Polaris Hoods - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Polaris Hoods

This is a discussion on Polaris Hoods within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; https://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/90813-tips-fixing-cracks-hood My method, with pics in this thread,,,...

"); }
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Polaris Hoods

This user has no status.

Member #
    https://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/90813-tips-fixing-cracks-hood
    My method, with pics in this thread,,,

is Went to Hay Days in September
    of 2015. Anticipating lots of
    member chat and info.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman
    https://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/90813-tips-fixing-cracks-hood
    My method, with pics in this thread,,,
    Wow....I hope I don't go through the repairs like I did this last year but I will keep this in mind for sure....
    By the way.... "Bithced" means brokedown or ruined. I remember your statement from a previous post.
    Thanks, you're a good responder.....

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleD
    You can fix them. I personally would do zip ties. My dad used jb weld I think. Puts it in between the crack and the backside. Matches it up flush. Wipes it away on the top so you can't see it really. Then let's it sit over night. Looks good and holds.
    JB weld works awesome. It's like Bondo in easy to use small workable portions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1997Indy440
    are you able to fix cracks in hoods
    you should see the Dman technique...awesome

This user has no status.

Member #
    Good info on what cowls / hoods are made of and how to fix them.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/v2n4.php

This user has no status.

Member #
    With the method I posted, it will generally work in ANY place on the hood. I did one that was cracked all over the place. Sides, corners, front intake vents, etc. I did it OK but should have taken more time. If you are having issues with getting the crack to hold together, epoxy and duct tape over the crack will work. Just use a long strip and attach it on the hood far away from the crack with a lot of pressure, or use some clamps of some sort.

Prep is the key, and sanding second, making sure there are no air bubbles that may open up from sanding. If so, fill in with epoxy again and sand. Paint with the best matching color of the rest of the hood. If you see any imperfections, put a sticker over the repair and nobody will notice. Best time is the summer, kickin' back with some delicious beers, and relax doing it.

PS: Thanks for giving me the honor of naming my repair work: The Dman Technique. So when your buddies ask how to repair their hood, just tell them, use the "Dman Technique" and maybe I'll be famous someday. maybe it'll catch on.

Super Moderator
    is Probably Banning Another Damn
    Phone Sales Spammer Right Now

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bluevoyageur
    I need to know what they're really made of
    so when I buy chemical stripper, I get the right stuff.Are they ABS, tempered plastic, or what?
    Fiberglass

I drill the ends of cracks so they wont spread, then drill the holes along the crack to do frankensled stitches with zip ties.

This user has no status.

Member #
    check this out. i sanded my hood its a 93 storm 750. and this is what was under the paint. has anyone seen this before? and as you can see where the black is where i havent sanded yet.
    Attachment 190882

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links