Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Walbro WF carb

This is a discussion on Walbro WF carb within the Vintage forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; I have a Walbro WF-1B carb with problems. I just had it rebuilt and apparently can't get it adjusted. I have it on a Kawasaki ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Walbro WF carb

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a Walbro WF-1B carb with problems. I just had it rebuilt and apparently can't get it adjusted. I have it on a Kawasaki 440. It starts up great every time, but bogs down every time I hit the gas. It never will open up. I have adjusted the high speed and idle screws on the top every way but Sunday with no luck. What am I missing here?

is is Dazed and confused

Member #
    Well I just ordered a carb kit for my 399 cheetah.
    Should be interesting???

I hope you find your problem.

I rebuilt a tilson carb, one pull it would run, now all of a sudden, it won't suck up any gas, Ill have to tear it down, I guess.

Good luck

This user has no status.

Member #
    I should mention that I am getting WAY too much fuel to the engine no matter how I adjust the two screws on the top of the carb. Fuel is even coming out of the intake. Is there something else to adjust? It has a fixed high speed jet located under a brass hex cap, but I would have thought that would be cleaned and/or replaced during the rebuild(?). I'm not a big fan of Walbro after this episode. I do have an old Tillotson HD87A from a Kawa 340 that I think works on the 440, too. Maybe I should swap the carbs altogether and beat the hell out of the walbro with a baseball bat. HELP ANYONE!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hey pantherpride,
    I'd say try the Tillotson carb and see if it corrects the problem. The HD should be the same mounting spec. as the WF. Start the low and high speed screws at about 1 1/2 turns out and adjust them as needed. I use to replace the carbs with a Mikuni BN diaphragm carb from Chaparral and they worked so much better. Now adays I don't think you can find them. It would have been so much easier if the early sleds came with Mikuni slide valve carbs. Good luck!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hey pantherpride, ive got a kawi 340 with a walbro aswell, i had it working fine, the thing would lift the skis EASY, but later i found out a mag oil seal was leaking, so ive rebuilt the engine, and decided to rebuild the carb while im at it, should be back together by the end of the week, well see how it goes...

This user has no status.

Member #
    The needle is not seated properly or is stuck open and the fuel is going right through the carb. I would try to put a mikuni round slide carb on instead of the walboro or tilitson carb. they ar a pain in the butt. you have to constantly put diaframs in them and the needle valves always stick. i put a mikuni on my 399 rotax and also on a friends 300 rotax and they ran alot better.

is After HeyDays, I got dirt in
    places I didn't know I had.

Member #
    We used to have a '79 Scorpion Whip 440 that had a Walbro. It was hard to start no matter how we adjusted it. It often was tough to get it to not run rich no matter what we did. And you often had to goose the throttle while you were stopped because it didn't want to idle. Baseball bat sounds like a winner.
    Originally posted by pantherpride
    [br]I should mention that I am getting WAY too much fuel to the engine no matter how I adjust the two screws on the top of the carb. Fuel is even coming out of the intake. Is there something else to adjust? It has a fixed high speed jet located under a brass hex cap, but I would have thought that would be cleaned and/or replaced during the rebuild(?). I'm not a big fan of Walbro after this episode. I do have an old Tillotson HD87A from a Kawa 340 that I think works on the 440, too. Maybe I should swap the carbs altogether and beat the hell out of the walbro with a baseball bat. HELP ANYONE!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Since I don't have a Mikuni on hand, I am trying the switch from Walbro to Tillotson. I connected the main fuel line to the bottom of the bowl and the impulse line to the fitting on the side of one of the bowl plates. However, there is still one fitting I don't understand. According to the Tillotson HD diagram I found, they call it a body channel elbow connection. It looks like a regular size fuel fitting, except it has only a pin size hole in the end. What do I do with this?

This user has no status.

Member #
    The the fitting you are talking about is probably the return line. All tillotson carbs I have ever seen have a return line that feeds back into the tank, so if you have your main fuel line on the screw in filter on the bottom of the carb and the vaccum line hooked up all that is left over is the return line.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Canadian redneck...that's pretty damn funny. I guess I qualify for Wisconsin redneck. Anyway, if that's the case, how will I manage that if the only fitting on the tank is being used to draw fuel to the carb? Can I get away with plugging it or does the return fuel have to go somewhere?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links