Rebuild or not rebuild
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Rebuild or not rebuild

This is a discussion on Rebuild or not rebuild within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; So my 1993 Indy 500 SKS EFI finally blew. I am pretty sure the crank is busted. Trying to decide if I should spend the ...

"); }

Thread: Rebuild or not rebuild

This user has no status.

Member #
    So my 1993 Indy 500 SKS EFI finally blew. I am pretty sure the crank is busted. Trying to decide if I should spend the money to rebuild the thing or just look for a different sled. It has been a great sled and a blast to ride. If I do rebuild it I'm thinking it should last me for a few more years hopefully. A rebuild would cost around $1000 but not sure if it is worth it since the value of the sled is around $1000. What would you guys do?

is The iqr sure took a beating
    this year from the lttile I
    rode it, need one suspension
    rail, rear bumper, snowflap
    strap ,Steering stem is a
    little tweeked and the side
    cover isnt sraight anmore.. I
    thought things were tough?
    haha

Member #
    id just buy a whole new motor. i sold mine for $375 complete if i remember right..

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamped400
    id just buy a whole new motor. i sold mine for $375 complete if i remember right..
    We thought about that too but haven't found one yet. Do you know of a good place to find one?

haha

Member #
    where you at? id check ebay (way over priced sometimes) craigslist and a snowmobile salvage yards and see if you can find anything..

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ok so I found one on ebay for $650 that has just had a top end rebuild. It is out of a 1992 500 efi, the engine has a 30 day warranty, seems like the way to go I think.

haha

Member #
    little pricy IMO but youl have yourself a good running fresh motor. good luck

This user has no status.

Member #
    OK, not to burst your bubble, but your sled is about $600-700 if it's in 90-100% condition. As it sits, it's about $3-400 in parts. A new motor isn't going to matter much.

Cut your losses and let the old girl rest in peace. Save your money and get a different sled. In this hobby, you have to know when to to cut your losses and move on. You can keep it on the trail for another 50 years if you want to keep putting money into it. Been there, done that.

Just an engine for $650? Holy. Find a cheap Indy 400-500 smashed sled with good motor and transplant it if you are going that route.

Save the $1000 and part your's out. With the money saved, you'll be getting into some nice sled from the later 90's that are 10x better than what you have. Wait til spring and find a 98 600 or something for a good price.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links