Snowmobile Fanatics banner

arctic cat timing

12K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  duke09 
#1 ·
I am picking up a 1998 Wildcat 700 that is firing way off, when the guy im getting it from got it, it had no spark. while replacing the stator, he was pulling the flywheel off, with puller and impact gun apparently, and shattered the magnets. now having replaced them and reassembling, he has spark, but it is firing way off (like 180deg he says). He knows his stuff about sleds, but is stumped, and its in his way, so im taking it.
I am a little fuzzy on details, not having picked it up yet, but I want to keep this sled together. I can use it for parts, but its good condition, and engine is fresh (170psi).

any ideas, known problems... ??

#2 ·
Both plugs fire every 180 degrees.
Get it running and use a timing light to check it. Should be around 30 degrees at 6000 rpm.

#4 ·
thanks for the start, picking it up as soon as i can get some time off and i hope that helps.
i found out about the both plugs firing at the same time today, so i'm loosing a little faith in this guys apparent knowledge (being told he's "real good" with sleds), and hoping its something fairly easy
thanks again, we'll see what happens

#6 ·
no kidding.
says he "knew he shouldn't have", but had no other way?
either way, price came down to almost nothing, and im going to get it tomorow.
we'll see

#8 ·
http://arcticcat.arinet.com/Empartweb52/scripts/EmpartISAPI52.dll?MF&app=ARC52&lang=EN&TF=Empartweb&LoginID=cotest&loginpwd=cotest&partner=ARCC

Only shows up to 96.

#9 ·
yeah, so its a '92.
i'm hoping this is a big part of why he could get it going.
pictures to come.

(also not as good of cond as he said, but for the price, couldn't complain)

#10 ·
If he had really known his stuff about sleds, he would have known to make sure that the battery was good since these need it for the EFI to work right.

#11 ·
its carbed not efi

not getting a spark right now, need some wiring diagrams or online manual for this thing to figure out what this guy has pulled apart, and what i need to bypass or hook back up.

any good places to find these?
thanks

#12 ·
Down by the engine there is a 4 wire plug with yellow/brown/black wires.
Unplug it and jumper the brown and black. This will tell you if it does have spark.
Then you can start checking the switches and harness for breaks or shorts.

#15 ·
i have spark when i jump out the sires from the stator, as said above, but it is weak (because it isn't going thru the coil?)
i have no spark when i plug it back in, and i dont have the console for the sled, so i don't know what switch goes where, or what some wires are for.
i have that generic manual that doesn't include the 700wildcat, anybody know where i can find a wiring diagram or proper manual?

#16 ·
weak spark due to wrong magneto. moron put the wrong magneto in, for whatever reason. different magnets, not nearly the same amount of pull when from the stator, and the *@!#$& part number on the damn thing is wrong.
he didnt even have the new stator (which is good) in proper timing.

disregard this thread, thanks for bearing with my dumb questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.