95 Indy Trail Restoration - Bringing back from the dead! - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

95 Indy Trail Restoration - Bringing back from the dead!

This is a discussion on 95 Indy Trail Restoration - Bringing back from the dead! within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Thank you for the encouragement MuscleD! I really enjoy doing this kind of stuff, and thought that I would document it for other to enjoy, ...

"); }
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 95 Indy Trail Restoration - Bringing back from the dead!

is One sled running!!! One sled
    project!

Member #
    Thank you for the encouragement MuscleD! I really enjoy doing this kind of stuff, and thought that I would document it for other to enjoy, getting assistance along the way.

project!

Member #

Spider tool Built...... But will it work?????

Ok.. Let it be known that I am not a welder, and I would welcome any criticism to my welding (speed up, slow down, easy on the temp/voltage, wire speed ect..). Here is the spider tool i made, there are certainly better ways to do it, but I just used what was lying around the garage:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pI...INE3a8ROWRifoAhttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pv...swwNxXxy9WZ0uw Here it is on the contabulous fabtraption: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hB...BRcz37T6j6GH9wIt is simply a metal plate with a hole cut in it, three pieces on angle steel welded to the bottom, a 2"ish piece of pipe on top, and a giant nut welded on top of said pipe.Now that's all well and good, but does this rig work?............It does! Had to really lean into all 4ft of the cheater bar, but once cracked loose, it just spun off.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jU..._w8Igg-WNzNDwgPretty sweet combo:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yr...0Dp-hYUYvqCATANow I am having a time getting the pins out for the weights, (they are stuck in there pretty good) more to follow once we see how brutal they are, I think i may rebuild this bad boy once mocked up to prove compatibility.
    Last edited by cubix rube; 01-16-2017 at 11:15 PM.

project!

Member #

Some more good news!

Ok.. So I bought a parts sled for 200$ that will see this thing to completion (less one ski).

Sled $300
    Gas $25
    pipe clamps $5
    brake cleaner $6
    Carbs $100
    Gas $10
    +Parts Sled $200
    +Gas $30

total $676

The Price is starting to climb, but I think that this is nearing the upper limit. Additonally, (and if worthwhile), I intend on rebuilding the motor for the new parts sled (had low compression) And I will have a bunch of spare parts, that I may either a) Keep, or b) Sell off to recoup some cost. I will most likely keep the major parts and maybe sell some others. Here is the parts sled:

Going to use this clutch as it appears to not require a rebuild. Will rebuild the other clutch anyway.

Another Pic

Whats nice about this being a wedge, is that many components will switch over to the sled i'm rebuilding, and I could also use some parts to on the older Indy I built last year, henceforth refered to as the "Lil' Bro"

Lil' Bro:

I'm getting excited now that this is all coming together, soon I'll have both these beauties standing on thier hind legs, like a couple of Rory Calhouns

Should have the suspension and clutch sorted out by next post.

is Too short of a season...

Member #
    Your pics arent working?
    triumphbute likes this.
    2001 XC 700 - 1.25x121, C&A
    2001 XC 500 - Full Carl's 660 kit, 1.25x121
    A few others too...

project!

Member #
    Ok I haven't posted on the sled for a while... for the past four months I have been on a course and could not get at it. However, I had worked on it with considerable zeal over the Christmas holidays. I did take some pictures but with the snow falling, my formost concern was getting it going.I did run into some unforeseen troubles on the way.. more of that later. Anyway, here are some chronological (ish) pictures of the build. I ended up taking a lot of parts from the donor sled.. first, I ganked the front suspension and bought some plastic ski's ($300 even), ten took the seat and gas tank (I like the two piece seat) from the donor sled.

Donor sled:
    Name:  image(6).jpeg
Views: 401
Size:  2.13 MB

The older seat and tank replacement also meant that I had to change the oil bottle to accommodate the different gas tank:

Suspension and Skis:
    Name:  IMG_0238.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  1.40 MB

Gas tank from donor sled:
    Name:  IMG_0239.JPG
Views: 390
Size:  1.30 MB

Added snow flap from donor:
    Name:  IMG_0240.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  1.51 MB

And here is the whole front end completed with windshield. It was starting to look like a real snowmobile

Name:  IMG_0266.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  1.37 MB

Grand total so far:
    Sled $300
    Gas $25
    pipe clamps $5
    brake cleaner $6
    Carbs $100
    Gas $10
    Parts Sled $200
    Gas $30
    +Windshield $100
    +Skis $300

total $976

I thought I was getting close to close to completion by this point...... But I was wrong. I was waaaaaay wong
    Last edited by cubix rube; 01-17-2017 at 12:20 AM.

project!

Member #
    So by now I switch over the suspension, taking the best parts between the two that I have. It went in successfully and feels pretty good.

By that point i figured it would be good to turn the engine over and get the track spinning. To my dismay the engine ran like a bag of S**t. It would not idle, and had the nastiest bog i have heard in recent memory. I pulled the engine out to see what was wrong, and saw that the base gaskets were blown out, and one of the cylinders was horribly pitted. It still held compression, (120 both sides), so how bad could it be?

I split the case and found this.

Name:  IMG_0243.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  1.72 MB

A couple of crank bearings were shot, one of the centre ones as well. I took apart the donor sled engine as well. It had some blown seals and one of the outer bearings were destroyed, but it looked like the better of the two cranks/engines in general. I decided to rebuild the donor sled engine first. It needed pistons, rings, gaskets and outer crank bearings and seals. I ordered the parts and went to work.

