Piston grenades it self
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Piston grenades it self

This is a discussion on Piston grenades it self within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Doing some riding today and I cracked the throttle and all of a sudden I here massive rattling so I shut it down quick. Went ...

"); }
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Piston grenades it self

is Snows hear and I am not !!

Member #
    Doing some riding today and I cracked the throttle and all of a sudden I here massive rattling so I shut it down quick. Went to pull it over and it locked up tight. Got it home and tore it down and the skirts of the piston busted all to hell. What could cause this ? It has 4,000 miles on it... It's a 550 super sport and the temp was about 21 degrees.. Luckily it did no damage to any other parts , just need a new piston.!

is January 2016, 80 mile ride.
    Highest mileage total in 6
    years!

Member #
    Alot of variables with 4,000 miles. If your gonna rebuild it why don't you rebuild the entire top end?

This user has no status.

Member #
    You might want to double check to make sure nothing else is damage. Are there any missing piece from the piston ? little chunks of aluminum might have dropped down in the crankcase and you could be in for a new motor after a few miles on the new top-end(especially since you said the skirt is busted to hell). If you just want to do the top-end at the minimum get the cyls. check out and honed.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Cracked piston skirts are typically caused by the piston being worn and banging against the cylinder wall.

This user has no status.

Member #
    If the motor is worth rebuilding, you should go down to the crank and have all bearings inspected/replaced as needed. Like UPK mentioned, pistons banging around inside cylinder walls is a sign of bearing wear, if it were a hole in the top of piston, then a lean out occurred. Get a parts list for your rebuild, might be time to upgrade

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitepowder
    Doing some riding today and I cracked the throttle and all of a sudden I here massive rattling so I shut it down quick. Went to pull it over and it locked up tight. Got it home and tore it down and the skirts of the piston busted all to hell. What could cause this ? It has 4,000 miles on it... It's a 550 super sport and the temp was about 21 degrees.. Luckily it did no damage to any other parts , just need a new piston.!
    I haven't seen your engine, but I am willing to bet it needs more than just a piston. If you don't know, then take it to a pro to get fixed right.

is Snows hear and I am not !!

Member #
    I did have the motor out last year and had the crank trued and the bearings replaced. I had a over heat and it took out the clutch side piston, but I didnt replace Both pistons ( big mistake now) so now the old one went .. This is how I'm thinking I'm going to handle this. I got almost all the stuff out and it looks really good , no damage wear marks any wear .. I was able to shut the sled down almost immediately ! So I am going to spray it down with carb cleaner and get any more chunks to drop to the bottom , then vacume out the bottom of the case. ?? Thats my thoughts

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitepowder
    I did have the motor out last year and had the crank trued and the bearings replaced. I had a over heat and it took out the clutch side piston, but I didnt replace Both pistons ( big mistake now) so now the old one went .. This is how I'm thinking I'm going to handle this. I got almost all the stuff out and it looks really good , no damage wear marks any wear .. I was able to shut the sled down almost immediately ! So I am going to spray it down with carb cleaner and get any more chunks to drop to the bottom , then vacume out the bottom of the case. ?? Thats my thoughts
    You might get by, but you said just a post above that not replacing the other piston was a mistake. If that jug is out of spec or there is a chunk of your piston skirt in the crankcase, you will lose another piston and possibly more. Pistons rarely just lose a skirt for no reason. Something was wrong or out of spec. As for shutting it down almost immediately... If you were at 7000 rpm when it started rattling and were able to hit the kill switch within 1 second, that piston had already traveled over 50 feet up and down the cylinder by the time you shut it down, and that is without the coast-down included. Just something to think about...

This user has no status.

Member #
    You didn't learn from your first experience, being cheap has already possibly cost you, why would you chance it again? Take everything apart and repair it right, otherwise enjoy fixing the same problems over again.

This user has no status.

Member #
    pull the case apart and claen it good or bang

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links