removal of brake caliper
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

removal of brake caliper

This is a discussion on removal of brake caliper within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; my caliper went out on my 87 indy 488 trail and im tryin to put the new one on and i see a lot about ...

"); }

Thread: removal of brake caliper

This user has no status.

Member #
    my caliper went out on my 87 indy 488 trail and im tryin to put the new one on and i see a lot about having to remove the chaincase and replace seals if anybody can tell me exactly what i have to replace and take off that would be greatly appreciated

This user has no status.

Member #
    The seals everybody is talking about are probably the 2 orings that are behind the chaincase that are on each shaft. Usually they are fine to reuse. The main one is the one for the cover. Most generally they are ok to reuse. Just make sure it does not have any cracks or rips in it. I usually put a very small bead of silicone on it just to be sure. That year sled you do have to remove the chaincase.

is Status, Status, Status

Member #
    Normally you don't have to remove the chaincase to remove the caliper, just remove the two bolts holding the caliper assembly to the top of the chaincase and lift off.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bklf7
    The seals everybody is talking about are probably the 2 orings that are behind the chaincase that are on each shaft. Usually they are fine to reuse. The main one is the one for the cover. Most generally they are ok to reuse. Just make sure it does not have any cracks or rips in it. I usually put a very small bead of silicone on it just to be sure. That year sled you do have to remove the chaincase.
    Thanks for your help i was wonderin about those seals on the chaincase. I really wish this was a sled where you just undo those two bolts and it slides right off lol

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by scumpman
    Normally you don't have to remove the chaincase to remove the caliper, just remove the two bolts holding the caliper assembly to the top of the chaincase and lift off.
    All Polaris Indys between 1982 and 1993 (I think) required removal of the chaincase to replace the brake pads and caliper. Easiest way to tell is to see if your sled has a dipstick. If you have the dipstick, you can remove the caliper with 2 bolts. If you still have the magnetic check plug in the cover, you will need to pull the case. The earlier ones (like my 1983) seem to have all press fit bearings (even though they still had retaining rings!?!), making it even more fun...

is Status, Status, Status

Member #
    Okay, last nite when I replied I was looking up a '97 Indy Trail, must have been too tired to notice that yours is an '87 Indy Trail - big difference in chaincase and break setup, sorry, my bad. And like other say, just be careful on the O-rings, I've broken a couple putting them on the shafts going over the teeth.

Wondering if the 'newer' style chaincase with the removable caliper can be put on there?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I know this is an old thread, but I been working on a 1990 Polaris Indy, not trail Indy, or Indy trail. Just Indy 500. I had issue with the brakes staying on and sled would not free wheel after releasing the throttle. I thought too that I may have to take the chaincase off to replace/repair caliper bu tI was able to do it without doing that. First you have to take off the coolant reservoir. Take out four bolts top of chain case, Take the clips off the pins and pry or tap out with flat head and hammer, unbolt two main bolts and piston side will come off. Then you can just barely slip the pad out and bracket and othe side of caliper housing over rotor. Putting together is reverse bracket and caliper housing over the caliper put four top bolts back on slip pad in let just float there I put the main two bolts in from the other way closest to chaincase to help line up not all the way but some put two pins in piston side with pad hangin from it finish the two main bolts thru now you have try and get the pin thru to catch the other pad one side you see gaily easy toward front of machine but the other side you can see in the two windows below the two main bolts then it brail method pushing into place with screw driver and pushing pin thru to catch it. Remember to compress piston in with c clamp. Once bolted up may seem sloppy or loose but after using the brakes some will cure that. I did buy a used caliper off eBay but where the line went in was broke off. I was able to revive the old one by working it in my hand back and forth also cleaning around piston when it was worked way out. Hope this can help somebody. I can’t imagine removing chain case to replace a caliper is nuts! It can be done without it

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski-doo-Dan View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I been working on a 1990 Polaris Indy, not trail Indy, or Indy trail. Just Indy 500. I had issue with the brakes staying on and sled would not free wheel after releasing the throttle. I thought too that I may have to take the chaincase off to replace/repair caliper bu tI was able to do it without doing that. First you have to take off the coolant reservoir. Take out four bolts top of chain case, Take the clips off the pins and pry or tap out with flat head and hammer, unbolt two main bolts and piston side will come off. Then you can just barely slip the pad out and bracket and othe side of caliper housing over rotor. Putting together is reverse bracket and caliper housing over the caliper put four top bolts back on slip pad in let just float there I put the main two bolts in from the other way closest to chaincase to help line up not all the way but some put two pins in piston side with pad hangin from it finish the two main bolts thru now you have try and get the pin thru to catch the other pad one side you see gaily easy toward front of machine but the other side you can see in the two windows below the two main bolts then it brail method pushing into place with screw driver and pushing pin thru to catch it. Remember to compress piston in with c clamp. Once bolted up may seem sloppy or loose but after using the brakes some will cure that. I did buy a used caliper off eBay but where the line went in was broke off. I was able to revive the old one by working it in my hand back and forth also cleaning around piston when it was worked way out. Hope this can help somebody. I can’t imagine removing chain case to replace a caliper is nuts! It can be done without it
    What he said^^^^. Also, once you get the caliper off, take the rear bolt of the two long big bolts that go through the caliper and reverse it. That way next time you don't have to screw with the coolant reservoir. Don't do the front one, because that would put the threaded end of the bolt next to the pull rope. Which is probably why those two longs bolts are mounted like they are. But you don't need extra long clearance to get the front one out, you have it. That's what I just did anyway. YMMV.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links