Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

How to: Change the oil on a 2007 Yamaha Phazer

This is a discussion on How to: Change the oil on a 2007 Yamaha Phazer within the How To forums, part of the The Performance Tuning Shop category; WARNING: GIVE YOURSELF PLENTY OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!! 1. Warm up sled 2. Remove the headlight cover by pulling on the back of the cover to pop ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to: Change the oil on a 2007 Yamaha Phazer

This user has no status.

Member #
    WARNING: GIVE YOURSELF PLENTY OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Warm up sled

2. Remove the headlight cover by pulling on the back of the cover to pop the pins out of the grommets
    [attachment=57808]

3. Remove the 2 colored side panels using a 10mm socket and removing 3 bolts from each panel
    [attachment=57809][attachment=57810]

4. Remove the VERY small screw retaining clips from the back of the headlight assembly
    [attachment=57811]

5. Measure the distance however you choose between panels to put headlight back into the same place.

6. Remove the upper plastic screw and pull headlight forward to pop out the retainer clip (Be careful of the small black plastic washer). Then remove the bottom two screws (Be careful of the springs)
    [attachment=57814]

7. Pull the headlight connectors out of the bulbs, and set the headlight aside

8. Remove front colored panel and black airbox cover

9. Remove 3 rubber plugs to get to the throttle body screws
    [attachment=57816][attachment=57818]

10. Remove the 3 bolts using a 4mm Allen wrench. Also remove the rubber strap at the front of the airbox.

11. Remove the 3 electrical connectors and the small vent hose from the air box
    [attachment=57820][attachment=57822]

12. Remove the 2 vacuum lines from underneath the Denso connectors
    [attachment=57823]

13. Remove the large vent hose from underneath the airbox.
    [attachment=57824]

14. Remove the airbox
    [attachment=57825]

15. Remove the 2 black side panels
    [attachment=57826]

16. Remove the bolt on the right side running board using a 5mm Allen wrench
    [attachment=57827]

17. Remove the bottom right black side panel by removing 2 bolts using a 10mm socket
    [attachment=57828]

18. Remove the 2 Phillips bolts on the front of the skid plate
    [attachment=57830]

19. Remove the 4 bolts on the bottom of the skid plate using a 9mm socket and remove the skid plate
    [attachment=57832]

20. Remove the 2 bolts from the bottom cover using a 5mm Allen wrench and remove the bottom cover
    [attachment=57833]

21. Remove the connector from the oil level sender/dipstick and remove the oil level sender/dipstick
    [attachment=57834]

22. Place drain pan under the oil tank and remove the oil tank drain plug using a 12mm wrench
    [attachment=57835]

23. Place drain pan under crankcase and remove the crankcase drain plug using a 6mm Allen wrench

24. Remove the 4 oil cooler bolts using a 5mm Allen wrench (Keep drain pan under crankcase)
    [attachment=57836]

25. Remove the knock sensor connector and pull up on the white part of the idle speed adjuster to remove it
    [attachment=57837]

26. Remove the oil filter (Make sure the gasket is not stuck to the block)

27. Take a picture of what you have just done
    [attachment=57838][attachment=57839]

28. Reverse the process, making sure all hoses, connectors, bolts, and screws are back in the right spots. Make sure all your tools made it out as well

29. Fill up the oil tank with 2.5 liters of oil

30. Start the engine and warm it up. Shut it off and check the oil level. Fill as necessary

This process is for changing the filter along with changing the oil. If you aren't changing the filter, just follow the steps in the owners manual. It is a much simpler process.

Yes, changing the oil filter on this is a major pain in the butt. If you don't feel confident in yourself, I'd suggest taking it to the dealer. Technically, you don't need to change the oil filter again for 12,000 miles, so you may never have to do this again.

It looks daunting, but it really isn't that bad. It just takes a lot of time. I went slow to make sure I was doing everything right. The next time I do this it will go much faster.

...now rides an '04 MXZX 440
    is is writing an essay

Member #
    looks like alot of work but like you said its not that bad. that is also a really sweet sled!

This user has no status.

Member #
    lol

This user has no status.

Member #
    ^^^ I was wondering how long it would take for that.

Guess I got my answer. [SadBounce]

This user has no status.

Member #
    Man I really appreciate your report on the oil change. I might do mine own oil change on my FX tomarrow

Infidel
    is has decided to not ride the
    power line through Boston
    again this year. My back can't
    take it!

Member #
    Excellant job with pictures and explaining it. I may not own a Phazer, but I appreciate a good "how too" when I see it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks guys. I'm glad it is putting it to good use. I'll be doing my end of the season oil change pretty soon, so I'll probably refer back to my own How-to for a quick refresher.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Well I finally got over my cold so I could do the first oil change. It took me all day to change oil and clean everything. It helps if you have a long set of allen wrenches or a #5 bit and exstensions to get to the oil pump. I am not sure what the trick is to get oil filter off, but it took me a long time just to get something to get a grip on it to break it looose!

Bring on the snow!
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Geez...why didn't the engineers think to make that a little easier to do? Do they have any plans to make the process slightly easier than disassembling your sled? I like the idea of the 4 strokes but that looks like alot to do to me...

Raise a little hell
    is Ok who changed my signature
    and many other things in my
    profile???????Sledneck1978????
    ?Asshole!

Member #
    why bother warming up the sled ...by the time you got to the filter and drain plug it would be cold already....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links