Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Torn drive belt 96 Formula III 600

This is a discussion on Torn drive belt 96 Formula III 600 within the Ski-Doo forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; We have a 96 Formula III 600, and yesterday the drive belt tore. Knowing very little about snowmobiles, I could use some help finding and ...

Thread: Torn drive belt 96 Formula III 600

This user has no status.

Member #
    We have a 96 Formula III 600, and yesterday the drive belt tore. Knowing very little about snowmobiles, I could use some help finding and installing a new one. Any advice or suggestions?

Super Moderator
    is HATING old topics that pop up.
    If it's gone a year+ w/o a
    response, let it die!

Member #
    You will probably need the tool that opens up the secondary clutch. Your local dealer should have them on hand (as well as a belt), and know how to use them. The tool screws into a hole in the secondary, which spreads the clutch sheeves open. You can then easily slip a new belt on. Unscrew the tool, and you're done.

is the cost of the Pro is now
    less than $100 per mile,
    sweet!

Member #
    ^^^YUP

The "tool" that Quinlan is talking about is a threaded bolt with a handle.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_summit
    ^^^YUP

The "tool" that Quinlan is talking about is a threaded bolt with a handle.
    Thanks! Can you tell me where to get one? Also, I've found numerous places now where I can get a stock replacement, but they're a lot more expensive than aftermarket belts. I found a Dayco HPX that would work on it, but would it require any clutch adjustments or tuning, which I know nothing about? Is it better to stick with stock replacements or are there good alternatives? Also, is there any way you can get it on without the tool, or is it a must?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have never had to change anything when running a Dayco HPX belt. You should be fine, as long as the numbers cross reference from the oem stock belt.

This user has no status.

Member #
    the part number for your stock belt from ski-doo is 414918200, alot of people say original is the best way to go which is what i use. either way you go, when you get the new belt wash it in HOT soapy water to get all the oils etc out from when it was made, this will help stop the belt from slipping on the clutch..also i hear its a good idea to break the belt in for the first 20-30 miles of riding, meaning take it easy and dont just hammer on the throttle..i dont have much experience working on ski doo's but on my polaris there is no need for a tool to open the secondary just grab the back side of it and turn it while pushing it to open up, sounds like it may not work on ski doos tho.

is Plowing snow

Member #
    Check your tool kit, they did come with them

Links