Teflon slider buttons
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Teflon slider buttons

This is a discussion on Teflon slider buttons within the The Performance Tuning Shop forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; One more for all the gearheads... How do you replace the small teflon slider "buttons" in the secondary clutch on a '97 XLT SP? There ...

"); }

Thread: Teflon slider buttons

This user has no status.

Member #
    One more for all the gearheads... How do you replace the small teflon slider "buttons" in the secondary clutch on a '97 XLT SP? There seems to be two cover plates on the clutch, but I don't want to take anything apart until I'm sure...those things are spring-loaded!! On my Yamaha, the secondary clutch does not have the same cover plates and the teflon sliders are easy to get at. Any tips guys??

On the back of my snow jacket it says...

"If you can read this, the bitch fell off!"

This user has no status.

Member #
    no need to remove those plates.once you have the secondary on the ground snap ring up.while pushing the helix down remove the snap ring,the helix is spring loaded.let the helix up to remove the spring pressure,don,t worry .were not talking life threating presure.with pressure removed,note what hole spring is in.to get the buttons out,drill a hole it the button,screw a screw into the button and pull ,there you have it.

97 XLT
    03 700 XCSP PERC,SLP Single exh,team sec,
    136 1.4 track,C&A s,slp air box mod,gutted

This user has no status.

Member #
    As long as were on the topic, do you guys replace them with stock buttons or some special teflon or other material from a performance shop?

http://foto.apollo.lv/files/harcix/original/9890.jpg
    1998 XCR 440

This user has no status.

Member #
    My self,i use stock buttons $1.25,,,super slippery are said to be good.black brute are supose to great{Indestructable} but im way to cheap to spring for those$$$$$$$, takes me 15 minutes to change buttons every 800-1000 miles.those 50-__,,45-__ helixs are are hard on stock buttons

im trying a cat roller secondary this year
    97 XLT
    03 700 XCSP PERC,SLP Single exh,team sec,
    136 1.4 track,C&A s,slp air box mod,gutted

Proud Canadian
    This user has no status.

Member #
    AAHH!!! Sacrilidge. Cat parts on a polaris.

Go get a new sled for your spouse.....It will be a fair trade

This user has no status.

Member #
    I dunno, I guess I'm just dense or something, but I'm having a hard time with this one. The secondary clutch needs to come off, but how? I don't want to ruin any of the spacings or any of the offsets. Does the clutch simply slide off the shaft after the bolt on the end is removed? Do I need a clutch puller?

I can't seem to find anything online or in print for my machine, all the Clymer and Haynes manuals don't seem to cover the new Polaris models (since '96). Does anyone have any website links or recommend any manuals I should pick up to help? I've never really tinkered with the clutch on a machine before, one of those things I've been told that is best left to a professional.

Thanks guys for the input so far.

On the back of my snow jacket it says...

"If you can read this, the bitch fell off!"
    I got a new sled for my wife...that's a fair trade, huh?!?!

is is gone

Member #
    It should slide of quite easily once the bolt is removed. Make sure you hit that grease zert behind it while you have it off.

2001 SXR 700

This user has no status.

Member #
    Sometimes the secondary gets stuck on the jackshaft pretty good. This is caused by not using antiseize when it is put on. It might take a little pressure, but it will come. If you have to use a lot of force, I'ld use a puller so you get even pressure.

You don't have to believe everything you think!
    Point it and pin it!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Chances are you won't need a puller for your secondary. Simply clamp the brakes on and then back the bolt out of the shaft, so you can slide the secondary off. There may be some washers associated with it. Just leave them on the bolt where they are, so your sure they get reinstalled. The grease fitting Polaris XLTSP is talking about should now be visible where the shaft comes out of the chassis.....be sure to apply grease here.

Now you should be able to pick back up where Xc Special explains how to open the secondary up to have access to the helix, spring, and buttons. Just be sure to mark the holes that the spring end is in (ON BOTH ENDS of the spring). Just ask if you've got any more questions.

1997 XLT SP 600
    "Engage the Mechanism"
    05 RS Vector ER
    "Engage the Mechanism"

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks guys, will try all the suggestions when I get back up to the cabin in a couple weeks.[8D]

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links