Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1997 Ski Doo Mach 1 700 Advice

This is a discussion on 1997 Ski Doo Mach 1 700 Advice within the Ski-Doo forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I just picked up a real clean 1997 Ski Doo Mach 1 700 for $1200 bucks. The sled is in real nice shape, 144 newer ...

Thread: 1997 Ski Doo Mach 1 700 Advice

This user has no status.

Member #
    I just picked up a real clean 1997 Ski Doo Mach 1 700 for $1200 bucks. The sled is in real nice shape, 144 newer studs, plastic skis with newer wear rods and everything works as it should. The Mach 1 has good compression in all three cylinders and has 4071 miles on it. I'm just looking for a little advice on how to keep the sled running well for a couple thousand more miles (hopefully). I have read that these 700 triple motors are "bulletproof" and run great for a long time. I have also read that they are not Ski-Doo's best motor and few of them ever see 5000 miles without blowing. So 2 different opinions on the same motor. Any Ski-Doo buffs out there have any advice or tips on what a guy could do to keep this sled running good for a while before the inevitable meltdown happens? The previous owner says he never had a single problem with the sled and that it always performed awesome. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

is Where da snow?

Member #
    Some 700s ran forever some where junk. Biggest battle they had with this motor was keeping the center cylinder cool enogh. Watch your temps close! Make sure your jetting is right. Really wouldnt cost you much to throw a top end in it so thats always an option.

This user has no status.

Member #
    New rings probably would be a nice little insurance option. I also heard these 700 were prone to crank problems? Its hard to find a sled of this age with lower miles than this one had. I know there are some out there, but a guy could look forever to find one and I want to ride! I'll keep my eyes on that temp gauge BskidooC!

is Where da snow?

Member #
    Couple had crank issues but I dont think thats all its cracked up to be. Run good oil through it and the crank should hold out just fine. Its a great looking sled, been taken care of. If you have time a set of rings wouldnt be a bad call and hone all the cylinders. If you get into bad snow conditions a set of ice scratchers is a good call as well. Ride it and enjoy it.

is Plowing snow

Member #
    Run it, 5000 miles on a 2 stroke is alot, plan on a rebuild in the off season (crank and top end)
    Maintian it (as it sounds like it has been)and it should be fine
    new or used they all break at some time

Links