Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

my 1985 Indy 400

This is a discussion on my 1985 Indy 400 within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I have a 1985 Polaris Indy 400, 2,XXX miles and perfect in condition. Really nice sled. It had a bogging issue for a while now. ...

Thread: my 1985 Indy 400

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a 1985 Polaris Indy 400, 2,XXX miles and perfect in condition. Really nice sled. It had a bogging issue for a while now. I took it to the local Polaris expert, who cleaned and set the carbs to factory specs, replaced the choke cable etc. The sled started and ran like new. Drove it around the house for about 1/2 hour and i was thrilled. Then the bog showed up again. He took it back, did seals and rings, and inspected everything. No better. He says there is no reason that this thing isn't running right. Still starts and idles great, and will spin the track at over 90mph. But bogs when loaded.

I purchased a newer/bigger sled this winter, so i am not relying on this one. Here is my question: Is there anything else i should look for in fixing this bugger? Would you continue to pursue it? Should i put it up for sale? Is it worth anything to anyone as it is - running but not rideable?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Rob

is Status, Status, Status

Member #
    Sounds like a fuel problem i was having... check/replace fuel lines, pulse line, fuel pump. If it startes up and idles fine, and ran for a while, probably not your clutches, and sounds like you've already checked the carbs.

What happened to mine was a leak in the fuel line from the pump to the carb causing the bog - was starving for fuel on one side. It would start and idle great, would run for a while then bog real bad, couldn't even go over 4000 rpms and barely move.

This user has no status.

Member #
    its your clutches!
    this is why you can lift the track and spin it at 90mph. the springs are worn and tired, from age and mileage.most likely the sceondary but if youve gone this far id do both.
    the weak springs letting the clutches up shift to quickly and not letting the motor get into its power.

This user has no status.

Member #
    also hows the belt look? does it ride properly (approx 1/16"-1/8" above secondary sheaves)? could be as simple as that.

This user has no status.

Member #
    just a stab at it but....ice/water in the fuel????

This user has no status.

Member #
    I thought about all of these suggestions, clutches, fuel problems etc..and i brought them up with the mechanic and he poo-pooed them all. If it were the clutches, why would it run ok until warm? Do the clutches only kick in at 4k rpm when warm? Earlier when cold?

Also, i thought about fuel issues, but a good gas tank cleaning, rebuilt fuel pump(i shoulda mentioned that), new fuel lines and filter...we have done just about everything but a total rebuild.

Anything else? I will pursue these with my mechanic again. I am up to about $300 with him so far and i figure that is about the value of the sled if not rideable. Don't know if i wanna invest more in it.

Thanks guys.

is all i have to say is wow my
    fingers are stuck in one spot,
    this sled pulls hard

Member #
    We had a problem similar to the one you describe this year.On our 2003 xcsp 500 it would run idle everything fine until you stab the throttle at any speed faster than 25.We thought nothing of the clutches becuase we just rebuilt them last summer.Well the buttons we installed were spi cheapies at .75 cents a piece.Well after 350 miles they it was the helix against the clutch housing.Bought another pair thinking it was just dumb luck nope only 200 miles.Well all in all this year the xcsp 500 went through 4 sets of buttons and the ones in it now are shot.The original polaris ones lasted over 5500 miles.Figured it worth taking a look at.good luck

This user has no status.

Member #
    If I understand this right, it only does this when it is sled is warm. You have a lot of very good suggestions here from some guys who know their stuff. The fact that your Polaris expert is poo pooing other ideas makes me wonder about him. Narrow minded, tunnel vision what ever you want to call it. I had an 86 that I bought new and the sled was a very good and fast sled for a 400. If the belt is worn much at all, the belt deflection is off, springs sacked-out, weight pivot holes egged out, clutch bushings need replacing, and/or clutches in need of a rebuild will cause huge off-the-line performance issues. On the fuel side I ran 210 mains and left the rest stock. Clutching Polaris blue primary spring, 10m-B weights, 40/34 helix (the stock 34 is ok), and a Polaris red secondary spring in the #3 position. There are other sites out there as well for info on your 400as well. www.hardcoresledder.com

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yeah, when the 400 is running right, it is a rocket. And it handles awesomely(is that a word?). I am going to print these suggestions and take them to my Polaris guy. In his defense, he is VERY well respected in the area, only services Polaris machines and has an incredible knowledge of these sleds. He also has my 1972 Colt SS and is doing a great job on that(that one runs great - go figure).

Thanks for all the help, i hope i don't end up selling, the sled is in too good shape overall.

Rob

This user has no status.

Member #
    So far many good suggestions, but no one has ask about your compression? Have you checked into crank bearings? I had a 400 this year that the pto side bearings went out and took out the pto seal. You say you have check all the fuel lines. Did you check the pick up and line in the tank? Is the oil pump set right and getting the correct amount or working at all? Clutches are a possibility as the may look fine to the eye, but rollers and weight bushings could be shot. If the primary has issues it may work fine for a short time and than act up causing the bog. If the secondary buttons are shot it will cause a drag and not shift properly. Another thing is how good did the carbs get cleaned. I had an 87 Indy trail that I though I had them clean and I was wrong. Really need to tear them down and let them soak overnight and make sure all passages are clean. Sad to say now a days many of the Polaris dealers don't want to piss around with old stuff and won't give then the time they deserve. That may be why he poo poo on all the suggestions.

Links