Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

what kind of oil do i use?

This is a discussion on what kind of oil do i use? within the Engine forums, part of the The Performance Tuning Shop category; so i got a 97 ARCTIC CAT ZR580 not knowing anything about maitnence or any of the sort (i know what i need too about ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what kind of oil do i use?

This user has no status.

Member #
    so i got a 97 ARCTIC CAT ZR580 not knowing anything about maitnence or any of the sort (i know what i need too about 2 cycle like chain saws and weed eaters and such) so im thinking to myself ok now i need 2 cycle oil soo i go to wal-mart and buy 2 cycle oil (super tech 2 cycle TW-W3 to be exact) i based my decision base on the back label saying it was sufficient for fuel injected systems as well as snow mobiles than after adding the oil and wiping off the oil reservoir and see a sticker that says "use arctic cat 50:1 oil" im thinking to myself oh crap now what so my questions are as follows:

1) is it safe to run my sled with this oil in it ive only added maybe one of the little bottles worth of 2 cycle oil to the reservoir.

2) what is a good equivalent to arctic cat 50:1 oil as i have no where near here to buy the oil from?

3) what is really the diffrence between the arctic cat 50:1 oil vs any other 2 cycle oil from other peoples experiance what is a good and economical oil to put in my sled?

2strokes4life
    This user has no status.

Member #
    You should be fine all oil has to meet a quality so it can be sold but i would run acrtic cat semi-synthetic oil in it.

Super Moderator
    This user has no status.

Member #
    You should be fine to run the SuperTech 2-cycle, as long as it was not for outboards. You do not need to run Cat oil in your sled. Any 2-cycle oil that is designed for sleds should work. You do not have powervalves, so you will not need a synthetic. I run the Cat 50:1 in my ZR for the mere fact that it's only $22/gal.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan
    You should be fine to run the SuperTech 2-cycle, as long as it was not for outboards. You do not need to run Cat oil in your sled. Any 2-cycle oil that is designed for sleds should work. You do not have powervalves, so you will not need a synthetic. I run the Cat 50:1 in my ZR for the mere fact that it's only $22/gal.
    why would it mater if it were for outboards? come to to think of it it does say outboard on the bottle in smaller print under there super tech logo all though it does say it can be used in snow mobiles on the back label ( why i bought it in the first place $12 a gallon) so what is this going to be a major issue than?

Super Moderator
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Some outboard oils have to high of a pour point...basically they aren't designed for the extreme cold temps that snowmobiles can encounter. There can be other issues to. Since it's tcw3 rated and says it can be used in snowmobiles, I would think you'd be fine.

This user has no status.

Member #
    well than thats a good deal i suppose lol so should i use the rest of what i have or should i buy some other kind of oil that is specificly for snowmobile use?

This user has no status.

Member #
    UPDATE:
    well started the sled to move it into the garage just a second ago turned it off and now it wont start back up.... guessing fouled plug cuz of the oil ive had it about a week and have never had an issue starting it especally after its already been running once guessing i fouled my plugs time to grab the turky baster and get that shit outta there i suppose and track down somthing else

This user has no status.

Member #
    There's something else going on here than your oil.
    I've been running Supertech in My cat's for 3 season's now, and have'nt had any oil related problem's.
    Any TC-W3 oil will work in these machine's.
    If you are oil fouling the plug's, it would most likely be the injection pump adjustment.
    But I seriously doudt it has anything to do with the oil.
    Rick

arctic cat fanatic!
    is is going to cancun on sunday!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by korn16ftl
    UPDATE:
    well started the sled to move it into the garage just a second ago turned it off and now it wont start back up....
    wow this sounds awfully similar to my best friend's sled. he picked up a 1994 AC Cougar and it started right up at the guy's house, then he brought it by my place to show me, and it wouldnt start back up. they took it in to a place and they said it was the stator. he bought the sled for 50 bucks and had to put up another 500 to get it fixed. lets hope its nothing along those lines.

and to answer your topic question...

many people swear by the name brand oil, but it seems to me that the only difference is the color and price. my step father actually is one of those people, he is says that the cheap stuff just doesnt burn as clean. i say, buy the cheapest oil you can find.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by randall
    Quote Originally Posted by korn16ftl
    UPDATE:
    well started the sled to move it into the garage just a second ago turned it off and now it wont start back up....
    wow this sounds awfully similar to my best friend's sled. he picked up a 1994 AC Cougar and it started right up at the guy's house, then he brought it by my place to show me, and it wouldnt start back up. they took it in to a place and they said it was the stator. he bought the sled for 50 bucks and had to put up another 500 to get it fixed. lets hope its nothing along those lines.

and to answer your topic question...

many people swear by the name brand oil, but it seems to me that the only difference is the color and price. my step father actually is one of those people, he is says that the cheap stuff just doesnt burn as clean. i say, buy the cheapest oil you can find.
    well its not the stator as far as i know (uncle in law replaced it last season whole reason i bought the sled was cuz i knew how well it was taken care of) but i cleaned the plugs and no issues with the plugs since maybe thay were just a lil dirty to start with (it did sit most of the summer spring and fall season without being ran) when i took en out thay were black and fuel soaked hell i dunno all i know is it appears to be running find maybe ill possably run the recomended oil for peace of mind dont have a bunch of $$ to sink into the sled and all

i almost forgot how much diffrent a 2 cycle sounds from a 4 and went into anal mode after finally getting it started after cleaning the plug im all like OMG i think i f'd somthing up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links