Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

96 skidoo formula 500 sls won't go over 60

This is a discussion on 96 skidoo formula 500 sls won't go over 60 within the Engine forums, part of the The Performance Tuning Shop category; we just took the formula against the 440 and I did good in the deep snow, it just feels different, probly the heavier formula dosn't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 96 skidoo formula 500 sls won't go over 60

This user has no status.

Member #
    we just took the formula against the 440 and I did good in the deep snow, it just feels different, probly the heavier formula dosn't spin out as bad, however on the straightaway I couldn't get over 55, the 440 pulled away from me like i wasn't hardly moving. Tried leaning it all the way with no results so I moved it back, thinking maybe secondary clutch? It revs up to about 4.5 on the tach before the primary clutch kicks in, is this normal?

Sledaholic
    is is hoping for a ride tomorrow

Member #
    Yup, sounds normal to me. Whats your final rpm. 55 doesnt sound too bad for deep snow. Sleds have to work a lot harder than when on hardpack where theres hardly any resisatance. Try walking on hardpack and then walking in deep snow, and see what takes more energy.

This user has no status.

Member #
    hmmm can't remeber i think it was about 7 but not sure, the straightaway was hardpack that we raced on

wally
    is wally

Member #
    back in the days buddy of mine had a 5500 ski doo blizard with a 521 cc fan cooled sled(i think thats right) he would get steaming because 1st of all my 340 invader would smoke him and also my buddys 400 free air arctic cat ,would also walk the dog with him
    I would clean and rejet ,,most sleds are way to rich to start with ,2 check the secondary clutch out

This user has no status.

Member #
    hmmm, ok I tried it some more and if I hammer it off the line I can smoke the 440 but then i top out at 50 or 60 and He blows me away, If I ease into it I can sometimes get it to go 75-83 but not always. The secondary clutch seemed really tight, the spring was on the tightest setting so I moved it down quite a bit so its a lot easier to move by hand, and it didn't make a difference at all. the other thing I notice is a lot of oil coming out of the exhaust gaskets on the motor, tried leanin out the needles, with no results. The clutch kicks in at 4.5 on the tach and if I hammer it it goes up to 7.5 all the way up to about 50-55mph then drops down to about 6 and stays there. A guy I know suggested the fuel filter, I blew through it and it is perfect, however it is a very small filter only about 1 1/2 inch long and maybe half again the size of the line.

wally
    is wally

Member #
    H'm that should be fine ,may need to rejet ,,(main jet) check your'e plugs if they are blackish ,drop one size main then try again ,,all the sleds i have have been rejetted ,before i purchased them or by me and have had to go down up to 3 sizes ,like say from 360-to 330's etc

This user has no status.

Member #
    I would try adjusting the clickers on the primary up one notch at a time, Im guessing they are at 1 or 2, I dont think the ski-doo tachs are that accurate, my brothers formula 583 is MUCH faster with the clickers on 5 then on anything lower, the tach will hit 8000, even though peak power for that motor is much lower( I think the motor is actually running lower then 8000) Also, lube up your secondary clutch with a thin coat of MOLY grease and if no avail with turning up the clickers, set them back to where they were, loosen secondary more, and then repeat the clickers if needed., This is definitaly a clutching issue

This user has no status.

Member #
    ok I"ll give that a try, is the primary clutch bad to get apart, always a little afraid of opening something up and getting a bunch of springs and teeny tiny parts flying out =) I'm gonna put the secondary back to spring positions 2 and 6 where it was I think. Did get a bigger fuel filter figured that so far it was the cheapest easiest thing to try, maybe it'll suprise me and work.

This user has no status.

Member #
    HEY!! thanks for all your input guys, The problem is solved it was a fuel filter, I put on a big universal filter and got rid of the little one and......BANG instant results waaayyyyy more power in deep snow and good top speed of about 75 ( havn't tried it on really good hardpack yet) but 75 is plenty good for me.
    Back on the trails- til' the next crisis [8D]

Keep on ridin'!!

is checkin out the babes on sleds

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by formularider
    Any one had trouble with this?
    My 96 formula 500 sls seems to run good until I hit 60 65 then speed drops off or increases very slowly,( I have gotten it up to 83 but it took a long time) in deep snow it dosn't even seem to spin out just slowly drops speed.
    I was gonna say check the clutch...
    my sls does 90 on hard pack. Great sled ! super reliable

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links