removing electric start on 97 xlt ltd
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

removing electric start on 97 xlt ltd

This is a discussion on removing electric start on 97 xlt ltd within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; my starter doesn't work on my 97 xlt ltd, so I checked it out and it is toast! the magnets are shattered internally. I removed ...

"); }

Thread: removing electric start on 97 xlt ltd

This user has no status.

Member #
    my starter doesn't work on my 97 xlt ltd, so I checked it out and it is toast! the magnets are shattered internally. I removed the starter and battery and the battery + and - wires. I assume this will be just fine as is. I did not remove the starter solenoid since it makes for a good place to just leave the rest of the wiring attached so it doesn't flop around in the sled. Any problems with this? I did this on my old Skidoo but just want to make sure the polaris won't have any charging or electrical issues with no battery. I save about 10 or so lbs in the nose!
    Will I need to add a ground wire to the engine??

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jschick
    my starter doesn't work on my 97 xlt ltd, so I checked it out and it is toast! the magnets are shattered internally. I removed the starter and battery and the battery + and - wires. I assume this will be just fine as is. I did not remove the starter solenoid since it makes for a good place to just leave the rest of the wiring attached so it doesn't flop around in the sled. Any problems with this? I did this on my old Skidoo but just want to make sure the polaris won't have any charging or electrical issues with no battery. I save about 10 or so lbs in the nose!
    Will I need to add a ground wire to the engine??
    You should be fine with removing just the electric start with out having to do any other wiring, but if you remove the starter ring on the clutch you'll have to re-shim your seconday to make up the difference.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Make sure that you cover the hot port on the solenoid, the stator will still supply voltage to charge the battery that isn't there. You can zap yourself or arc a tool.

Since there is no battery to draw, there will be no load on the stator so it shouldn't effect performance by loading down the engine.

Lastly, the lighting and charging circuits are different components on the stator so not using the charging circuit will have no effect on the lighting circuit or the ignition circuits.

Taking the ring gear off won't effect clutch placement. Changing the clutch to one that does not have the starter ring gear will....

This user has no status.

Member #
    [quote=Ugly_old_Poo_kid]
    Make sure that you cover the hot port on the solenoid, the stator will still supply voltage to charge the battery that isn't there. You can zap yourself or arc a tool.

Since there is no battery to draw, there will be no load on the stator so it shouldn't effect performance by loading down the engine.

Lastly, the lighting and charging circuits are different components on the stator so not using the charging circuit will have no effect on the lighting circuit or the ignition circuits.

Taking the ring gear off won't effect clutch placement. [highlight=yellow] Changing the clutch to one that does not have the starter ring gear will....[/highlight=yellow][]

Thanks Dave....Waaaay better way to clarify

This user has no status.

Member #
    [thumb]

This user has no status.

Member #
    thanks,
    that was my assumption. I just plan on leaving the ring gear on for now. never thought about covering the solenoid though but good idea! I think I have just the perfect Rubber boot that might fit over it!

This user has no status.

Member #
    I need a new gear kit for my '95 xlt classic touring 600 triple. I ordered on off Ebay but it was the incorrect size (smaller starter main shaft) it seems they changed them in 1999 and the company I contacted DBelectrical does not carry the older version. Anyone know where I can get one?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links