'99 ZL 600 EFI Backfiring and bogging out.
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on '99 ZL 600 EFI Backfiring and bogging out. within the Arctic Cat forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Hi. My '99 ZL 600 EFI gave me some real problems the other day, and I'm hoping you guys can help me figure this out. ...

"); }
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '99 ZL 600 EFI Backfiring and bogging out.

This user has no status.

Member #

Hi. My '99 ZL 600 EFI gave me some real problems the other day, and I'm hoping you guys can help me figure this out.

First of all, I am a mechanic by trade. Nothing specific. I work in the shop at a construction/demolition company, so I work on all sorts of equipment. Very basic shop though, not real high tech. So....I am not a complete "tool" when it comes to stuff like this, just not a whole lot of snowmobile wrenching going on, you know.

So, anyway, my sled sat for 3 years with a blown motor. I finally decided to do something about it. I replaced both cylinders and pistons. Along with the head. I also replaced the throttle body to reed cage flanges. I went thru all the wiring. Cleaned and inspected all connections, length of wire, and grounding points. I install new plugs, plug wires, and coil.

I went to fire it up, and no spark. After going to another Arctic Cat forum site, we decided to take some ohm reading on my stator. According to the results, the stator was bad. I sent it off and had it rewound. I put the stator in and got good spark. My sled ran great! In fact, I don't recall it running this good before. For an old 600, it was a rocket! That day, I rode for about 3 hours without a hitch. I was extremely pleased.

The next day, not so much. About 20 min into the ride, I went to hammer on it from a dead stop. It left the starting line like my grandma in a Priius. It didn't seem to want to go passed 40 mph. I stopped and did it again, and it was fine. In fact, there were no issues for the next hour or so. Then, it did it again. I feathered the throttle for the 2 miles, hoping it would work itself out. It never did, and we turned around and headed for home.

We rode like that for 3-4 miles then, about a mile from home, it got really bad and in addition to the bogging, it started back firing really bad. The more throttle I gave, the worse it got. A half mile from home, it slowed to a stop. It never died, it idled just fine. I just couldn't seem to give it enough RPM's to engage the belt. I sent my buddy on ahead to get my truck and trailer. I sat there, not wanting to shut it off, out of fear that it might not start again. Like I said, it idled fine. After 10 min, I shut it off. Another 10 min went by and I thought that I would see if it would start. 1 pull and it fired up. I slowly hit the throttle and I was moving again. It was better, but far from good. Got 20-30 mph out of it. Until 1 block from home, it slowed to a stop again. I shut it off for a few minutes, re-started it, and limped it home.

In the garage, all looked fine. Inspected all wiring and looked for anything that would give me a visual clue. Nothing. I pulled the plugs and because I don't have a compression tester at home, I put my fingers over the holes and they both felt good and also equal. I check to see if it were flashing any codes on the computers LED. Nothing.

So, my thoughts went to fuel problem? Or electrical?

I don't have an inline fuel filter. Thought that I would reach inside the tank and pull up my fuel pick up to see if it was getting clogged. But, wouldn't that affect the idle also? How would that cause all the backfiring?

Is it the reeds? Is there a way to tell if they are bad just by looking at them? I looked at them when I thru the motor back together, they looked fine. However, I didn't REALLY look at them. After all, the first day out, it was 20 degrees outside. This second day, it was 10-15 below zero.

Maybe bad fuel. I put fresh fuel in it at the start of the ride. I don't know.

Took new readings off the stator:
    Orange/Black 478
    Orange/Green 455
    Black/Green .024

Also, this sled does NOT have electric start.

Any help would be fantastic.

is waiting for it to snow

Member #
    It sounds like a fuel problem. It could be water in the fuel. Try some isopropyl based fuel de-icer and see if that helps. Yes it would likely idle fine if the fuel was restricted somehow so a clogged filter could be the culprit.
    2002 XCR 800 - A few minor mods
    2001 XCR 800 - stock
    1994 XLT SKS - wife's ride - rock stock and minty

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yeah, I was kind of leaning that way. I forgot to mention that when I pulled the plugs, they were pretty black. Made me think that I was running too rich though, hence, the backfiring. But how would something clogged or water in fuel make it run rich? Or am I way off on that one?

This user has no status.

Member #
    High speed coil is supposed to be 45 ohms. Reading .024 sounds like it has gone bad for one of many reasons.
    My Youtube Channel showing Arctic Cat Electrical Testing:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlaineDP?feature=mhee

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hey Blaine. Thanks for the reply. You just rebuilt this stator. I'm kicking myself for not taking a reading before I installed it. I figure those weren't the numbers when you sent it out. I will remove it tonight. Any thoughts?

is needs to get my new renegade
    1000 rebuilt

Member #
    Jeez blaine, I thought you had these things figured out haha
    Current sled:
    1997 Indy 500
    Old sleds:
    Too many

This user has no status.

Member #
    WOW ! This is strange. I just looked in to post a VERY similar problem. I have a 2002 ZL600 EFI. I recently rebuilt it and installed a rebuilt stator from Blaine. I also replaced the intake boots as mine were cracked. I replaced rings, seals and crank bearing.
    It seemed to run well after the rebuild but I didn't ride it yet. Today I started it up to move it inside my trailer and it just bogs out when given throttle. It starts and idles fine.
    I installed a fuel pressure gauge and it shows 38 psi when running. I unhooked both the kill switch and throttle switch, no change.
    I took a video of it. Here is a link to it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nt33ujgn6d...2013.22.33.mov
    What is wrong?
    I'm leaving on a week long snowmobile trip next Friday so I need to solve this quick.
    Thanks
    Danford1
    Last edited by danford1; 01-10-2014 at 03:06 PM.

1000 rebuilt

Member #
    Check the throttle position sensor, theres a lot of info on the TPS over on arcticchat
    Current sled:
    1997 Indy 500
    Old sleds:
    Too many

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yup. Thanks Zach. I was going to look into that also. But since my stator gave me bad readings again, I made sure to get that off to Blaine today. While it's gone, I plan on looking into other things as well.

Danford. Sorry to hear that when you have a trip planned. I know how you feel brother. All I can say is, when I tinker some more and find the problem, I will post it as soon as I can. But until my stator comes back, I won't know for sure. If you find your issue, please let me know also. Good luck man.

1000 rebuilt

Member #
    That was directed towards danford, but it could apply to you too. I had a stator replaced by blaine and the sled still ran like shit, turns out the tps was causing issues too.
    Current sled:
    1997 Indy 500
    Old sleds:
    Too many

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links