Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1994 SUMMIT 670

This is a discussion on 1994 SUMMIT 670 within the Ski-Doo forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I don't know much about ski-doo's, but I couldn't pass up this deal on a 1994 summit 670, with electric start, reverse and two up ...

Thread: 1994 SUMMIT 670

is snow where are you, I miss
    you!!!

Member #
    I don't know much about ski-doo's, but I couldn't pass up this deal on a 1994 summit 670, with electric start, reverse and two up seat.
    I've only seen a cell phone pic of it. but my bother-in law says it's in good shape.

I just wanted to know a little bit more about the sled.

he said it has altitude adjusted carbs...... what does that mean?
    and he said that it has clickers on the primary clutch to change the weights.
    where should they be set for North Dakota elevation, and for Island Park, ID elevation?

I've got a little bit of work to do on it, it hasn't been run in 2 years, but it was properly summerised for storage, I plan on going through the carbs, before I try and start it.
    is there anything In perticular I need to look at on the carbs?

thanks for any help.

oh, by the way, the sled has around 22XX miles, and I got it for $500.

Junior
    is is riding today

Member #
    i would tear that engine up or take it to a dealer to inspect it if its been sttinn for 2 years who knows what could happen

is the cost of the Pro is now
    less than $100 per mile,
    sweet!

Member #
    This sled is in the F2000 chassis which ended in 95 for the most part but went until 97 in the big triples. It's probably going to feel heavy to steer and won't have as much travel as today's sleds, but I think it was generally a good chassis. I think parts are pretty easy to come by for it yet. If you have any questions regarding this sled, Ron, the owner, is a great guy to talk with in Grand Forks at Gateway Sports.

I believe the altitude compensation on that era of Summits until either 97 or 98 was called HAC. I think it's a little different than today's dpm on the current Ski Doo's, but is ultimately altitude compensation. I think checking out the Ski Doo forum on Snowest would be a lot of help with dealing with the HAC system.

That sled should have the TRA adjustable clutch on it which adjusts top end RPMs which I think should be at either 7900 or 8100 RPMs. Adjusting the clutch is pretty easy. There are 3 clickers that must be turned and they all must be on the same number which ranges from 1-6. To adjust take the nut lose on the bolt, only loose enough so that you're able to turn the nut to the next clicker position. I believe there are rubber or plastic bushings inside the hole that you don't want to lose so don't remove the bolt from the hole. As far as the clickers are concerned you will just have to run the sled to get them set properly, it seems that every sled that I've had has been different.

However, when going to higher elevations you might need to do some spring changing. I know I had to change springs on my 99 670 when I rode out west to get some more rpms out of the sled.

I don't know if the older summits had this or not, you could probably check with your dealer, but the Summit 670 with DPM had small screens in the carbs that would plug up. I was told by my dealer to remove them and I didn't have any trouble after.

The 670 is a great motor, there are still guys doing work to the 670s and dropping them in REVs. The Summit 670 was pretty much the pioneer in the big twin mountain sleds. I fell in love with the Summits after seeing a 94 Summit when I was a kid looking for my first sled. You'll enjoy it.

is snow where are you, I miss
    you!!!

Member #
    picked it up this weekend.......

it's pretty nice.....

it is a 1995 model, that was first registered in 1994.

I thought since it sat for supposedly two years, I would have some work cut out for me....

turns out, it was well taken care of for that time, the carbs had no varnish at all.

I put in a new batterie and the electric start cranked nice.

I still want to change out the chain case and greese some of the spots.... but other than that, it's good to go as is.....

Attachment 151575

Attachment 151573

is looking for a black split
    headlight bezel for a zx
    chassis ski-doo

Member #
    id take one of those any day. congrats on the find, that was a good price for it too

We have all received a bail out. Jesus paid our debt 2000 years ago.
    is I'm a happy American clinging
    to my guns and religion. I
    carry a Bible and a .44
    Magnum everywhere I go.

Member #
    The HAC system compensates for altitude only, you still will have a rich running condition on hot days. But don't worry about it, the sled will still run just fine.

The HAC unit that mounts in the sir box has an adjustment screw on the back side that has some blue (most common color) loctite type material covering it, DO NOT ever break the seal and adjust the screw. The screw is factory set and changing it will set the HAC system off and cause motor damage fast. The only way to fix it is to buy a new one, last time I checked they were $300, ten years ago.

There should be a sticker on the clutch guard with a chart showing where you should have the TRA clickers set according to the altitude you are at. FOLLOW that chart when you are coming down in altitude. If you have the clickers set for 9000 feet and you drop down to sea level you run a good chance of burning the motor up. It was a quirk the HAC system had when the clutches were set to tight.

When we started setting up the 95's early in the season we got the first shipment of summits in just before Thanksgiving and sent a ton of 580's and 670's out the door in a matter of days. The next monday we had around 12 of them come back with blown motors. The problem was they were shipped with the clickers cranked up and we sold them at sea level. We called the factory right away, they set a couple up, ran them hard and burned a couple motors. They figured out the problem and sent out the fix. The 580's had a new TRA primary and the clutch guard sticker, the 670's only needed to have the clicker settings match altitude.

The sled is bullet proof, just make sure the clickers are set right.

You scored one heck of a deal for $500. The sled looks clean! Take care of it and it will last a long time.

Its not turbo lag, its foreplay
    is is watchin some crusty demons

Member #
    neighbor has a sled jsut like it with jaws pipes and stingers. that sled cackles really loudly and it goes pretty damn fast. i'm personally a huge fan of the 670 engine one of the best engines i think that there was cheap, powerful, and simple. it was pretty easy to pump 150hp out of those things.

This user has no status.

Member #
    you could get a hell of a lot more out of the 670 than 105 hp. Was that a typo? Most of them were producing the neighborhood of 125 to 130 horse about where 700 big twins are supposed to run. The really hot 670's though were the 98 and 99 summit X's and the 99 mxz 670 ho. They came with 44 mikuni carbs and the dpm computer. Mine would run side by side with my fathers 800 mach z triple to about 90 before the triple stretched its legs. Its a rotary valve ski-doo, if you don't tinker by throwing pipes or porting at it, it will run just about forever. If you absolutely need more power(who doesn't right?) take it to a ski-doo dealer an inquire about stage tunning. These were modifications that the factory sent out to make the sleds run just a little quicker, things like cut rotary valves, jetting for the carbs and clutching tune.

is looking for a black split
    headlight bezel for a zx
    chassis ski-doo

Member #
    ^^^ you learn something new everyday

Links