To rebuild or not to rebuild
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

To rebuild or not to rebuild

This is a discussion on To rebuild or not to rebuild within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Hello everyone this is my first post, here so I figured I'd start out with a good shop question. Back in my teens I used ...

"); }

Thread: To rebuild or not to rebuild

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hello everyone this is my first post, here so I figured I'd start out with a good shop question. Back in my teens I used to work on sleds with some friends of mine. I had an Evinrude Skimmer 440, and the rest had various junkers. Working on them in the spring and summer and praying they would run in the winter was actually quit a bit of fun!! This was back in the 90's so we didn't have youtube with a million DIY videos on how to repair sleds. Now I'm in my 30's and I really want to get a sled. This is Illinois so theres decent snow fall, and ok trails close by. So back to I was saying I'm in my 30's and have a family, and its hard to justify to the wife how important me getting a sled is!! She shes against, just not 100 for it. Im not exactly in the financial situation I hoped I would be in by 30's. Not poor, and not exactly rich either. So buying a sled hot off the shelf is not an option. What is, is finding a sled in decent shape, and fixing it up. Actually im really getting excited just thinking about ripping another engine open I work in IT, so I never get my hands dirty, ever. I love the look of the late 90s sleds. Especially the Ski Doos and Arctic Cats. So I figured if I can get a sled in decent shape at a good price, I could probably pull that off. As long as the sled chassis isnt bent all to hell, and the engine is totally burnt up. I'm pretty confident I can fix it. Ive looked at sleds on craigslist and found a Polaris Indy 440 that needs some moderate work, nothing I can't handle on my own for $300. Ive seen some wreked sleds on auction for slightly more. What do you guys think? Trust me I wish I could buy a brand new running sled!! And I could, it would just be many years from now.

zeg
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Welcome to the Forum .

I can relate a little with you . I to work as somewhat in the IT field. And I have worked at a dealer for abut 6 to 7 years as a Tech. Now I wrench on sleds in my spare time. Up until last year I had an 1996 XLT . Last year i bought an 2013 Indy . This year i bought an 2005 IQ Racer for the wife . The sled was in horrible shape (thought about junking it ) however it was a real fun summer project.

My advice Do it ... The 440 was a great sled easy on gas lots of power for the cc and very tough. I wouldn't think twice. This forum is great for help and if you need anything pm me or post in the forum. I might even have the shop manual for it .

This user has no status.

Member #
    Here's my opinion on it...

If you buy one knowing you need to rebuild it, you know exactly what you have. Take the motor out, and go through the chassis and find anything else that needs repair or replacement and do that while the motor is out. When you're done, it's going to be 100%. (or at least you know you need to replace the track in a couple years or something)

If you buy used to ride, you dunno what made the person before you sell it. Could need some parts the seller thought was too expensive to replace and decided to sell instead. Then you find out it needs a driveshaft bearing or something like that, on the trail.

This user has no status.

Member #
    hello i have done this type of thing a couple of times now (never a polaris 440) but i do really like the idea of taking what most would call a "parts sled" and rebuilding it to ride. from my experiences i've usually put just as much money into rebuilding one then if i where to just buy a running sled but it is a fun thing to do if you have the time and like a project. but personally i would definitely buy it and rebuild it

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for your replies. I see both sides of it as well. Especially with older sleds. Yeah back in mid 90's when I was learning how to ride, and work on snowmobiles, the parts were pretty easy to find. I had no problem finding a CDI box for my Evinrude Skimmer. But I'm not looking for vintage sleds this time around. Though, I would really like to get my hands on a Pantera again. Also as mentioned, how much am I willing to sink into a rebuild sled where I should have just spent a few more, and purchased a better quality sled.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I say go for it! Can't go wrong with an Indy. If you like the looks of the '90s Cats a ZR is also a very solid option, though they would cost a bit more. Good luck and welcome back to the sport!

is Snowed on and off a few days
    but never built up, just
    melted away and sloppy all
    over again...

Member #
    The Indy 440 is a very nice lil sled, only thing lacking is a good suspension but the fuel economy is a good trade off... If I sell my son's '09 600 DRagon I may downgrade him into one as he isn't very picky about having the best sled, just something enough to get him around and do what he wants...

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MARV1
    If I sell my son's '09 600 DRagon I may downgrade him into one as he isn't very picky about having the best sled, just something enough to get him around and do what he wants...
    I'll trade you an Indy for it, straight up [thumb]

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links