Runs good cold, bogs/dies when warm
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Runs good cold, bogs/dies when warm within the General forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; I have a 2004 Polaris 600 RMK vertical edge. Ran it for the past 2 winters with no problems. Recently it starts fine but then ...

"); }
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By huntskier

Thread: Runs good cold, bogs/dies when warm

This user has no status.

Member #

I have a 2004 Polaris 600 RMK vertical edge. Ran it for the past 2 winters with no problems. Recently it starts fine but then after about 10 - 15 minutes of riding it loses power, bogs down and dies. It will restart right after it dies, if I let it sit for a few mins and runs fine for a few minutes then losses power and is very bogging then dies again. It seems when its cold it runs good until it warms up. The first time it died the headlight was sort of fading in and out a few minutes before it died. This first happen last weekend and I was only 2 miles from the trailhead, left the sled there for the day and returned after skiing for hours and fired the sled up and went straight back to the truck. Went out this weekend to try and get a better idea of why it died, thought it might be bad fuel so flushed old gas out and filled with fresh gas. Same result, other than I was unable to tell if the headlight was fading in and out as it was light out, the temp warning light came on the last time it died.

Where should I start with this problem? I've asked around, one person said it might be the coil, or stator and another said the carb floats? Can anyone nail this one down with some trouble shooting tips to try? I'd really appreciate it!

And if anyone has the ohm specs for the stator on this sled that would be super helpful. I'll do a compression test later today, assuming anything above 110 psi is good?

This user has no status.

Member #
    My initial thought when I read the post was low compression but reading that it starts right up after it dies makes me think electrical is your culprit. Someone should be able to give you the stator specs, or you could pop it off and have a dealer test it. Make sure they let you watch the test though and tell you what the number is supposed to be prior to the test though haha.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinesy View Post
    My initial thought when I read the post was low compression but reading that it starts right up after it dies makes me think electrical is your culprit. Someone should be able to give you the stator specs, or you could pop it off and have a dealer test it. Make sure they let you watch the test though and tell you what the number is supposed to be prior to the test though haha.
    Tested compression on cold engine: Cylinder 1: 105 psi Cylinder 2: 110 psi
    terryna likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Could be low compression then, seems low anyway. I have experienced a similar issue in "blown up but running" chainsaws.... Start and idle normally but tired feeling then stall and hard to start when warm.

This user has no status.

Member #
    You mentioned it was hot.

I had an 04 800 that the temp probe went bad on. Back then as I recall when they were hot they went into limp mode. Disconnect the wire from the temp probe on the cylinder head and see if that helps.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by huntskier View Post
    Tested compression on cold engine: Cylinder 1: 105 psi Cylinder 2: 110 psi
    nice.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links