Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

XCR 800 - Time to rebuild?

This is a discussion on XCR 800 - Time to rebuild? within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; 2001 XCR 800 - 6500 miles on the stock motor. Sled runs great, with the exception of 3 sets of motor mounts and the water ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: XCR 800 - Time to rebuild?

This user has no status.

Member #
    2001 XCR 800 - 6500 miles on the stock motor. Sled runs great, with the exception of 3 sets of motor mounts and the water pump going out after about 1000 miles, this thing has been great. Just wondering if the amount of miles on the sled warrant a rebuild or should I take the "If it aint broke, don't fix it" approach. Haven't checked it this year yet but last year, beginning of season I checked compression and got 140psi accross all 3 holes. Let me know your thoughts!!

is been a while...how is
    everyone?

Member #
    I said the same thing last season, with 6200 on my '99 XC700. About 500 miles into the season she let go, of course there were other factors, but I wish I would have caught it before it let go because it would have been about $500 cheaper. If it were me, and you don't have snow yet, I would tear it down and check it out. You can measure everything and see if it's in spec and maybe just do crank seals and gaskets, you never know. If you wait till it goes it gets expensive...of course this whole sport is expensive so....just my opinion and keep us posted.

is early season permit ordered,
    enjoying thanksgiving weekend
    !

Member #
    My experience has been any miles one puts one after 6000 is borrowed time. Most 2 stroke engines are needing a freshing up after that about of time.
    I would invest in rebuilding it properly and you will get another 6000+ miles out of it.

THREE FOR ALL
    is ;left the sleds up north and
    we got 16" of snow down here!
    DAMMIT!!

Member #
    I'd say its time for a re-ring at the least. If it has the stock green carb slides those should be updated to the black ones. Green ones crack and break off and can enter engine and cause damage. A good engine tensioner or torque arm will eliminate the motor mount problem.

http://rpcracing.com/Catalog/page021.htm

Laid off
    is is still laid off and is on
    the job search

Member #
    If it was mine, I would rebuild it. That is a lot of miles and you don't want it to catch a ring and F your riding season up. Its not going to hurt and like said above your probably on borrowed time, time for a freshening up. Good luck!!

This user has no status.

Member #
    12,600 miles still unopened. I was going to rebuild this year and got a freshen low mile XCR. Last year still see high teens on the GPS with the long track on.Know of two more over 10k.
    Problally on borrowed time now..If time/money allows this year I'd like to peek in side and measure up the cly to see if new pistons are an option.
    I say it depends, Last skidoo I had I was buying pistons by the 6 pack.

This user has no status.

Member #
    This is a tough question….. It has 140 on all three, then your rings are still good for sure. I wouldn’t really be worried about a piston failing. If your set on rebuilding it you may as well do a complete rebuild, new crank bearings, seals and all. Personally though, if it still has compression that good I wouldn’t touch it. This isn’t a twin cylinder engine, triples seem to last much longer. How many miles were on your sled the first time the water pump went out?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I would have to say it had roughly 1000-1500 miles on it when the water pump went, it was at the end of its 2nd season, and when I first got it, I was just married and had no kids, so riding alot, needless to say, I've slowed down. I'm told, the water pump issue happnens alot to these. But, with the exception of that, the motor mounts, oh, and 2 out of 3 of the bellows were split on the VES last year, it has been a very good sled. I'll have the motor mount issue fixed here in the next few days with an aftermarket torque stop and High Perf Engineering mounts. Hence, the reason for the rebuild question as I'll have the motor out As for a rebuild, what should I be looking at, do I need to get into the crank or just a top end rebuild, such as gaskets and maybe rings? Like I said, it runs great, shows great compression I just don't want to be riding a ticking time bomb. Advice on easy, cheap maintenance is what I'm looking for for a little insurance.

Bring It, Don't Sing It!
    is snow on the ground but not for
    long... Not in mood yet to
    wrench on sleds... :(

Member #
    I'd say if it ain't broke then leave it alone. These are one of the most reliable engines Polaris had made, 10k is easy to achieve. Get the updated bellows from Dennis Kirk, they are cheaper than the dealer's pricing.

is been a while...how is
    everyone?

Member #
    I forgot to add that mine was 135psi on both cyl's...before it went. There are many variables as to whether it will last or not. If the motor is out it is that much easier to take a look at some things. Have the crank checked, mine had 6800 miles and HTG said to run it. I had the wide bearing installed on the PTO end. That saved me some money there. I am also said to be "anal" about my stuff. Good luck with your decision.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links