Mechanical Reverse Not Engaging - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Mechanical Reverse Not Engaging

This is a discussion on Mechanical Reverse Not Engaging within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Replace the spring with one that has a lower spring rate then....

"); }
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mechanical Reverse Not Engaging

is Thanks for showing up 2 months
    late winter...

Member #
    Replace the spring with one that has a lower spring rate then.

This user has no status.

Member #
    My guess is that the fork is not aligning into the groves on the gear. I assembled mine and didn't get that part right the first time.

Does the lever move at all? Some?

I'm not really sure they even make a lower rate spring. Never heard of one.
    D

This user has no status.

Member #
    Just a quick thought.

Did you check to see it the cable itself is free? I had the cable seeze up and thought that the slide was bad.. kept taking it apart and getting the same result. Until I tried to pull on the cable to see if the fork would move.. in my case it did'nt.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by botts
    I recently purchased a 2005 Polaris Classic. It has only 107 miles on. Was started every season but never really driven...owner was scared of it...long story. Anyway I can't get it to go into reverse. I pulled the chain case cover off and all the gears look pristine. When I loosen the retaining coupler to decrease the spring pressure I can grab onto the reversing gear and pull it out by hand. But once I tighten the retaining bolt I can't get it to budge.
    I even put the chain case cover back on so that the fork was over the reversing spine but once again I can't get the lever to budge.
    Does anyone have any ideas, I don't really want to take it the polaris dealer (40 miles away), but I am at a loss as to why it will not engage. It is as though the spring is too strong?
    Please any help would be muchly appreciated.
    I am having the same problem with my 02 600. It was working fine until I replaced the track. Everything went back together just fine but now the reverse won't engage. My lever will come out part way but will not fully go into reverse. Try using a pry bar with the chain cover removed and see if the reverse gear will come out at all with the spring in place. The spring has to compress fully into the end cap and mine acts as if it got sprug and is too big around to fit all the way in. A friend has a replacement spring that I am going to try this weekend. That may fix mine but I'm not sure whats going on with yours. Obviously you have made sure that all the working parts are free in the linkage. Once again, try to mimic what the lever and forks do by prying the bottom gear out with the spring in place to see if something there is binding.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 660jeffr
    Quote Originally Posted by botts
    I recently purchased a 2005 Polaris Classic. It has only 107 miles on. Was started every season but never really driven...owner was scared of it...long story. Anyway I can't get it to go into reverse. I pulled the chain case cover off and all the gears look pristine. When I loosen the retaining coupler to decrease the spring pressure I can grab onto the reversing gear and pull it out by hand. But once I tighten the retaining bolt I can't get it to budge.
    I even put the chain case cover back on so that the fork was over the reversing spine but once again I can't get the lever to budge.
    Does anyone have any ideas, I don't really want to take it the polaris dealer (40 miles away), but I am at a loss as to why it will not engage. It is as though the spring is too strong?
    Please any help would be muchly appreciated.
    I am having the same problem with my 02 600. It was working fine until I replaced the track. Everything went back together just fine but now the reverse won't engage. My lever will come out part way but will not fully go into reverse. Try using a pry bar with the chain cover removed and see if the reverse gear will come out at all with the spring in place. The spring has to compress fully into the end cap and mine acts as if it got sprug and is too big around to fit all the way in. A friend has a replacement spring that I am going to try this weekend. That may fix mine but I'm not sure whats going on with yours. Obviously you have made sure that all the working parts are free in the linkage. Once again, try to mimic what the lever and forks do by prying the bottom gear out with the spring in place to see if something there is binding.
    The new spring fixed the problem although I think if I would have taken it for a test drive instead of fiddling with it in the garage it may have worked anyway. Thing work differently when you are actually driving the machine.

no guts no glory
    This user has no status.

Member #
    The drive belt may have been too tight and pre loaded gears making it difficult. However I bet you re assembled correctly as fork may have not been installed properley as Dman suggested.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm trying to figure out mine, I can't understand how the whole concept works. I have a coupler that slides into a gear that has needle bearings on it. The coupler which is smooth on that end slides through the needle bearings and onto the driveshaft. I'm confused as to how that turns the driveshaft. It looks like it will just spin the gear and not the drive shaft. Maybe I just need to trust the instructions and put it together and try it out.

COMFORTABLY NUMB
    This user has no status.

Member #

OK....My wife has an '05 Classic 500 also....we had the same issues. When you open the hood, follow the metal rod to the end. You will see an 'L' shape at the end. This is the culprit. It has to perfectly placed to work. I brought it back to the dealer and they showed me what to do in the future. You must have pulled on it too hard once or twice and bent the 'L' too much. Polaris knows of this issue, and they fixed it for no charge. This linkage must be perfect to work right. It has been 4 years and we have not had an issue with it.

If you would like, I would be glad to take pictures and email them to you.

JT

This user has no status.

Member #
    XCSPDUDE - I have the same issue, took it apart pulled the fork pff and rod and replaced the oil seal. Could you send me the pictures your talking about?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links