Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1996 POLARIS EFI NOT STARTING

This is a discussion on 1996 POLARIS EFI NOT STARTING within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Hey everyone I have a few questions i just purchased this snowmobile last night again its a 1996 polaris efi 500 When i went to ...

Thread: 1996 POLARIS EFI NOT STARTING

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hey everyone I have a few questions i just purchased this snowmobile last night again its a 1996 polaris efi 500 When i went to pick it up last night it ran fine first pull he started it.. then it died... battery was dead so he jumped it and it started again first pull and it ran fine drove it around for a while.. and was good. Now i bring it home and i try to start it it wont start what could be the problem i put a battery charger to it and tried starting it like that but nothing... Is there some kind of choke on these.. or a primer... please let me know what you all think... ok thank you

-mario-

is thiniking you can't fix
    stupid...

Member #
    i may be wrong but i think those needed a good battery to run. try getting a new battery and see what happens.

1991 Indy 400
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mario7820
    Hey everyone I have a few questions i just purchased this snowmobile last night again its a 1996 polaris efi 500 When i went to pick it up last night it ran fine first pull he started it.. then it died... battery was dead so he jumped it and it started again first pull and it ran fine drove it around for a while.. and was good. Now i bring it home and i try to start it it wont start what could be the problem i put a battery charger to it and tried starting it like that but nothing... Is there some kind of choke on these.. or a primer... please let me know what you all think... ok thank you

-mario-
    It won't run with a dead battery, replace it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Not a good idea to jump an EFI Polaris. Make sure your battery is fully charged with a tester. From cold turn the key on, pull the starter rope, at this point you should hear the fuel pump build up pressure. After the fuel pump stops- pull the rope one more time and if nothing happens someting is seriously wrong. When EFI sleds are running properly they should never take more than 2 or 3 pulls to get them running.
    No there is no choke or primer of any sort.
    Hopefully by jumping it you did not fry the brain box.

Make sure you have a good battery. EFI system needs solid power to work properly.

PS- oh sorry- welcome to the site. A lot of good info here! Have fun!

This user has no status.

Member #
    So buy a batt and try it... So does this mean the batt doesn't last that long because its always getting power drawn from it.. Whats the best batt i should buy..

This user has no status.

Member #
    No- the sled also has a charging system that recharges the battery but the battery must be GOOD! to start with. If the battery is bad that's the first place to start. Once you have figured out that the battery is good we can go from there and hopfully figure out what the problem is with your sled.

1991 Indy 400
    This user has no status.

Member #
    So buy a batt and try it... So does this mean the batt doesn't last that long because its always getting power drawn from it.. Whats the best batt i should buy..
    Off season I disconnect the negative battery lead while I store my 650 EFI RXL and the battery stays charged. I have been using the same battery for 3 years now and never had to charge it! You can get an Everstart battery (14AA) at Walmart for under $40.00, that's what I'm using and never had a problem. If you don't disconnect the battery off season it will go flat and the charges won't last. If you replace your battery, your 500 EFI will start 2nd or 3rd pull & run fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ltd440snowrider
    Not a good idea to jump an EFI Polaris. Make sure your battery is fully charged with a tester. From cold turn the key on, pull the starter rope, at this point you should hear the fuel pump build up pressure. After the fuel pump stops- pull the rope one more time and if nothing happens someting is seriously wrong. When EFI sleds are running properly they should never take more than 2 or 3 pulls to get them running.

Make sure you have a good battery. EFI system needs solid power to work properly.

Some 500 EFIs have the enrichment switch on them added at the dealer, RXLs have them from the factory. This acts as a choke on the EFIs. If you overload the electrical system, the fusable link should burnout to protect the ECU and sensors.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FuelieRXL
    Off season I disconnect the negative battery lead while I store my 650 EFI RXL and the battery stays charged. I have been using the same battery for 3 years now and never had to charge it! You can get an Everstart battery (14AA) at Walmart for under $40.00, that's what I'm using and never had a problem. If you don't disconnect the battery off season it will go flat and the charges won't last. If you replace your battery, your 500 EFI will start 2nd or 3rd pull & run fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ltd440snowrider

Some 500 EFIs have the enrichment switch on them added at the dealer, RXLs have them from the factory. This acts as a choke on the EFIs. If you overload the electrical system, the fusable link should burnout to protect the ECU and sensors.

Did not know that- thanks fuelie.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The enrichment switch does not provide extra fuel for starting a cold engine like a choke would. It was intended to address a lean bog condition which sometimes happens if you try to drive the sled with out fully warming up the engine. Not all RXL's had this switch.
    What it is is a momentary disconnect switch when you press it it will cut power to the ECU. This causes the ECU to shut down and then wake up. This resets the ECU's internal warmup timer essentially fooling the ECU into thinking the engine has just been started. The warmup timer alters the fuel map based on how long the engine has been running it is richer at first then trims back as time goes by. By pressing the button and shutting down the ECU momentarily the effect will be to enrich the fuel mixture for a short time.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Buy a new battery and start from there, just like most have already suggested. One dead cell in that battery you have and it will not work.

Links