Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

95 xlt driveshaft broke

This is a discussion on 95 xlt driveshaft broke within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I had hoped for another ride before the rain came. Luckily the drivshaft broke a short distance from home and a friend was at hand ...

Thread: 95 xlt driveshaft broke

This user has no status.

Member #
    I had hoped for another ride before the rain came. Luckily the drivshaft broke a short distance from home and a friend was at hand for the tow.

Replacement is imminent. My question are there any other models that will fit my [highlight=red][highlight=white]1995 polaris 600 triple xlt special[/highlight=white][/highlight=red]. Or is the driveshaft specific for my year and model. Thanks for any help you have to offer. Bret

dubman
    is is waiting for more snow!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bukbuk
    I had hoped for another ride before the rain came. Luckily the drivshaft broke a short distance from home and a friend was at hand for the tow.

Replacement is imminent. My question are there any other models that will fit my [highlight=red][highlight=white]1995 polaris 600 triple xlt special[/highlight=white][/highlight=red]. Or is the driveshaft specific for my year and model. Thanks for any help you have to offer. Bret

pretty shure one from a 94-96 wedge with the xlt motor would work.are you talking about the jack shaft or the cog shaft.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The cog shaft. It looks as if the bearing by the speedo seized and heated up the shaft at that end then parted just inside the tunnel. If it makes a difference the shaft has two cogs on it not 4. Thanks Bret

dubman

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bukbuk
    The cog shaft. It looks as if the bearing by the speedo seized and heated up the shaft at that end then parted just inside the tunnel. If it makes a difference the shaft has two cogs on it not 4. Thanks Bret
    i think there should be 4 cogs i could be wrong maybe someone else on here can better direct ya....change the bearings and install a new cog and you should be good to go..measure the length of the shaft and match it up to the new one.

JD
    This user has no status.

Member #
    My '95 XLT Special has four drivers. I wonder why yours only has two. Maybe it's been replaced before?

dubman

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JD
    My '95 XLT Special has four drivers. I wonder why yours only has two. Maybe it's been replaced before?
    that was my first thought but only 2 drivers???............that does not seem right.

US Park Ranger
    is just returned from Glacier
    National Park

Member #
    100% sure that sled came from the factory with 4 drivers

Here is a list of sleds that have that particular driveshaft
    PS your shaft is polaris part # 6230083

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a cheap one for you. send me a pm and we will compare some measurements. I will be very cheap i promise!!

This user has no status.

Member #
    I want to thank everyone for there reply's. I got a chance to tear into the sled today and found that the damage is far more than I expected. Simply put both bearing's the one in chaincase and the one at the speedo are destroyed. We are talking chunks and pieces here. I was able to pull the shaft out without loosening or removing the track.

The drive shaft did not break but it is questionable that a bearing will properly fit the speedo side. The galling on the end is extensive. Which made appear to have parted.

The chaincase has had a somewhat creative person (prior owner??) in it as the snap ring that holds the bearing in place isn't there. Three button head screws and washers are installed in the case to hold the bearing in place. The chain is a question mark.

This was my first full year of sled ownership and I have had a blast. And this is what comes with well used equipment.The parts list has grown.It will just take longer than expected to fix.

Thanks again to you all. Bret

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a spare chain case that should work, its a different part number than the xlt but the cover and gasket are the same. make me an offer and its yours.

Links