Bearings:
    Name:  IMG_0242.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  1.75 MB

Crank prior to bearing replacement:
    Name:  IMG_0244.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  1.40 MB

Bearings cut away with dremel:
    Name:  IMG_0245.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  1.45 MB

Bearings installed. I put the crank in a plastic bag and threw it out into the snow for a few hours, it was about -8 C.
    When installing the bearings, I heated them with some mapp gas and they just slid right onto the chilled crank. I had a socket ready and the old cut races to pound the new bearings on if necessary. All in all it worked out very well.
    Name:  IMG_0246.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  1.36 MB

Name:  IMG_0247.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  1.51 MB

Bearings in Case. I used permetex sport bond to mate the cases together I don't have a picture of that stuff.
    Name:  IMG_0248.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  1.50 MB

And case torqued to spec.
    Name:  IMG_0249.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  1.63 MB

I just went with the SPX pistons, I think ill try wiescos on the other engine rebuild I always warm up my sled so i don't think using a forged piston will be a dissatisfier at all.
    Name:  IMG_0250.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  1.74 MB

And all back together.
    Name:  IMG_0251.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  1.19 MB
    Name:  IMG_0258.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  1.34 MB
    Name:  IMG_0257.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  1.45 MB

In terms of money here is the new grand total:
    Grand total so far:
    Sled $300
    Gas $25
    pipe clamps $5
    brake cleaner $6
    Carbs $100
    Gas $10
    Parts Sled $200
    Gas $30
    Windshield $100
    Skis $300
    +pistons and gasket set $200 (deal through friend)
    +bearings $55
    +honing attachment $30
    +dremel $60 (on sale at Canadian tire )

total $1320

I said this before, But i am definitely nearing the upper limit.
    Last edited by cubix rube; 01-17-2017 at 12:58 AM.

project!

Member #
    Following the engine installation, carb tuning, and oil pump priming, I was pleased to see that the engine fired right up and humms at a nice idle.

But of course once the engine is running well i can see what electronics components are not working. In my case I had to re-wire the hand warmers, (I already had a pair of two wire ones handy, so they are either on/off which is fine), and i still need to order high beam bulbs and 2X gauge lights.

Also, because I changed the seat to the older two piece style, I had to lengthen the connection from the tail light to the brake light, plug switch.

This stuff was very easy, and dare i say much more enjoyable since i knew i was wiring up to a known running sled with a strong running engine.

I soldered all of my connections and shrink wrapped then taped them.

Also, I just transferred the ownership to my name via my proven affidavit template, and it went without a hitch.

Here is how the sled looks right now, all that is left to do is recover the seat, should probably get new sliders, change some bulbs, and swap out those red bogeys with some black ones that I have on hand.

I will be on trails this weekend .

Name:  IMG_0270.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  1.95 MB

Name:  IMG_0264.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  1.61 MB

Name:  IMG_0265.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  1.59 MB

Name:  IMG_0268.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  1.50 MB

I think i will be spending about 200 more max on this sled before I can say that it is finished. for an estimated total of $1520 all in plus my time (which I enjoy).

I certainly think that this is worth it, I now know every nut and bolt on this thing, have confidence in the engine, and I will certainly take care of it more so than something I spent $1500 bucks on as is.

If you have any questions ask away!

More photos once complete.
    Last edited by cubix rube; 01-17-2017 at 01:30 AM.

is suffering from a sore butt

Member #
    Looks good. At least you'll have the satisfaction that you did the work yourself. Hope your crank bearings work out, I always leave crank work to the professionals.
    2006 Stihl Chainsaw
    1980's Vintage Lawnboy Lawnmower
    2005 Husqvarna Weed Whacker (It sucks to rewind the string, but that 31cc motor sure is torquey!)
    2000 Polaris XCSP Edge 600 (1.5" Track, 22x40 gearing, Aaen exhaust, Student Driver pivot riser package)

is time to make the firewood!!!

Member #
    Nice work!!! I always do crank bearings like you did. Freezer and oven Be careful with that wrap. It can retain moisture during the summer months and speed up rust and corrosion.
    2003 Pro x 700
    almond/blue,10-66, black/red,team 719, T-flow, 440 mains

1997 XCF 440

1997 XCR440
    HSP Black,S51HR, Team Sec,19/39,380 main,17.5 PAJ's,ufo's,T-flow below shelf,159 P-4 nozzles, stock 6DH7 needle #2 pos.

1998 Indy 500

1987 Sport 340

Past toys;
    1998 Explorer|1999 F-250 SD V10 | 1997 F-150 SC 5.4L | 1995 F-150 RC 5.0L | 1980 F-150 RC 5.0L | 1980 Chevy CK 1500 350ci 3.4 ton lifted springs |

1998 XC 700 | 1996 ULTRA SP | 1995 XCR 600 | 1991 RXL | 1992 XCR 440 | 1990 INDY 400 | 1987 INDY 400 | 1987 INDY TRAIL |

project!

Member #
    Thanks XCR, im pretty excited to finish this. I looked up the whole exhaust wrap thing, it was a divisive subject. I'll run it for now then probably turf it in the winter, I just reused what was already on the exhaust.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links