Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

2007 Phazer won't start

This is a discussion on 2007 Phazer won't start within the Yamaha forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Just purchase frothe wife a couple of month ago. Never had it open where's the battery? I think I ran it dead. Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Phazer won't start

This user has no status.

Member #
    Just purchase frothe wife a couple of month ago. Never had it open where's the battery? I think I ran it dead. Thanks

This user has no status.

Member #
    The battery is on the right hand side of the snowmobile under the black access panel. You will need a straight screw driver to loosen the 1/4 turn fasteners.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I dont remember...werent some of the Phazers EFI others carbed?

did it turn over? Then you just ran it dead cranking it? If EFI do you hear the fuel pump turn on? If not start there, check for fuses and relays. Also pull the seat and check to be sure a mouse didnt chew throuhgh the fuel pump wires. Seen that on TY.

Change plugs?

Sorry I really cant help until I find out if carbed or EFI. Also if battery was weak its possible it would turn but not provide spark.

is is ready for summer to go
    bye-bye!!!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Garceau
    I dont remember...werent some of the Phazers EFI others carbed?
    Nope. Thats why the engine in Phazer is called the, "Genesis 80 FI". FI = fuel injection.

Change plugs?
    Thats a possibility. If the OP tried to give it gas while cranking the engine, it likely has wet-fouled the sparkplugs. They are known for that and especially with a 4-stroke you should never, ever touch the throttle while trying to start the engine.
    Id start by making sure that the battery is charged and then making sure that the engine has fresh sparkplugs in it.
    Its probably going to take a while to get fuel back to the engine because whatever fuel was left in the system has likely evaporated over the summer months.

This user has no status.

Member #
    OK if Fuelie engine and you changed the plugs and charged the battery - first things I would do.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime up when you rotate the key, before the starter position? If not, then check relays, also check might want to pull your seat and check to be sure nothing has damaged any wires to your pump.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Fuel pump is woring I can hear. I think I might have reall y flooded it. I never touched teh gas and it just keeped cranking. Thanks guys

bye-bye!!!

Member #
    If you flooded it, change the sparkplugs. They are likely wet-fouled.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Where and how do I change the plugs? I've looked and can not find them anywhere. I took both side panels off and I can't find them. Please let me know where they are.

bye-bye!!!

Member #
    You have to remove the seat and loosen the gastank bolts so that you can slide it back a bit.

This user has no status.

Member #
    ^^^ Unfortunately, you'll need to do quite a bit more than that to get at the plugs.

To the OP, I've never actually changed the plugs on mine, but I can get you to the point where you'll have a bare gas tank. From that point you'll have to snoop around to see what needs to be disconnected, because the gas tank will have to come off to get at the plugs.

2 bolts hold on the seat, back by the muffler. Remove and slide seat off.
    Remove headlight cover. Pull up to pop it out of the rubber grommets (This will take some force).
    Remove both plastic upper panels, 3 bolts each. One was hidden under the headlight cover.

You now should have the bare tank with a colored plastic piece running down the middle. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you need to remove the plastic piece as well. The ignition switch is attached to it, so be sure to disconnect that as well.

The tank will probably have at least 3 lines running out of it (vent line, feed line, return line), you'll also have to disconnect the fuel pump from the wiring harness.

With the tank off you should be able to see the spark plugs now.

As a caution, there are A LOT of wires and electronics behind those upper panels and the gas tank, and they are crammed in there pretty tight. If you've never torn into this sled before, go slow, and be aware of unseen electrical connections or hidden boxes so that it doesn't become a very expensive day for you.

This was somewhat common when the Phazers first came out, but mostly because people were trying to start them like 2-strokes, cracking the throttle and turning the key. Also, you CANNOT touch the throttle when the red "cold coolant" light is on. The computer is in "choke" mode, and hitting the throttle before that goes out WILL foul the plugs.

Since you bought an '07, were all of the updates done to it? If not, I strongly suggest you take it to a Yamaha dealer and have them done. It shouldn't cost anything.

If you need more help, let me know and I can go look at mine more closely. I did the disassembly up there from memory, so hopefully I didn't miss any steps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links