92 Polaris Indy RXL EFI turbo - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

92 Polaris Indy RXL EFI turbo

This is a discussion on 92 Polaris Indy RXL EFI turbo within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Originally Posted by Ugly_old_Poo_kid The biggest advantage of EFI isn't top end, it's out of the hole. Right where the 600 is lacking..... wish that ...

"); }
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 92 Polaris Indy RXL EFI turbo

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_old_Poo_kid
    The biggest advantage of EFI isn't top end, it's out of the hole.

Right where the 600 is lacking.....
    wish that was my case got top end but not much at bottom

This user has no status.

Member #
    The 136" conversion is just a complete skid and suspension from a later model 136" sled. This skid comes off an XC700 as far as I know.
    I have not ridden it much yet since I built the turbo setup, I've burned about a quarter of a tank of avgas doing some test pulls.
    I maxed out the stock injectors at 7psi and I have now swapped in a set from a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution which should flow enough fuel for about 240hp with a strong enough fuel pump. I have measured the output of the stock fuel pump to be 90lph at base pressure (not to be confused with advertised flow rates which are for unpressurised flow) which is about enough for a safe 180hp, maybe 200hp allowing for a drop in fuel pressure. I have another fuel pump ready to go in but removing the stock pump requires either the motor or the chaincase to be removed first so I'll save that for later.
    The intercooler is also too small (flow restrictive) according to the datalogs, adding a bit of lag.
    I'm going to get the engine dialed in at 10psi or so and then start working on the clutches to be able to get that power to the track and get rid of the lag.
    Re the points question, I'd rather just fix the electronics when they go bad.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Just got back from the mountains where I gave the engine as much as 14psi on one occasion it's still going strong although it doesn't always want to fire all cylinders at high RPM. The mag side cylinder has a tendency to drop out above 7500, I'm going to try replacing the ignition coil and see where that gets me. But according to the datalogs, two cylinders at 14psi are pulling more RPM than all three did without boost so it should be a bit quicker once I get that misfire sorted. Stayed at 5psi boost for the rest of the day and when it does manage to keep the mag side cylinder on, it's considerably faster than stock.
    I pulled the spark plugs and did a compression test just out of curiousity when I got back to the workshop, 130, 130, 125psi. The spark plugs are nice and clean and looking down the cylinders the pistons don't show any signs of detonating either.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Nice! Just out of curiosity, did you check the gap on the Mag side plug? Too large of a gap and the high boost may be causing your spark issue. I experienced this when cranking up the boost on VW's. [8D] Set the gap a bit closer and no more misfires. Worth a shot?

This user has no status.

Member #
    SWEET!! is all i can say

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianXCR
    Nice! Just out of curiosity, did you check the gap on the Mag side plug? Too large of a gap and the high boost may be causing your spark issue. I experienced this when cranking up the boost on VW's. [8D] Set the gap a bit closer and no more misfires. Worth a shot?
    Yeah the gap is the same as the others. I changed the plug too for a brand spanking new one, no change. I have a set of spare coils so I'll try replacing the coil.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Looks like I have an air leak on the mag side crankcase, probably crank seal. The cylinder getting into a rich misfire on boost because the boost pressure is leaking out instead of entering the cylinder. Bummer, the mag side crank seal is a bitch to replace. It either was bad before I put the turbo on, or a sneeze that popped the throttle bodies out of their boots when I was trying out different injectors last month popped the seal out.
    I hope I'll have it running again in a couple of weeks.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ouch!!

Ridin the Storm out!
    is Rest in peace Ripn, you will
    be missed

Member #
    Impressive sled. Thats a 650 I wouldnt want to race.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Update, the crank seal was fine. The fault was that the top piston ring on the mag cylinder was the wrong way around, its gap was at the exhaust port and the cylinder is beyond repair, the edges of the exhaust port are eaten up by the ring.
    Most likely an assembly error by previous owner. How the motor has run like this for years I don't know and even stranger is how it had 125psi compression and the motor ran strong without the turbo but fell completely flat on its face when the exhaust back pressure exerted by the turbo was pushing exhaust gas in
    past the piston. The piston was rattling in the bore.
    Now I need to get my hands on a spare cylinder and a set of pistons. Should I fork out for Wisecos or risk 18psi boost on generic stock replacements? Haha.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links