sensible mods
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

sensible mods

This is a discussion on sensible mods within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; I've been on SF for a long time and I see so many posts on what to do to have a kick-ass sled..... Lets hear ...

"); }

Thread: sensible mods

is Went to Hay Days in September
    of 2015. Anticipating lots of
    member chat and info.

Member #
    I've been on SF for a long time and I see so many posts on what to do to have a kick-ass sled.....
    Lets hear it from the "old-scoolers" and the "pros", as to where we should be putting money
    into older stock sleds for long-life performance.....

This user has no status.

Member #
    Bearings, ball joints, springs and seals. That's all parts that require replacement with age, but usually get neglected.

Rebuilding clutches. A lot of performance is lost here, but people don't realize it unltil the sled gets un-rideable.

Change the pull rope. It's gonna break someday.

Look over the wiring harness. Anywhere it rubs, after thousands of miles can be worn through.

Grease everything, then grease everything again, and grease it after that. Skids in particular have lots of movable parts that get exposed to water. Failure to grease them will result in seizing, loss of comfort and performance during a ride, and eventually egging out of holes requiring repair or replacement.

Idler wheels. They have sealed bearings and you can't grease them, but they do wear out. They need to be checked a couple of times a season. Failure to do so, will cause drag on the track wasting horsepower, and eventually loss of the wheel which is more expensive to replace than a bearing alone.

Yes, you guessed it, maintenance is the most important place to spend money on an old sled.

After all the maintenance is done, then think about performance. [thumb]

is 1.75 46.5% should be a good
    weekend

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_old_Poo_kid
    Bearings, ball joints, springs and seals. That's all parts that require replacement with age, but usually get neglected.

Rebuilding clutches. A lot of performance is lost here, but people don't realize it unltil the sled gets un-rideable.

Change the pull rope. It's gonna break someday.

Look over the wiring harness. Anywhere it rubs, after thousands of miles can be worn through.

Grease everything, then grease everything again, and grease it after that. Skids in particular have lots of movable parts that get exposed to water. Failure to grease them will result in seizing, loss of comfort and performance during a ride, and eventually egging out of holes requiring repair or replacement.

Idler wheels. They have sealed bearings and you can't grease them, but they do wear out. They need to be checked a couple of times a season. Failure to do so, will cause drag on the track wasting horsepower, and eventually loss of the wheel which is more expensive to replace than a bearing alone.

Yes, you guessed it, maintenance is the most important place to spend money on an old sled.

After all the maintenance is done, then think about performance. [thumb]
    Thats the kind of stuff my dad made sure me and my brother do. Im doing a new clutch set up, for preformance and also because im sure it could use a update. Also replacing all bearings in the skid. Some are fine, but if im doing a few, might as well do them all.

Checking the chaincase fluid regularly, and changing it every season (depending on miles) sometimes even during the season. We also replace belts every 1000 miles.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm with Ugly Old Poo on this one...start by keeping the original performance you had by doing proper maintenance. Anytime I buy an older sled I replace almost everything he listed...ALL driveline and skid bearings/seals, grease the heck out of everything (better yet I do a full tear down and remove the steering spindles and suspension shafts to remove old grease, moisture and any corrosion), thoroughly clean and service both clutches and go through the chaincase. Next go through the carbs, make sure they are setup perfectly. If the sled has VES go through that as well. Once that is done, best bank for the buck I would say is clutching and traction products. If the sled has VM carbs a set of UFO's I find really cleans up throttle response, for the money they are a great mod. If you have more money to spend then pipes and headwork would be next.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links