P85 Clutch Bushing Play ?
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

P85 Clutch Bushing Play ?

This is a discussion on P85 Clutch Bushing Play ? within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Hi all, Well I am heading out for some Jet Ski Time today , but yesterday I was thinking SNOW! I have a 1995 XLT ...

"); }

Thread: P85 Clutch Bushing Play ?

is Building

Member #
    Hi all,

Well I am heading out for some Jet Ski Time today , but yesterday I was thinking SNOW!
    I have a 1995 XLT Special I have been re conditioning. Last year I cleaned her up, rebuilt Carbs, gas / oil lines fixed electrical problems, replace bearings and fixed Speedo (shoes 8k). She ran good but the primary clutch started sticking when I would come to a stop. Experienced rider could compensate by blipping throttle, newbies killed the engine. This sticking got worse as if you ran it harder for awhile.

I popped off the clutch cover and spring and was surprised to find the moveable sheave was not sticky at all. So I looked deeper and noticed that the cover bushing has a fair amount of play. I grabbed the moveable sheave and rocked it side to side. There is a good 1/16 of play in the sheave bushing as I rock it on the shaft. SO my ? is this normal seems sloppy to me, nut I am not a clutch GURU.

is [IMG]http://i1278.photobucket.
    com/albums/y516/98700xc/728BB8
    E6-9DF1-4745-8E53-7273C205BD7E
    -3735-000003E9FFA90058_zps2809
    035e.jpg[/IMG]

Member #
    If that is the original primary with 8000 miles,it is either time for a complete rebuild or find a good replacement.

is Building

Member #
    I did some more checking and this thinning needs rebuild, rollers have chunks missing, Yikes!
    Parts are $240 bucks and dealer wants $40 bucks to spin it apart 4 me.
    I found a new clutch for a good price, but I would need to buy weights and Springs.
    Problem is the new clutch does not have the holes for the starter ring gear.
    I can see from the picture there are 6 round castings where the wholes would go to bolt on he ring gear.

Has anyone drilled and tapped these holes them self? I saw an electric start kit from Polaris and it came with a new clutch. probably just bolt holes ???

is getting ready for hillclimb
    season..

Member #
    you cant just drill and tap it. the back of the clutch is machined differently to accept the ring gear,it has like a step to it as where a non electric start clutch does not.

is Building

Member #
    Bummer , guess I am buying a Jam nut and spider tool

is Building

Member #
    Ok, so I am gaining on this thing. I tore it down and cleaned it up, all the wear parts were shot. Today I pressed in the bushings, roller and buttons. I found a post on how to file out the old bushing in the moveable that was awesome. I found I had to sand the bushings down a little to get them to slide nice on the shaft. When I went to fit the buttons in the spider they were tight, no clearance at all. I put then in the vice and got about .0025 clearance. Shop manual said .002. When I pull the moveable sheave up it sticks on the buttons at the top of the tower it is free most of the way down. That is if I pull it all the way up it stays unless I bump it down with my hand. I am not sure if this is ok or if I need try pushing the buttons in more? I sure do not need any of the shims that were in the kit. Any advice on button fit?

I should get the new spring and weights Thursday and I would love o get this done and move on to the 600 big block engine build sitting next to it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links