Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

02 MXZ 800...no power (electric)

This is a discussion on 02 MXZ 800...no power (electric) within the Ski-Doo forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; The machine is a buddies 02 800 MXZ. In March, last ride of the season his sled quit. It just shut down. When we tried ...

Thread: 02 MXZ 800...no power (electric)

This user has no status.

Member #
    The machine is a buddies 02 800 MXZ. In March, last ride of the season his sled quit. It just shut down. When we tried to start it...nothing. There is no spark, and the headlight doesn't even flicker when you pull it. I told him I think it is the stator...Only because there was no headlights as well as no spark. Well he took it to the shop. The said it was the brain (computer) and replaced that. They had to rebuild shocks and change track and it was supposed to be done. He called and they said they put the wrong brain in it and it will be another week.

Now I don't think it was ever the brain. I think it was the stator all along and they just changed a $500.00 part that never had a problem to begin with. Now they are giving him a line of crap while they diagnose and fix the real problem. Any thoughts on what the problem is. I thought that even if the brain went the headlights would still flicker when you pulled the rope. Let me know what you think...because I already have problems this dealer.

is is kind of a big deal

Member #
    This may be a long shot but inside the case by the stator, there should be a clip that holds the wires from the stator going out of the case. Last yr put a new stator in an '98 F3 700, worked excellent until the wires got cut through by not beiong held in place. So had to get yet another stator. Good thing its all on who you know. Also it would cut in and out, due to the fact that it was being grounded.

Liek I said, long shot but its worth a check, i knwo my 01 MXZ 800 has the clip there.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks, I'll definatley take a look

This user has no status.

Member #
    You might want to check the MPEM unit. I had what sounds like the same problem on my 02 summit 800. I was riding and it just quit. I tested everything (except the MPEM) with no results. On a whim I took my computer and put it in a running model of the same year and it didn't even fire, then I tried the working comp in my sled and it worked........Why it failed is beyond me but I have been riding it ever since with no problems.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yeah...they were saying it was the MPEM. IT works now, but I just didn't think that was it. I thought the MPEM just controled the spark and the DESS, not the headlights as well, but I guess I was proved wrong.

This user has no status.

Member #
    i just had the same thing happen to my sled yesterday an 2001 mxz 800 it had no spark but tonight i was checking it out and know it has spark, it fires up runs for a sec then stales out so could that be the ground for my stator

This user has no status.

Member #
    The MPEM or (Brain )..Controls spark advancement as well acts like a CDI ...your Dess key runs off of it Blah blah blah
    I have been working on Ski-doos a long time and I have seen some MPEMS go bad but if you think the problem with your buddies sled was the stator versus the MPEM when he picks it up ask for the old part back and when you go home plug in your old MPEM and see what happens cant hurt
    One thing you must understand though most guys at the dealers they will go through the book briefly do the tests and say YUP! its the MPEM cuz in fact the MPEM controls just about everything (as far as your lights I believe on that year there was a separate relay )but 9 times out of 10 it isnt the MPEM all a person would have to do is read the manual a bit closer and check the MPEM output to the coil and as far as testing all the electrical ask them what kind of electrical testing they performed was it static or dynamic
    JAYMAN I have seen those wires rub through from the stator flywheel ...it either runs great or runs for a little bit and dies or I have seen them run good cold but then they would warm up they would lose spark
    JAMES?....Before jumping in that far check all your kill switched to make sure the circuit is open when its supposed to be....it could be a bad ground ....I would suggest a service manual if you can acquire one fairly reasonable or a dealer who will let you look at one ....If not PM me and I can get you the test specs and the electrical diagram just PM me if you need this stuff

This user has no status.

Member #
    ThnX Crazymountainguy. Before spending the cash for the MPEM I checked everything. Traced all the wires to everything and tested them individually. Eventually I found the problem. It was the MPEM.
    I will remember what you said just in case it happens again and is not the MPEM.....

ThnX again.

This user has no status.

Member #
    i had took the sled to the ski doo shop near me and they said it was the stator and they where right so if your still wondering if there is no spark and no headlight it is most likley the stator.

This user has no status.

Member #
    OK fellas so here is the update on the situation. Keep in mind that they have had this sled since the beginning of November. It's now Jan 18. My bud has since bought a second sled because he was sick of waiting on this dealer while the snow is flying.

They have ordered and received the incorrect MPEM unit three times. They finally got the correct one and it turns out it didn't fix the problem. He called this week to find out what the hell is going on and they told him that they have now ordered a stator (which I suggested to them in November). He still does not have the sled back. We'll have to wait and see if they actually fix the problem this time. And to think this place is a pretty reputable place. Needless to say he is pretty pissed. Three months and still no sled. The only thing that kept him from completely losing it (which is usually a VERY scary sight) is that he bought a second sled and has got some riding in. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully this will be wrapped up soon.

Links