to rebuild...or not to rebuild....
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

to rebuild...or not to rebuild....

This is a discussion on to rebuild...or not to rebuild.... within the The Performance Tuning Shop forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; Last sunday my sled stopped running while playing in some nearby drift. I finally got the sled home tonight and when I pulled the engine ...

"); }

Thread: to rebuild...or not to rebuild....

This user has no status.

Member #
    Last sunday my sled stopped running while playing in some nearby drift. I finally got the sled home tonight and when I pulled the engine apart I found something had gotten in the engine and pinched my ring. I found a few chuncks of metal in the engine but I can't figure out where they came from. I know I can get them all out with a magnetic screwdriver. My question is: Should I buy a new piston and ring, throw the bar hone in it and try to run it. Or, should I just call it quits for the year and go over the entire engine for next winter. The chunks of metal could just be something that came in from the intake, or they could be chunks of crank bearing coming apart. Should I just spend the $50 and hope for the best, Or should I give up on the last 3 weeks of riding we still have? Also, I had about 300 miles on since my last rebuild when my oil pump quit and melted both pistons. Could the oil pump failure done enough damage to the bearings to cause them to come apart 300 miles later?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Wow , if your finding metal you need to tear it apart now and find the problem. Dont chance it , you will end up ruining what you have and leave yourself with nothing to work with.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Sorry to say ,you need to tear it all the way down or it will really cost you.Good news is you won`t be rushed and you make the motor good as new for next year.Those peices are probably crank bearing peices.

This user has no status.

Member #
    This really sucks, we're supposed to get a nice storm this friday/saturday too. I guess you guys are right, I really dont wanna trash my crank or anything else. I guess Im done till next winter.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links