Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Track too tight?

This is a discussion on Track too tight? within the Suspension and Chassis forums, part of the The Performance Tuning Shop category; I need some advice. When I recently changed my slides on my 95 XLT I backed out the idlers till the axle was all the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Track too tight?

is hopes the snow is on it's way

Member #
    I need some advice. When I recently changed my slides on my 95 XLT I backed out the idlers till the axle was all the way forward and after I put the slides in it seems as though the track is a little tight. It's not real bad but I figured that with the idler all the way out it would be on the loose side, not still tight. The only thing I can think that would be causing this is that the skid is on the lower set of holes in the tunnel. Should I move the mounting holes forward to gain some adjustment? I seems that being the factory holes that they should be right doesn't it? What should I do?

Name: Mike
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Did you loosen the rear axle bolt? You need to loosen that or you will be able to back the adjuster bolts all the way out and tension will not change.

Member #
    The axle is all the forward in it's adjustment. I loosened the bolts on each side as far as I can withoout actually removing them. Luckily I checked my track with the back of the sled off the ground and it's running straight. I don't think there will be any problems but I just figured there might be more adjustability.

is took the sled out today...pure
    bliss

Member #
    hm...odd...well if its loose it will ratchet when you ride it..especially when carving in powder, just seems wierd that you can't get alot of slack when adjusted all of the way forward.

is hiding in your girlfriend's closet!
    is Absolutely sick and tired of
    Iowa winters!!!

Member #
    Jeff, just to make sure that everyone here is understanding each other fully, please take a look at the picture below...

[attachment=18728]

daktruckie is wondering if you loosened the bolts that the green arrow is pointing at and the ones that they yellow arrow are pointing at or just the ones that the yellow arrow is pointing at?

The green arrow bolts tighten/lock the axle into place while the yellow arrow bolts are the adjustment bolts. If the lock bolts haven't been loosened, adjustment is impossible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name: Mike
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Yea thats what I meant, thanks for that pics []

Member #
    Ah, I see what you mean now. Thanks for the pic. I must be one of those visual learners.

is hiding in your girlfriend's closet!
    is Absolutely sick and tired of
    Iowa winters!!!

Member #
    Me too Jeff. I like pictures...

Especially the ones I can use my crayolas on []

Anyway, I hope that helped you get your track tension set. I wasn't sure if you were aware that those other bolts needed to be loosened first. I didn't want to come off like I thought you were a dolt either. But like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words []

Member #
    My axle is still all the way forward though (where the track should be it's loosest) and the track is still too tight. Like I said before it's not so tight that it's gonna be a problem but I assumed that it should be looser you know?

This user has no status.

Member #
    It sounds like the wrong track...or something isn't right, I can assure you after some riding it will stretch a bit. Still a mystery...why it's too tight!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links