Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

fuel/oil mix for 79 polaris?

This is a discussion on fuel/oil mix for 79 polaris? within the Vintage forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; hi, im hoping this isnt a dumb question, i dont want to wreck my engine, but does anyone know the gas/oil ratio to go into ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fuel/oil mix for 79 polaris?

This user has no status.

Member #
    hi, im hoping this isnt a dumb question, i dont want to wreck my engine, but does anyone know the gas/oil ratio to go into a 1979 polaris 500? ive never owned a sled and the guy i bought this from said the motor was rebuilt last year and theres maybe 50 miles on it. it starts right up and everything but smokes like hell. ive never even owned a dirtbike so im lost lol. he says it went through the radar at like 90ish??? mph. i find that hard to believe, but im hoping hehe. any info on how to store, look after and what to look out for would be extremely cool. like i said ive never owned a sled and only rode my brothers old 70's ones a couple times. thanks a lot for any info, jay

is just moved to a house thats 5x
    bigger with a 2 bay garage.

Member #
    i aint sure what the ratio is ive always mixed 1 quart of castrol 2 stroke to 5 gallons its way rich but they dont blow up and never really fouled plugs. just make sure you keep everything greased up it will help on the maintence.

This user has no status.

Member #
    thanks, im not even sure what to grease lol. he said he put new sliders on and gas lines and stuff. i have to start reading up on these things cuz ive only owned cars and these are a hell of a lot different and i want it to run well. i wanted to try it out tonight and its still got a 1/4 of a tank of gas so at least i can put some in now. thanks again, jay

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jay.w
    thanks, im not even sure what to grease lol. he said he put new sliders on and gas lines and stuff. i have to start reading up on these things cuz ive only owned cars and these are a hell of a lot different and i want it to run well. i wanted to try it out tonight and its still got a 1/4 of a tank of gas so at least i can put some in now. thanks again, jay
    just look around on rear suspension there should be some grease fittings like a car and maybe some on the front.

This user has no status.

Member #
    thanks alot, i'll go out now.

Member #
    have fun on it, i have a 1980 yamaha excel v im working on now for around the house

is Ready for Opening Day
    Baseball!

Member #
    40:1, 1 pint to 5 gallons not 5 dollars
    If its a centurion 500 triple,that sled will do 90. I had a heavily modded one years ago, a lil nose heavy and too much motor for a leaf sprung sled IMO for the trails,but oh what fun to drive

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by xc600rmk
    40:1, 1 pint to 5 gallons not 5 dollars
    If its a centurion 500 triple,that sled will do 90. I had a heavily modded one years ago, a lil nose heavy and too much motor for a leaf sprung sled IMO for the trails,but oh what fun to drive
    i put five gallons. learn to read

This user has no status.

Member #
    thanks guys for all the help i was really nervous about not adding enough. it would be cool if it does 90 even 60-70 would be something lol. i'll look for those fittings too. what amount of snow on the ground is good to go? can u hurt the sled? ive heard of grass races. does the pavement kill the front skis and track? these are probably the most basic questions for u guys, im pretty pumped to actually have a sled lol. thanks, jay

Member #
    ya pavement does a nomber on stuff. road crossings and stuff aint bad just dont run it down the road to much. if its liquad cooled youll need close to a foot of snow to ride for extended periods. if its fan 6 inches will work to play around on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links