removing hood decals
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

removing hood decals

This is a discussion on removing hood decals within the The Performance Tuning Shop forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; any onw know how to remove hood decals without scratching the hood...

"); }
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: removing hood decals

This user has no status.

Member #
    any onw know how to remove hood decals without scratching the hood

PX
    is picking up the new track for
    the Vmax tomorrow afternoon

Member #
    I"ve been using a hair drier... plus a little goof off or rubbing alcohol can help...

is Gonna go check out a Storm
    750... Lets see if I can make
    a deal!

Member #
    i use a hair drier to

This user has no status.

Member #
    Get a product called sticker off, there is also one called sticker on that allows you to put the same sticker back on, both are available from DK or ST.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Go to a store that supplys autobody stuff and buy and rubber wheel that u put on a drill. Its light a big eraser. I use them for stipes on cars and removing decals it does't hurt the paint as long as you dont stay in one spot for too long

This user has no status.

Member #
    I bought a product that is used to get borders off the walls. It works great. I don't know the name however you can buy it at any Menards or hardware store.

This user has no status.

Member #
    USE A HAIR DRIER, i have tryed some of the other stuff and the hair drier works the best for me.....

This user has no status.

Member #
    I use a hair dryer and good ol' WD-40 instead of paying for a "speciality" sticker remover. Have used this method on every thing from glass to painted plastic, even my sled's windshield. Never a scratch. After the WD-40 I clean the area well to get rid of the oil left on the surface.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I use the old "peel" technique using your fingers with the assistance of a heat gun (too much will melt the plastic). After removal, use a little adhesive remover for the glue residue. There is no doubt this task requires some patients and allot of elbow grease. I WD-40 trick doesn't surprise me, that stuff has many uses.

The expensive erasure type decal removers that attach to a drill, which auto body shops use, are a quick way to remove decals but will easily ruin the paint surface if your not careful. They are commonly used by body shops on panels that are to be repainted!

Also beware, if you sled is a few years old, the paint will have faded, removing the decals will expose a different shade of paint! Same goes for aluminum, the underside of a decal has no oxidation. A different sheen will result.

In conclusion, don't do it unless you have to!

Brian

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hair dryer and WD40, some of the sticker removing products dullen the paint, and then you have to polish the clear coat again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links