Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Mikuni carb adjust ,HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Mikuni carb adjust ,HELP!!! within the Engine forums, part of the The Performance Tuning Shop category; I just recently purchased a 1995 arctic cat panther 440,air cooled. I'm having a problem with the carb. when I bought it ,it ran great.Shortly ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mikuni carb adjust ,HELP!!!

This user has no status.

Member #

I just recently purchased a 1995 arctic cat panther 440,air cooled. I'm having a problem with the carb. when I bought it ,it ran great.Shortly after it started to act up.so I cleaned the carb (mikuni slide valve)and now I cant seem to get it set right to even run!I'm getting fuel because every time I pull out the spark plugs they're wet with gas. I should also mention that the sled has been converted to run on pre-mix gas because of previous problems with the oil injector.I have good spark and have a hard time believing it's a timing problem because of how well it ran before.I'm hoping to have it running before the snow flies!! My kids would definitly appreciate your help!!

This user has no status.

Member #
    try cleaning the carb again, maby you missed something the first time. and put in a new set of plugs. also are your plugs getting wet after only one pull?

This user has no status.

Member #
    cleaned carb twice and have new plugs.yes, seems plugs get wet quickly

is Plowing snow

Member #
    check compression 110psi + is best

If that is okay, then pull the exhaust (y pipe) and take a light and look at the piston skirts, if they are broken of badly scared, its piston time

If that is all okay, and you are sure your carbs and ignition is good, then you may also be flooded, turn the fuel off, hold the throttle wide open, and start pulling your guts out

good luck

Snow? Where are you!?
    is Bored today took the ol' '91
    500 polaris for a little spin
    around the back field. She
    hooks up pretty good on dirt.
    (new grass drag racer?
    hahaha.)

Member #
    Did you change any of the settings on the jets/ idle adjustments? Best way to start is going through all your adjustments. Carbs can be simply yet finicky to any change. Spray some carb cleaner, or 110 octane in the carbs, see if you can get it started that way, and make your adjustments from there. Try screwing your jet screws all the way in and about 1 and a half turns out. If she runs from that point on, keep checking your plugs to tell if shes running lean or rich. Then continue to adjust from there.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have changed all the settings on the carb. I've started with changing the gas in case it was bad,I have set the large jet screw 1 1/2 turns out from the seated position. I set the cable adjuster on top of the carb at a point where I can feel the slide valve start to pick up.I set the main jet needle at the second position up from the bottom.NOW, I know I have to set the low idol mixture screw, but I do not know where to set it at to get me started.Thank you to all who are helping me!!!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by randog
    cleaned carb twice and have new plugs.yes, [highlight=red]seems plugs get wet quickly[/highlight=red]
    You could clean carbs all day long sounds to me like needle and seat.

is Plowing snow

Member #
    get the specs for your carb settings, and go from there, I am guessing you have no idea what you are doing! how did you clean your carbs? and why have you messed with the settings?

PS can you answer the Q's in my first post, and I will help you

Just because the sled started acting up does not mean it is a carb issue.

450 horse ditch bannger
    is though he blew up his cat lol

Member #
    well if your problem started after you cleaned you carb's, it because something is wrong with your carbs. As stated about it sounds like you need a needle and seat. Other wise did you mess with the adjustment tab on the needle and seat? are you sure its not flooded to the max. I have over looked a simple flooded problem before.I like to turn off the gas, pull out the plugs and pull it like 20 30 times. if that don't work i would jump right to a needle and seat. their fairly cheap.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrawillie
    Quote Originally Posted by randog
    cleaned carb twice and have new plugs.yes, [highlight=red]seems plugs get wet quickly[/highlight=red]
    You could clean carbs all day long sounds to me like needle and seat.
    Again sled is filling with gas.NEEDLE and SEAT!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 440_jag
    well if your problem started after you cleaned you carb's, it because something is wrong with your carbs. As stated about it sounds like you need a needle and seat. Other wise did you mess with the adjustment tab on the needle and seat? are you sure its not flooded to the max. I have over looked a simple flooded problem before.I like to turn off the gas, pull out the plugs and pull it like 20 30 times. if that don't work i would jump right to a needle and seat. their fairly cheap.
    FINALLY[thumb][thumb]
    You type faster than I do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links