1995 xcr wont rev up unless on half choke
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on 1995 xcr wont rev up unless on half choke within the Engine forums, part of the The Performance Tuning Shop category; I have a 1995 xcr with the triple in it i recently cleaned the carbs (to the best of my knowledge) because it wasnt started ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1995 xcr wont rev up unless on half choke

This user has no status.

Member #

I have a 1995 xcr with the triple in it i recently cleaned the carbs (to the best of my knowledge) because it wasnt started for 2 years. I got them back in and got it to start and it idles at 2k rpm and will idle forever but when i go to give it gas it dies. If i put it on half choke it will rev fine but wont idle. If i mess with the air screw i can get it to rev to about half throttle if i slowly give it gas. Please help thanks.
    Last edited by 1st-xcr1995; 03-03-2016 at 09:06 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Also i put new plugs in. It seems to be getting plenty of gas and it is fresh gas.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm assuming this has the Mikuni slide type carbs on it. It sounds like you're not getting enough gas to the mid/full throttle. Sounds like the main jet is being restricted. By "choking it" on the Mikuni's, you're really only dumping more fuel which would explain why it runs better at half choke. If you just cleaned them, I'm guessing that not all 3 mains are plugged. Maybe the needles are dropped down the mains and restricting them. Make sure you put the slides back together right with the needles attached correctly.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I took all the main jet out of all of them and the middle cylinder one was plugged and i poked it with a needle them soaked it and sprayed it out other than that i just sprayed all the little holes out in the carb and took the floats off. Inside the slides what notch is that little clip supposed to be on? Could that be a problem?
    Last edited by 1st-xcr1995; 03-03-2016 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Grammer

This user has no status.

Member #
    Also the throttle seems to be super touchy i tried the drill bit trick to sync the carbs and i put them at .25 but where does the idle screw that raises the slide come in play? Are you supoosed to have that all the way out while you sync them? I dont know if i understood how to do it correctly

This user has no status.

Member #
    Check your spark plugs, I'm thinking it may just be one cylinder giving you a problem. Look for one that is lighter in color than the others. This should be your problem cylinder. The float could be stuck closed starving the cylinder of fuel. Also, if you crack the throttle wide open, does it wind out or die like you say it does at half throttle? If you're only having a mid range problem maybe one of the needles is set to low. Did you remove the needles and if you did, did you put the clip back on the same spot?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I pulled the plugs and looked at them and they were all shiny yet no color if i remember right though two of them had a little bit of dark liquid on them. If i have the choke off and open the throttle all the way open it dies instantly, half choke it will open all the way up. I did take the needle out, it sits in the slide correct? I believe i put them on the same notch as before. I didnt mess with them except i clip fell off so i put it on the one i thought it was on. Would being 1 notch off on 1 effect it that much?

This user has no status.

Member #
    No, being one notch off wouldn't affect it that much. The two plugs with dark liquid are what I would expect to see after running it on half choke, the dry/clean plug is the cylinder giving you the problem. Pull that carb off and check for a sticky float or something obstructing fuel flow. Also look for a pinched or kinked fuel line going to that carb.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks alot ill take a look at that saturday i know i had a tough time getting those fuel lines routed back over to the carbs ao maybe i pinched one off. Ill let you know how it goes, i really hope i can get it running
    Last edited by 1st-xcr1995; 03-03-2016 at 07:53 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I just ran out and looked at the plugs again, the pto side plug where to floats were originally stuck had the dark liquid, the middle cylinder where the main jet used to be plugged also had the dark liquid, the recoil side cylinder where i put a new carb boot on was dry but had a little bit of a golden color to the plug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links