440 fan motor problems
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

440 fan motor problems

This is a discussion on 440 fan motor problems within the The Performance Tuning Shop forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; I have a 2001 xcf with that 440 fan. The thing has never run right since i bought it new. When the temperature and pressure ...

"); }

Thread: 440 fan motor problems

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have a 2001 xcf with that 440 fan. The thing has never run right since i bought it new. When the temperature and pressure are right on it's a rocket. But other than perfect conditions, it seems impossible to find a needle clip position that works. The thing won't even move at times and typically in any temperature north of 25 degrees it gets a little hot, and it doesn't feel good until 6500 - 7000rpm. I swaped out the needle jets when polaris issued the update in 2002 although it hasn't helped much. I'm about ready to trash the whole motor. My question is, is there anyone who has built one of these motors and had success with it? I'm looking to modify it so it will be more reliable in a wider range of confitions and won't have that terrible bog down low when your trying to get going.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Have you tried changing the pilot jets? What RPM does it engage at? Does it run any better off the ground?

is still alive, but lurking in
    the shadows.

Member #
    I wonder if the carbs are out of sync. If one is openning more than the other, one cylindar is working harder than the other and the machine will run like crap at lower rpms.
    what did the mechanics at the shop say?

This user has no status.

Member #
    There were several service bulletins on that motor. Updated pistons, cdi box and carb tuning. Get ahold of a good Polaris dealer and have him look up the bulletins.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm fairly certian that the problem is farther down in the throttle range to be the piolet jets. I heard about the piston update but i'm faily sure that is for the 2002, 2003 motor. On these fan cooled the clutch side is jeted richer than the fan side naturaly. Does that complitcated matters when i go to see if my carbs are in sync. How would i go about making sure they are in sync?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Take them off and lay them besides each other on the motor or anywhere if one is more open then the other adjust them to be evenly with the bolt type deal on the top of the carb. A freinds EXT was doin the same thing also make sure the idle screws are set even. Hope this helps

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links