Snowmobile Fanatics banner

how long do u let your sled warm up?

7K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  BISSHYS REPAIR 
#1 ·
im just trying to get some ideas of how long to let my sleds warm up. how long do you let yours? i try to let mine warm up at least 5 min. any replies welcome.[:eek:)]

#3 ·
here is my routine:

1. get snowpants, boots, jacket and gloves on
2. go and start sled
3. stand there until it is idling good on its own
4. go back in and put my helmet and rest of gear on
5. put sled on stand and spin the track
6. take sled off stand and put stand back in garage

of course i take my time when doing all this, never really timed it tho, it probably takes me around 5 minutes total

#4 ·
Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy
[br]here is my routine:

1. get snowpants, boots, jacket and gloves on
2. go and start sled
3. stand there until it is idling good on its own
4. go back in and put my helmet and rest of gear on
5. put sled on stand and spin the track
6. take sled off stand and put stand back in garage

of course i take my time when doing all this, never really timed it tho, it probably takes me around 5 minutes total
that just about the same thing i do to

#6 ·
Roughly as long as it takes to smoke a cigarette, put on my hat, helmet, slip the glasses on under the helmet, swear a bunch if the glasses won't go over my ears, fasten the helmet, lock up the truck, and walk over to the machine. 12 to 15 minutes I guess.

#7 ·
Originally posted by Indy400_88
[br]Roughly as long as it takes to smoke a cigarette, put on my hat, helmet, slip the glasses on under the helmet, swear a bunch if the glasses won't go over my ears, fasten the helmet, lock up the truck, and walk over to the machine. 12 to 15 minutes I guess.
LOL...whatever works i guess [;)]

#9 ·
pull it off trailer start hold the throttle on a bit untill it idles by its own (i got to rip down the crabs and change the idle) put on all my gear. open hood feel heads if warm shut it off top up oil and fuel shut hood. start pick up slam on the ground a few times. pick it up let my bro spin it a big set down and go.

#10 ·
I get on all gear except for helmet and gloves. I wheel it out of the shop on a cart, then i start it, Stand by it untill it idles good, Then walk back into the shop, put on helmet and gloves, sit down on sled, Hook up to the teather cord, Then out around the yard, Then take off

#12 ·
A manufacturer once told me that when the heat exchangers are warm to touch it's time to ride. The reason to let it warm up was to prevent a "cold seize". This occurs when the piston heats and expands faster than the cylinder surrounded by cold coolant.Air cooled machines do not suffer this problem to the same extreme, but they can also "cold seize" if hammered on right after start up. Letting a sled sit to long idling will, of course, load up a two stroke and foul plugs so it's best to get the coolant warm and ride gently for the first few miles. A fan cooled can be ridden as soon as started , but also should be ridden gently for the first couple of miles

#13 ·
i have heard peopel say that a sled at idel will load up but i havent seen it. the sled tech we are firends with says a properly jetted sled shoudl be able to idel for 20 minutes or more. and iv see it done

#14 ·
My old polaris's would idle forever w/o fouling a plug. My mxzx doesn't idle the best and is prone to fouling plugs so I'll start it and keep the r's around 2-3G for a few minutes. Then I'll zip around the yard and baby it for a few minutes. Once it gets to a decent operating temp it runs better and is crisper...then it's time to hammer down[:D]

#18 ·
Michael's got a fan i belive so its not so bad but still all funs iv seen will bog/not work right if you jump right no them

#22 ·
I did the same thing as michael with my fan cooled, boy did i learn my lesson. Went to Houghton lake 2 years ago and did that, got out on the lake and hammered down after it not lettign warm up and blew 3 crank bearings.

#24 ·
gotta day that I use the heat exchangers touch to tell me. I scuffed 2 pistons one time not letting it warm up enough. Mine runs at least 10 min before I even spin the track then for the first mile and a half nothing over 30mph then hammer down.

#25 ·
All I do is put my pant's, and boots on, start the sled, go get the jack, spin the track, put the jack away, put the rest of my clothes on, walk in front of the sled move the skis (to get them out of the ground) start off, then take it easy for a while, then to the bar.

#26 ·
I herd that u can get a cracked piston scert on liquid cooled models wich then results in scratched cylinder walls i let mine warm up 4 10 minutes my self and check heat exchangers it also depens on the temp outside i also herd that u can crack the head if u start a liquid cooled sled up and then drive it rite away the ice cold coolent his the warm head and can crack it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.