1995 Sport
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1995 Sport

This is a discussion on 1995 Sport within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Hey guys, 1995 Indy Sport 440 fan cooled So i picked up this sled about a month ago and finally starting to see some real ...

"); }

Thread: 1995 Sport

is Learning

Member #

1995 Sport

Hey guys,

1995 Indy Sport 440 fan cooled

So i picked up this sled about a month ago and finally starting to see some real progress. I got the engine back in it and I was able to get it to turn over for a few seconds and the headlights came on so it seems like everything works. Couple questions:

I had to put some gas in the cylinders to get it to turn over. Originally I wasn't getting any fuel in the lines so I pulled some through and got the fuel filter to fill up. I know the choke cable needs to be adjusted, there's a lot of play in it (at least 1/4"). Is that part of the problem?

Also the pull cable doesn't recoil all the way. Ill only get about a half pull out of it. I can rewind it all the way back, but it will only come back halfway again after the first pull. Does the spring need to be replaced?

Thanks alot. you guys have gotten me this far already, hopefully I can get it going soon, I wanna hit the snow!
    Last edited by nh603; 03-07-2015 at 02:08 PM.

is Learning

Member #
    Anyone know about the fuel problem? Maybe the fuel pump?

I haven't had a chance to look at it again yet, hopefully tomorrow. Thanks

is waiting for the white gold to
    come down

Member #
    Fuel pumps are cheap and easy to rebuild it wouldn't hurt to do so also inspect the fuel lines along with the one in the tank... they like to dry rot and Crack which means they suck air they also need a weighted filter on the in tank line to keep it from moving around too much

This user has no status.

Member #
    If you remove a fuel line from a carb and crank it, you should get a lot of fuel pumping. If not, could be pick up fuel line or bad pump. The rewind sounds messed up. You will have to take it apart, if nothing is broke it may just need another wind on the spring or something.

is Learning

Member #
    Tested the fuel pump like you said and it turns out it worked. Cleaned the carbs again, put a little gas in the cylinders, full choke and it started second pull. I killed it after 20 seconds waited a little bit and it started right up again. Im so excited haha.

It sounded like it was idling way to fast and it seemed to be speeding up the longer i let it go. Also it was getting a thin gray smoke pouring out of both sides, is that normal? thoughts?

Thanks alot guys!
    Last edited by nh603; 03-06-2015 at 07:38 PM.

is Learning

Member #
    Back at it again today. I started it up with full choke, let it run a little, when i shut the choke the rpms went way up, passed clutch engagement, but would go back down if i put the choke back on. it ran for a little with the choke, then died. Started it back up with the choke and it would stay running if i gave it some gas.

I ran it for about 8 minutes like this (giving it a little gas with the choke on) and the smoke from the exhaust didnt seem to let up at all. Is this normal? It probably hasnt ran in a year or two, but im not sure.

The air screws are set to spec 1 1/4 turn, but im not sure about the idle screws, i tried not to touch them. Also it doesnt have a tachometer so im not sure where the rpms are
    Thanks
    Last edited by nh603; 03-07-2015 at 02:10 PM.

is Hoping for a better year.

Member #
    Turn the air screws in while counting by 1/2 turns. Not to tight when bottomed, then back them out the same 3/4 turn and see how it runs. If they were not set the same to start with that would add to the problem.
    The Tuth Is Out There....In The Snow

2000 Indy Triumph/ Sold
    2001 Ski Doo formula 380
    2015 Indy 550

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links