Diesel Enthusiasts Thread - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Diesel Enthusiasts Thread

This is a discussion on Diesel Enthusiasts Thread within the Alternate Transportation forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Mad-Boondocker Originally Posted by flatlander_summit Originally Posted by Ugly_old_Poo_kid Ok, I'm currently on the hunt for a diesel pickup, and using this ...

"); }
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Diesel Enthusiasts Thread

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Boondocker
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_summit
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_old_Poo_kid
    Ok, I'm currently on the hunt for a diesel pickup, and using this premise for my hunting so I'm fishing for suggestions.

My budget is in the $4g range, so I'm obviously not getting anything close to new.

Living in NY salt, a truck the age I can afford would be rotted apart, so I'm looking for one from the midwest or southern east coast.

It's going to get driven 8 to 15 times a year and usually under 200 mile trips, so I'm looking for one with 'highway miles'.

I've driven n/asp and turbo, turbo is required for towing up to a 4 sled trailer.

With NY snow and hills it needs 4wd.

What this comes out to is early to mid 90's trucks with 200k miles. What's going to be the best target to search for, so I don't waste time looking at models that won't last.
    I think you're going to be looking at either a N/A 7.3, I believe the turboed powerstroke came out in 96, which will be beyond your budget.

I think your best bet is to find a Dodge with a 12v Cummins. That will be the closest to your budget. If you can flex a little bit and move to the $5-6K range that will open up your possibilities quite a bit and you may be able to move into the 200K mileage area new style Fords with the 7.3 or you shouldn't have much trouble finding a Cummins in that price range.

A Dirtymax is out of your budget, but a 6.5 would be within your budget constraints, however, I would steer you away from the 6.5. The had injector/pump issues as well as often times many people find their 6.5s with cracked blocks.
    The Powerstroke 7.3 was released 94.5. It was intercooled in 99

The 6.5 wasn't that bad I think, I mean it was not a powerhouse but it was designed to work and I know a few of them that are kicking around with over 300,000 and they are used as farm trucks.
    Most don't swear by their 6.5, they swear at them. Another one of those if you have deep pockets you can make a pretty nice diesel truck out of it, but not everyone is looking for a fixer upper.

The military block 6.5 is a far better version of the same motor, they don't seem to crack the block like the GM version does. To pick that motor up your looking at around 10g out of pocket for the same power. If they were a little more reliable I wouldn't mind having one for the fuel mileage in comparison to my 350.

12v cummins is your best bet Ugly.

is Where da snow?

Member #
    My dads 6.2 ran 340,000 miles before it lost a head gasket, so he rebuilt it and did the banks sidewinder turbo kit on it and has been great so far. Yes it did loose a couple of injection pumps along the way and no it is no powerhouse but all things considered its been a pretty good pickup. I would personally never own one when you can buy a 12v cummins for around the same price tho. I would never own an older non turbo powerstroke either, they don't have any guts.
    The only problem with the 12v is that the dodge comes with it. If you look for an older dodge 12v try to find one with a manual trans as well.

is Removed a Firecat fuel tank
    today.... just a little pain
    it was.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by driftpounder
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_summit
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_old_Poo_kid
    Ok, I'm currently on the hunt for a diesel pickup, and using this premise for my hunting so I'm fishing for suggestions.

My budget is in the $4g range, so I'm obviously not getting anything close to new.

Living in NY salt, a truck the age I can afford would be rotted apart, so I'm looking for one from the midwest or southern east coast.

It's going to get driven 8 to 15 times a year and usually under 200 mile trips, so I'm looking for one with 'highway miles'.

I've driven n/asp and turbo, turbo is required for towing up to a 4 sled trailer.

With NY snow and hills it needs 4wd.

What this comes out to is early to mid 90's trucks with 200k miles. What's going to be the best target to search for, so I don't waste time looking at models that won't last.
    I think you're going to be looking at either a N/A 7.3, I believe the turboed powerstroke came out in 96, which will be beyond your budget.

I think your best bet is to find a Dodge with a 12v Cummins. That will be the closest to your budget. If you can flex a little bit and move to the $5-6K range that will open up your possibilities quite a bit and you may be able to move into the 200K mileage area new style Fords with the 7.3 or you shouldn't have much trouble finding a Cummins in that price range.

