Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

setting choke cable Mikuni carb

This is a discussion on setting choke cable Mikuni carb within the Yamaha forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I have restored a Yamaha Excell340G (1983) and have it running very well. It has a Mikuni B48-34 butterfly carb. The one problem I have ...

Thread: setting choke cable Mikuni carb

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have restored a Yamaha Excell340G (1983) and have it running very well. It has a Mikuni B48-34 butterfly carb. The one problem I have is that the replacement cable I had to use to for the choke does not allow me to adjust the cable according to the service manual. The manual states that I should pull the cable sheath and it should separate from the metal screw adjuster by 1mm. Unfortunately, the cable sheath is firmly attached to the metal screw adjuster. So my only option is to try and "guess" the proper adjustment. As I stated, the machine runs great but it is hard to start since I do not have the choke set correctly. Any advice on how to make progress on this problem?

This user has no status.

Member #
    just make sure there is a little slack in the cable.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow
    just make sure there is a little slack in the cable.
    That is the problem, the cable sheath has no slack since it is crimped to the adjusting screw. I know cable itself moves since I can pull out the choke lever. My problem is to determine how to adjust the choke by moving the adjusting screw in or out.

is SOMEONE WRECK JIMMIE
    JOHNSON!!! LETS GO COUSIN
    CARL!!!

Member #
    Find something 1mm thick. Pull the choke lever out and put the 1mm thick object in between the lever and the cowl it's attached to and then adjust it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ok, good suggestion. I now have the lever adjusted so it moves in and out the 1 mm. Now how do I make the adjustment at the other end where the adjustment screw is located. I can move the screw and therefore the "plunger" up and down the enrichment sleve (choke) more than in inch. I need to get this adjustment correct so the lever will work properly. So how far up or down do I move this adjustment screw?

is SOMEONE WRECK JIMMIE
    JOHNSON!!! LETS GO COUSIN
    CARL!!!

Member #
    I would just take the plunger off and with it attatched to the cable I would move the choke lever from off to on to check the action. Make sure when the choke is off there is a little bit of slack so that the spring will completely return the plunger all the way down inside the carb. As long as it returns all the way when the choke is off you should be fine.

This user has no status.

Member #

Great suggestions and this will be my approach today. Thanks for the good idea. Lets hope I have the skill to make it work.

This user has no status.

Member #
    You should be able to feel the slack in the choke switch. If you just grab it and pull it, you should feel when you actually start to pull the plunger. Adjust the freeplay to 1mm and you are done.

Links