Rode Island Park, Idaho (lots of pics)
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Rode Island Park, Idaho (lots of pics)

This is a discussion on Rode Island Park, Idaho (lots of pics) within the Mountain Riding forums, part of the Snowmobiles category; A buddy and I drove 9 hours on December 27th to West Yellowstone for 3 days of sledding. Met up with another friend from Petersfield, ...

"); }
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rode Island Park, Idaho (lots of pics)

This user has no status.

Member #
    A buddy and I drove 9 hours on December 27th to West Yellowstone for 3 days of sledding. Met up with another friend from Petersfield, Manitoba. Didn't see much snow all the way there, so needless to say we were a little concerned. Fortunately for us, we had great guides that led us into fantastic conditions!

Jason Howell, head engineer for Cat's mountain sleds, showed us around on Tuesday. We rode the Teepee Basin and Cabin Creek areas. Good first ride for me since getting banged up a month ago at Revelstoke. We also expected to do some setup work as the snow conditions and elevation are both very different than what we are used to. Sled worked ok but I wasn't completely happy with it as it was over revving and belt/clutch temps were higher than I would have liked. I had lighter weights with me, but not heavier ones. I typically ride between 6000 and 8000 feet so I didn't think I'd need heavier weights riding 8000 to 10,000 feet. I had a lighter primary spring so we installed that which brought the revs down to where I needed them and also lowered the belt/clutch temps. My buddy has an '03 900 and he dropped 8 grams of weight to get his revs up! I went up the equivalent of 2 grams when I changed the spring! Weird eh? I think I owe this to the Paragon clutch. I'm still getting this secondary figured out. Apparently when this thing is setup properly, the clutchs run extremely cool. I've still got some work to do to get there.

On Wednesday, we drove to Island Park to Arctic Cat's mountain R & D facility where we met Mike and Scott, Cat's mountain field test guys. They guided us around the mountain located just behind their shop. Incredible...ride one mile across an open field (at 6500 FASL no less!) and your at the base of a 10,000 foot mountain with some incredible riding areas! Mike and Scott were great and we all really enjoyed ourselves. I got to spend some time on the M7 and was extremely impressed. I also got some seat time on an RMK 900.

On Day 3, we woke up to find Woke up to find 18 inches of fresh pow...conditions were awesome! We rode with Mike and Scott again, along with a bunch of guys from Thief River Falls. There were 11 guys in our group so needless to say it was difficult at times to keep track of everyone so we didn't cover nearly as much terrain as we did on day 2. Didn't matter though cause I was beat!

All in all a fantastic experience with what had to be the best boondocking I've ever done. Met some great people too!

[attachment=2658]

[attachment=2641]

[attachment=2642]

[attachment=2643]

[attachment=2644]

[attachment=2645]

[attachment=2646]

[attachment=2647]

[attachment=2648]

[attachment=2649]

[attachment=2650]

[attachment=2651]

[attachment=2652]

[attachment=2653]

[attachment=2654]

Attached Images Attached Images                              

This user has no status.

Member #
    That looks like a great time. I'm glad you had fun.

Administrator
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Looks great, nice conditions.

what'd you think of the RMK 900. I had to ask. []

Super Moderator
    is the turbonator

Member #
    wow! i have never been mountain riding.. but that looks like a blast. I would probally get stuck because I wouldn't know where I could go.. Whats with the 2 sleds on the back of that truck. How did u get them up there and how do you get them off? Is 9 hrs to far for a trailer?
    and one more question. How are you riding in yellowstone without 4 strokes.

Name: Mike
    This user has no status.

Member #
    wow thats some serious snow!! but you have some serious sleds! Glad you had a great time []

This user has no status.

Member #
    Originally posted by Polaris-Man
    [br]what'd you think of the RMK 900. I had to ask. []
    Since ya asked...I think I'll state my opinion on another thread. []

Originally posted by arcticcatmatt
    [br]Whats with the 2 sleds on the back of that truck. How did u get them up there and how do you get them off?
    We drive them up on a ramp and pull them back down on a ramp. The ramp slides in under the deck.

Is 9 hrs to far for a trailer?
    Probably not, but the sleds stay a lot cleaner up high, and its nice to have the weight on the truck when the road conditions get bad.

How are you riding in yellowstone without 4 strokes.
    We never rode in the Park.

is has a partially collapsed
    lung.

Member #
    Awesome man! Thanks for sharing! Confusedguy and I are going riding tomorrow, I will have my digicam along if we ever rest for pics.

Super Moderator
    is ND Meatball Crew

Member #
    Nice pics. Looks like a blast out there. Never been mountain riding, but I'd love to try it someday. I like the pickup sled lift deal...looks interesting.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Flange, I rode the same place you did except a few km's west of the Cat facility. On the other side of the fields. LOL Go up the same trail the Cat boys do. Did you get a warning not to park your sleds on the plowed road up a little higher? Apparently the truck comes wailing down the road and won't give a hoot or a holler about anything in its way.

Riding is awesome up there. There's one hill way back in there that has a shoot you can drop into and climb back out of........the Yanks said we were crazy, 3 Canucks in a group full of Yanks and the only three to go down and back over were us.....the other boys didn't want to and took the long way down, and back round again too.....hehe, was very funny.

Looked like you boys played in the gulleys for a bit too.......that is also super fun. We had a group of about 12 people and got seperated, our guide took us three Canucks into the gulleys and we had a BLAST!!!!! Two Rev 800 144's and a 700 BLADE. I wasn't impressed with the REV's considering the BLADE was flawless on the trail and kept right up with us up everything we went. Doug from SOS was the other Canuck and Rev up there. My father on the Blade and me on the Snowest Demo REV.

We stayed at the Snowest Corporate Cabin(Harris Family Cabin) and rode new sleds for a week straight. Snohawk as well. Super fun time. Also got to ride with Kirk, Aaron Scheele and Tucker for part of the day just before the Jackson Hole Hillclimb weekend, Tucker was tuning his mod(or should I say his old man was)

Some awesome riding up them parts, fun stuff.

Also rode with Kirk from HMK, and the boys that designed the Diamond Drive. Rode a F7 with it installed and was very impressed. This is going on 2 years now in March.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yeah, we were told to stay off the road too. Apparently that's some sort of military installation up there. Rode past one building with "Explosives" written on the side. Didn't hang around there too long!

We made it back to some good hills, but the wind had blown over everything and made things pretty hard so. We headed back into the trees and gullys. I'm going to miss their kind of boondocking. The trees are spaced perfect. Always seemed to be a spot to get through, some just a little tighter than others! Apparently Blue Lake at Sicamous has similar terrain. I'm going to check that out in the next couple of months.

Have you ever been to the Jackson Hole Hillclimb? We were talking about making the trip down sometime.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links