2004 800 PRO XR or 2004 Switchback 700 ?
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

2004 800 PRO XR or 2004 Switchback 700 ?

This is a discussion on 2004 800 PRO XR or 2004 Switchback 700 ? within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Does anyone have one of these babies? I am thinking of purchasing a 2004 Polaris 800 PRO XR, believe it or not my local dealer ...

"); }
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 800 PRO XR or 2004 Switchback 700 ?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Does anyone have one of these babies? I am thinking of purchasing a 2004 Polaris 800 PRO XR, believe it or not my local dealer has one on his showroom floor! I wanna hear from people that have one, how do you like it? how does it ride? Gimmie the good and the bad. I am going to take a test ride this week, but I cannot go far where the dealer is so the ride will not do me too much good.

On a different note, I am debating a 2004 Switchback 700 as more of an all around sled instead of the hardcore 800 XR. Any impressions on the Switchback 700?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have the Switchback 700 and i put 5000 hard miles on it this winter and haven't touched it. My dad bought the 800 and the motor ate teh valves, i guess its a common problem? I like it it goes good but pushes in teh conors. I talekd ot a guy with a Pro XR and he likes it but said its slow and doesn't have a big gas tank. I guess its what kinda riding you wnat to do?

This user has no status.

Member #
    All of the dealers up here have those XR's sitting in the crates or on the showfloor still. Don't think you have to pay a premium for it, if anything you should be able to get a better deal on the XR. It's a little too extreme for 99% of the snowmobile riders out there.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The XR and S'back are 2 completely different sleds! I'd say go somewhere between the two, like a Pro X or X2 or maybe an XC. I think that XR is nice, but would never buy one. I can do w/out the $2300 Walker Evans shocks. I'd think you would save even more money and be happier w/a regular Pro X if you do aggressive riding and like to have a quick sled. Good luck. What prices does he have these sleds at? Not the MSRP, what will he sell them for?

This user has no status.

Member #
    the biggest difference to take into account is that the XR has no swaybars This means it will not handle as well as a normal proX at high speeds.

The switchback will provide you with a better ride on trails, if you just want to cruise (below 50mph). The XR will only work well if you run it hard, very hard. Switchback has reverse, which is one of those features that once you have, will be a requirement on all future sleds.

XR lacks reverse. Switchback could be studded, not recommended on the XR due to the deep track lug.

Super Moderator
    is voting for Hillary in 2016

Member #
    Originally posted by Snorider
    [br]the biggest difference to take into account is that the XR has no swaybars This means it will not handle as well as a normal proX at high speeds.

The switchback will provide you with a better ride on trails, if you just want to cruise (below 50mph). The XR will only work well if you run it hard, very hard. Switchback has reverse, which is one of those features that once you have, will be a requirement on all future sleds.

XR lacks reverse. Switchback could be studded, not recommended on the XR due to the deep track lug.
    What track is on the XR?

i know that the X2 has to be rode hard. the harder you ride it, the better it goes. Those are completely different sleds, the SB and XR, a better comparasin would be a SB and XC, just depends on if you are in the powder alot. if you love to jump, hit the moguls and just ride plain old agressive all the time, go for the XR, shoudl do good in powder too with the deeper lug track

This user has no status.

Member #
    the XR has the 1.375 inch Snocross track. same one i have on my pro-x.

is time to make the firewood!!!

Member #
    i would go for the switchback. Xr seems more like a racesled. good for short distances, but nothing you would ride all day. If you want to go all out, all the time buy the xr.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I want to thank all you guys for your opinions. I have those days of riding hard, but also have quite a few of just trail riding. So I am kind of unsure of what I want. I currently own a 1990 Indy 500 that is in great shape, and yes I ride it quite hard, I've had it for like 12 years!

My luck came in... I just won a brand new 2004 Arctic Cat Panther 370 Touring in a raffle, so that is going to be my trade-in/downpayment on a new sled.

I have been a Polaris faithful all these years, but I was just looking at a 2005 Ski-Doo MXZ X on thier website, maybe I will spring order a MXZ X 600 HO SDI instead? Who knows? Decisions... decisions...

is time to make the firewood!!!

Member #
    You have some serious things to think about. I would sit down with a GOOD salesman/woman and see what they think is the best sled for you.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links