Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Polaris 500 efi indy fuel delivery problem

This is a discussion on Polaris 500 efi indy fuel delivery problem within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I have a 92 indy 500 efi and i am having a fuel delivery problem. Last year after a ride i loaded it on the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Polaris 500 efi indy fuel delivery problem

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a 92 indy 500 efi and i am having a fuel delivery problem. Last year after a ride i loaded it on the trailer and it was running like crap. It almost sounded like it was reving out.It hasnt started since. The motor is getting spark and the fuel pump is turning on. i checked the hose going to the fuel rail and it had good fuel pressure. i even ran a hot lead to the injector to see if it would spray fuel when the coldstart shot goes in and it sprayed fine. I was suspecting the computer because the i tested the tps and it tested out ok. there are no led flashes on the comp and if you unplug any of the sensors the computer corresponds with the trouble code flash correctly. The wiring looks ok. im stumped. is the computer bad? and if the tps was bad i dont believe it would make it not run completely. Ive tried priming the sled and it fired up but still didnt flash a code. Help

This user has no status.

Member #
    Simple stuff first- How much gas is in it? Is it fresh? Check your fuel pickup screen inside the fuel tank. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? How about the plugs?

Good luck & hope this helps.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by slednutz2
    I have a 92 indy 500 efi and i am having a fuel delivery problem. Last year after a ride i loaded it on the trailer and it was running like crap. It almost sounded like it was reving out.It hasnt started since. The motor is getting spark and the fuel pump is turning on. i checked the hose going to the fuel rail and it had good fuel pressure. i even ran a hot lead to the injector to see if it would spray fuel when the coldstart shot goes in and it sprayed fine. I was suspecting the computer because the i tested the tps and it tested out ok. there are no led flashes on the comp and if you unplug any of the sensors the computer corresponds with the trouble code flash correctly. The wiring looks ok. im stumped. is the computer bad? and if the tps was bad i dont believe it would make it not run completely. Ive tried priming the sled and it fired up but still didnt flash a code. Help
    Not sure, I could be way off but I would do a compression test.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yes a compression test for sure ....
    You have to rule out any mechanical problems with the engine first.
    What makes you think it is fuel delivery? Do you think it is not injecting any fuel now ? Exactly what was the fuel pressure when you tested it?
    Do not run a "hot line" to the injectors again, you could damage the computer or injectors if you have not damaged them already . The injectors are designed to run at 5v not 12v

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have primed the sled and it started up and ran fine. compression is in range. I am not getting fuel what so ever the injectors are not even spraying fuel what so ever even when the cold start shot is supposed to go in. as far as runnin the hot lead to the injector it seemed to work and spray fine when it had power. something is not sending the signal. plenty of fuel pressure and battery power. stumped still.

1991 Indy 400
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Attachment 155161

I hope this helps. Clean the connector on the EFI ECU, the contacts may be contaminated.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have primed the sled and it started up and ran fine. compression is in range. I am not getting fuel what so ever the injectors are not even spraying fuel what so ever even when the cold start shot is supposed to go in. as far as runnin the hot lead to the injector it seemed to work and spray fine when it had power. something is not sending the signal. plenty of fuel pressure and battery power. stumped still.
    So you are saying if you apply voltage to the injectors they spray normally ?
    The computer provides the ground signal to cause the injectors to open and there should be voltage at the injectors at all times fed through the dropping resistor (blue wire). When the computer grounds the green wire the circuit is complete and because the injectors are in series with the resistor there will be aproximately 5v at the injectors. You will not likely be able to read this voltage with an average multimeter as the circuit is only energized for miliseconds at a time. When the circuit is open (engine off) you should be able to get 12v by pulling back the boot and backprobing either injector terminal with the injector still plugged in. To be clear this is a 92 500 equipped with a ready light correct?

If it is and there is no voltage at the injectors unless you run a wire to it you have found your problem and there must be a broken wire or bad dropping resistor.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrholmquist
    So you are saying if you apply voltage to the injectors they spray normally ?
    The computer provides the ground signal to cause the injectors to open and there should be voltage at the injectors at all times fed through the dropping resistor (blue wire). When the computer grounds the green wire the circuit is complete and because the injectors are in series with the resistor there will be aproximately 5v at the injectors. You will not likely be able to read this voltage with an average multimeter as the circuit is only energized for miliseconds at a time. When the circuit is open (engine off) you should be able to get 12v by pulling back the boot and backprobing either injector terminal with the injector still plugged in. To be clear this is a 92 500 equipped with a ready light correct?

If it is and there is no voltage at the injectors unless you run a wire to it you have found your problem and there must be a broken wire or bad dropping resistor.
    Yes it does have the ready light. so if there is a constant lead to the injectors then in theory there should be power on one wire per injector while the ready light is illuminated. i traced back the ground wires on the injectors and they seem fine. The wires do route up under the battery box to some type of resistor. As far as the resistor goes do you know how many ohms it should run or if there is some kind of test i could do? Damn electrical work. Thanks for the hand.

This user has no status.

Member #
    k so i pulled the resistor off the battery box and it is a three wire plug going into the porcelin type ballast resistor. looks to be two black maybe even dark green or blue wires along with a white wire splitting the two. any idea on price for one of these guys or even a part # would be appreciated. i would really like to know how to test it or at least know the resistance ohms its supposed to have.

This user has no status.

Member #
    resistance of the droppping resistors should both be about 6 ohms. The red/w wire is connected to the battey positive post through the green fusible link and therefore should have 12v on it. The two blue wires should go directly to the injectors. And yes as I stated earlier there should be voltage present at all times at the injectors. Actually there should be voltage at the injectors even if the ready light is off because the computer only controls the ground side of the circuit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links