really know what to tell ya, but after reading this I'm just hoping I don't have those problems with my 02 800 RMK 151 Vertical Escape. I lost compression in the PTO side cylinder last night but haven't torn into mine to see what the problem is.

Bring It, Don't Sing It!
    is snow on the ground but not for
    long... Not in mood yet to
    wrench on sleds... :(

Member #
    Check for air leaks, carb boots, etc. Disable the Ataac and run it, check plugs. Check clutch balance, those 800's need a properly balanced clutch. Location? ? ?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm in central alaska. I talked with the owner of phillips recreation. I think that I'm just gonna pawn it off on them I'm sick of messing with it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    This is the problem when buying a used sled that someone else has modded. Put everything back to stock, double check your carbs, ensure no water is in the fuel tank/lines, no air leaks are present. The 800's are known to vibrate themselves to death, but your problem is most likely an air leak associated to the PTO side of the engine, good luck.

This user has no status.

Member #
    ^^yep, check the crank seal on the pto side.

the rod probably got tossed because the bearings are hard, the pin and the rod are soft steel. the hole in the center of the piston means detonation. which in turn can pound out the rod or the pin on the crank shaft, making its life from unlimited miles to very few miles.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Good ideal to have your crank checked for phase.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Okay thought I should updat on what happened and how to fix it.
    the problem was caused by a crack in the lower half of the case. good thing I took it to the shop or I would have probably not caught it. I am told that polaris 800 twins do this a lot. Are there any fixes like an engine girdle or something that can reenforce the block. you guys are right I bought someone elses pain in the butt. so when its all said and done I'm looking at about $1700 to get back on the trail before winter starts coming to an end.

Links