POLARIS 550 Edge Trail Touring
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

POLARIS 550 Edge Trail Touring

This is a discussion on POLARIS 550 Edge Trail Touring within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; After putting 1000 miles on my 2004 Edge Trail touring , the engine has stood the test of punishment and durability. Total mileage is 6,750. ...

"); }

Thread: POLARIS 550 Edge Trail Touring

is Is watching the Colorado lows
    (my favorite!) blow by,
    producing RAIN when they
    should be producing snow!!

Member #
    After putting 1000 miles on my 2004 Edge Trail touring , the engine has stood the test of punishment and durability. Total mileage is 6,750. Have read on these and other forums how bad these engines are, one guy claimed to have a fleet and said the engine burned down on multiple machines even after a few hours of use- that is one opinion, and may very well not be true.

My sled does not have the heat shield (one complaint was heat from the exhaust can getting into the fan intake) another was an air bubble forming in the oil injection line, again my sled doesnt have a kit on it (dealer here never heard of it) and a "lean" throttle condition between 25 and 35 mph- I did most of my cruising at these speeds for extended time and zero problems- compression checks out at 130 psi per cylinder- engine never rebuilt in any way.

Just wanted to let other potential owners that these are not bad at all, in fact, it`s the most reliable sled among my riding compadres with no trouble at all.

Hope this helps anyone considering one of these sleds..

Take care,

is suffering from a sore butt

Member #
    What I don't get about that guy that hits all the forums with the 550 horror stories is why do they still run them? I read his thread a few years ago, and he said the rebuilds weren't lasting a day! I guess I don't doubt him. A fleet sled at a ski area probably doesn't get normal use, but why keep using something that doesn't work? If a sled gets rebuilt twice a week, that's a lot of parts and labor cost. Pull the plug and sell the fleet. Someone will show up with a few semis and buy the whole fleet. Then they could buy some 4-strokes or liquid 2-strokes. Why keep wasting money on something that supposedly doesn't work? It was originally the Edges he was talking about, and now they're buying IQ's and complaining about them. Holy crap! Ski Doo, Yammi, and Cat make sleds too. Give them a try or something.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by stynger007
    After putting 1000 miles on my 2004 Edge Trail touring , the engine has stood the test of punishment and durability. Total mileage is 6,750. Have read on these and other forums how bad these engines are, one guy claimed to have a fleet and said the engine burned down on multiple machines even after a few hours of use- that is one opinion, and may very well not be true.
    You've been lucky...I would submit. What I posted about engines burning down in "hours" was all true, and it was fact....not "opinion". My OPINION, which is different than fact, (based on years of experience and literally 100's of these things) is that they are junk. What I posted about my experience was fact. Very different.

I am not alone in 550F issues. FAR FROM IT. Do a search. On the other hand. I have no doubt that there are tons of these things running around that have and continue to run well. I don't believe that they are ALL "condemned". It is very hard, though, to figure why some run O.K. and other's run for 25 miles and seize. That is what I was trying to figure out in the massive SW thread that Rubi was referring to. Having all said that, I think that it's great that you're sled has run well. I wish NO ONE, bad luck who has a 550. No one. I'm glad yours has performed and continues to. That is fantastic. [thumb]

Two nights ago, I replaced a PTO side piston (this is fact, BTW, not "opinion") in a '12 550/IQ in which (once again), the piston ring locating pin had sunk, ring rotated and snagged the exhaust port. 4950 miles. Cylinder and piston, gone. $600+ in parts, 2 hours labor. Tonight, the machine is back in my shop, 4980 miles....Mag side piston now. This will be the 10th piston/cylinder I've done on a '12 machine in the past month. Dealer has done several of this fleet too. With this chassis and all the updates, they've fixed the over-heating issues...but created a new issue with poor manufacturing. A bummer.

NOTE: I did stop buying them. I said that in my last post but no one reads or comprehends. We started switching over to Yamaha VK Pro's in ~'06IIRC, and they are fantastic (for a ski resorts purpose). We tried to make the Polaris 550/Trail work for a while for economic and convenience reasons; we had a healthy stock of parts inventory, we were familiar with the machines, and they were cheap to purchase, compared to the Yamaha. Still, as stated...sleds not lasting a day...that doesn't work. So we did pull the plug and rotate out all the Poo's. Not what we were "going for", but necessary.
    NOTE II: I don't own the machines that I'm working on now. Said that in my last thread too -couple times. But you know...the comprehension thing. I'm doing this work partly for $$, and partly as a favor for the person who owns the machines for his rental business. Why doesn't he switch? IDK. Long-time relationship with Polaris I think. I know that he's considering switching though.

is suffering from a sore butt

Member #
    There are some things I don't comprehend, and some things I do. It's been a long time since I read the other thread, so some details were forgotten. I didn't really consider the parts inventory enough, and a relationship with a dealer and manufacturer can be a strong factor, but eventually cold hard economics should come into play. It sounds like you were pretty industrius in the past figuring out a solution that seemed to elude you, but shouldn't aftermarket pistons solve the ring locator problem on the new ones? I mean, you ran the world's most comprehensive case study of the 550 fan Polaris, what was the answer? Some people put those things through heck running a trapline or hauling stuff, the Trail RMK is the backbone of rental fleets all over the country, and the original poster had great luck with his sled, so what was so different about what was going on at a ski hill?

is Ridin the XC600RMK this
    year.....good times

Member #
    I heard bout the probs with my sons 03 550 when i got it. I tore it down n put 2 new weiscos it in and its been trouble free for 4 years and he rides it hard keeping up with our 600 and up sleds we ride with. My buddy has an 04 550 touring with 5200 miles all stock.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubi
    shouldn't aftermarket pistons solve the ring locator problem on the new ones? I mean, you ran the world's most comprehensive case study of the 550 fan Polaris, what was the answer? Some people put those things through heck running a trapline or hauling stuff, the Trail RMK is the backbone of rental fleets all over the country, and the original poster had great luck with his sled, so what was so different about what was going on at a ski hill?
    Great questions. The "answer" for us, back then was 1. forged pistons, .005" clearance, 2. Jetting, and 3. CAI for the fan. Any of those things seemed to eliminate most of the issues, but only ALL of them, made sure.

The current issue with the ring pin is a totally unrelated, new "chronic" problem. Yes, an aftermarket piston would solve that issue. If they were MY sleds? I'd use Wiseco's, and after swapping out pistons in the entire fleet, I'm sure they'd be O.K. No 488, but... The Wiseco swap would require an boring or at least honing to gain the required clearance, and then would the cylinders need recoating? IDK. Not something that I'm pursuing.

What was different at the ski area? IDK. I don't think anything. In my mega 550 thread, there were plenty of others having similar issues...and plenty who weren't. It seemed to be all over the place, and no logical explanation. Even w/in our ski area, w/our 45 machines...some ran fine w/o issues, and others would burn down over and over and over...until we came upon the final solution(s) for those particularly "picky" machines. What was different about those machines? I still don't know.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Since Rubi mentioned it, here is that old thread;
    http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/a.../t-122869.html

It's hard to read b/c the "quotes" aren't marked anymore, and I removed all my pictures after SW tried charging me to post my knowledge/experience, but if anyone is interested...there it is.

This user has no status.

Member #
    hi guys does anyone of you know the weight for this 2005 Polaris edge touring 550? Ive been looking all over and couldn't find it

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links