A Dirtymax is out of your budget, but a 6.5 would be within your budget constraints, however, I would steer you away from the 6.5. The had injector/pump issues as well as often times many people find their 6.5s with cracked blocks.
    The Powerstroke 7.3 was released 94.5. It was intercooled in 99

The 6.5 wasn't that bad I think, I mean it was not a powerhouse but it was designed to work and I know a few of them that are kicking around with over 300,000 and they are used as farm trucks.
    Most don't swear by their 6.5, they swear at them. Another one of those if you have deep pockets you can make a pretty nice diesel truck out of it, but not everyone is looking for a fixer upper.

The military block 6.5 is a far better version of the same motor, they don't seem to crack the block like the GM version does. To pick that motor up your looking at around 10g out of pocket for the same power. If they were a little more reliable I wouldn't mind having one for the fuel mileage in comparison to my 350.

12v cummins is your best bet Ugly.
    Maybe the people I know are just lucky...I had to pull one off of the highway with my explorer in highschool come to think about it actually,lol.

As much as I dislike Cummins, the 12V 5.9 is probably the only choice unless you can find a 7.3 for that price, which for your budget will mean high miles, and things will have to be replaced like said. By all means the 7.3 can be a million mile motor with proper maintenance. I think Ford actually marketed the 7.3 Powerstroke with that term.

the 7.3 does indeed hold it's value lol

This user has no status.

Member #
    ^^^^How many million mile Powerstrokes are there in the US? How many million mile Cummins are in the US? Cummins is the only million mile diesel engine put in pick-ups.

How many powerstrokes are put in generators, boats, heavy equipment, tractors & semi's?

it was.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrok
    ^^^^How many million mile Powerstrokes are there in the US? How many million mile Cummins are in the US? Cummins is the only million mile diesel engine put in pick-ups.

How many powerstrokes are put in generators, boats, heavy equipment, tractors & semi's?
    As much as I like the 7.3 Powerstroke.... they all come short to my favorite engine Company and that brand is CAT, followed in a close second by Detroit Diesel

I believe there is a site somewhere at one time that was for owners that had gone over 1,000,000 miles.

Nothing wrong with the Industrial engines that Cummins puts out, but as you said at one time you get these coal rollers that give us enthusiasts a bad image. Around here I see more 12 Valve 5.9 trucks doing that trend and it has had it's hand in veering away from owning one for the most part (just to be different and not do the norm). I have thought about 3rd gen though...

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/general/0607_dp_10_best_used_diesel_engines/one_through_six.html
    Quick read, to stir the pot in good fun ahhaahh

This user has no status.

Member #

FWIW not many Navistar engines(from the 7.3 era) are in any of those applications to begin with. And where in the hell is there a semi with a 5.9? Unless you're talking class 6, which you could get 7.3's. Also i see a lot more delivery trucks(Fed-Ex, UPS, etc..) with 7.3's than 5.9's.

The Cummins isn't a bad engine, but unless you wanna dick with a swap, or buy a new truck, you've still got that whole Dodge mess around it.

is Anyone watching the
    filibuster?

Member #

As much as I like the 7.3 Powerstroke.... they all come short to my favorite engine Company and that brand is CAT, followed in a close second by [color=red]Detroit Diesel[/color=red]

I believe there is a site somewhere at one time that was for owners that had gone over 1,000,000 miles.

Nothing wrong with the Industrial engines that Cummins puts out, but as you said at one time you get these coal rollers that give us enthusiasts a bad image. Around here I see more 12 Valve 5.9 trucks doing that trend and it has had it's hand in veering away from owning one for the most part (just to be different and not do the norm). I have thought about 3rd gen though...

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/general/0607_dp_10_best_used_diesel_engines/one_through_six.html
    I love the sound of their Series 71 engines[]

it was.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticCatZR800

As much as I like the 7.3 Powerstroke.... they all come short to my favorite engine Company and that brand is CAT, followed in a close second by [color=red]Detroit Diesel[/color=red]

I love the sound of their Series 71 engines[]
    Especially when the rack gets stuck[]

is Yeah two belts in one weekend,
    nothing like ridng a cat lol

Member #
    I cant believe a powerstroke did better than the duramax. Hope to get my duramax soon.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Name:  201341722245594_13324.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  1.90 MB

My '02 auto with 177,088 tonight...

It has Toyo AT II's on it now, its loud, it knocks, rattles and drives like a turd but it is a great truck. I had that little low power hiccup a couple weeks back but it still ran and never left me stranded. It has the full slew of junk done to it....tranny, exhaust, CAI, tuner, 'lil lift etc.

UOPK, keep your eye out...sometimes a deal pops up but I do agree that if a budget is that strict, get a gasser and do a tune up on it. The 5.4 furd and 6.0 chebby run a long time if maintained.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links