Help diagnosing why sled blew up
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Help diagnosing why sled blew up within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; I was riding on a personal trail the other day and my sled (04 switchback 700) blew up (both pistons). I finally got around to ...

"); }

Thread: Help diagnosing why sled blew up

This user has no status.

Member #

I was riding on a personal trail the other day and my sled (04 switchback 700) blew up (both pistons). I finally got around to taking it apart tonight and was wondering if anyone could help me out figuring out why it blew up. see included pics
    Name:  exhaust.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  2.59 MBName:  intake.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  2.58 MB

Thanks
    Josh

This user has no status.

Member #
    Top is exhaust side and bottom is intake side

This user has no status.

Member #
    Check your water pump belt (remove the recoil housing). My vote is the belt broke so you weren't pumping coolant and seized both pistons at the same time.
    Last edited by Polaris_Parts_MN; 02-19-2020 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Typo
    2003 Edge X 700 Black/Yellow
    SLP pipe/can, SLP Air Horn and Boost Bottle, VForce 3, Rush skis, Geared & Clutched, Electric Start, Reverse, IQ seat with Fusion trunk/taillight, Camoplast Cobra 1.375"

1999 Polaris XC 500
    SLP silencer, Boost Bottle, Geared & Clutched, on-the-fly adjustable Fox dual remote reservoir front track shock,
    Fox front shocks with triple rate springs, IQ seat/tank and LED taillight, Camoplast Predator 1.25"

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Parts_MN View Post
    Check your water pump belt (remove the recoil housing). My vote is the belt broke so you weren't pumping coolant and seized both pistons at the same time.
    That's what I was thinking, if that turns out to not be the case the only other thing I could think of that would cause such a uniform failure on both sides would be an oil supply problem... but my money is on the coolant belt.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links