95 Indy Trail Restoration - Bringing back from the dead!
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on 95 Indy Trail Restoration - Bringing back from the dead! within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Hey all! Thought I would share this with the community that has been very helpful to me thus far. As doing anything in the summer ...

"); }
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 95 Indy Trail Restoration - Bringing back from the dead!

is One sled running!!! One sled
    project!

Member #

Hey all! Thought I would share this with the community that has been very helpful to me thus far.

As doing anything in the summer is awesome, and doing anything but sled in the winter sucks, I thought it would be awesome to take on a summer project, So I got a hold of a decrepit Indy trail for 300 CAD (about 225 USD)

The good - It has 120 on both sides, good fat spark, in relatively sound condition (structurally). Plastics are good.

The bad - No skis, cracked primary, no carbs, no skid (but I have a skid to pop in it), no ownership, and generally yucky from neglect.

Noting the "the bad" list many may ask "why would you even do this? you got ripped!, what a crappy sled to put any effort into! etc. etc. etc." I acknowledge all of this. I am hopeful that once this project is done i will have a very reliable fan cooled sled for under $1000 CAD, and I will know the thing inside and out. I don't intend to restore it to a gawkable showroom condition, rather i would like to simply have a nice looking and riding trail sled, that appears to have been taken care of. I've done this before on an 87 Indy Trail so I know what I am getting into, I enjoyed that resto and i will certainly enjoy this one!

Additionally, I am going to keep a running total of money spent so i can see how far off I am in my initial estimate. I will be itemizing every dime spent. This will have the twofold effect of keeping me in check next time i want to take on a project, and be a real time didactic lesson for any would be snowmobile restorers out there trying to save a buck, where in the long run it is probably more sensible to buy a $1500 sled right off the hop.

Anyway, wall of text over.. Time for some pics!!!

{edit} once i figure out how to upload them
    Last edited by cubix rube; 07-12-2016 at 09:45 PM.

project!

Member #
    WOW! What a POS!!! First thing is first... you need a wife or GF or parents or whatever that are either understanding, indifferent, or like sledding. my wife falls in the the former and latter categories, and she was actually "Excited" (her words) when I brought this hunk of junk into our garage. Of course her excitement may have been self serving as it means she will have a trail sled of her own once this bad boy is GTG.

Money spent so far (CAD $).
    Sled - 300
    Gas - 25

Total: 325

Like I said. Pretty Yucky in there. Lots of compression in that motor so i am confident it will be GTG. Just need to make it presentable.

Next step is to clean it up a bit and see what kind of "treats" are in there for me. I'm sure the previous owner has "stored" some of the missing bolts from the engine shroud in there.

So far I am happy with this.

project!

Member #

Cool Cleaning out this Ma!

Found some treats! In addition to this bogey wheel, I also found some engine shroud bolts (as predicted) and some mystery bolts!

For when stock lighting is way too uncool.... this along with the crappy wiring will go away at some point (at least the crappy wiring )

I did not know the Great Sequoias grew here in Eastern Ontario.... Apparently this sled was parked underneath one.

I read that one of these giant redwoods have enough needles to cover an entire days vomit at Disneyland! This one filled a pail.

Up next is the exhaust.
    Last edited by cubix rube; 07-12-2016 at 10:42 PM.

project!

Member #

Exhaust Freshening

Sled $300
    Gas $25
    pipe clamps $5

total $330

Ok.... I am pretty sure i am doing this stuff in inverse order where one ensures operational capacity before the cosmetic stuff, but i was bored today and had some high temp spray paint lying around so.......

This needs to be addressed.. never heard of wrapping an exhaust, googled it and it seemed a divisive subject. I decided to reuse the wrap.

Whipped out the angle grinder and went to town on this MF. Then sprayed it down.

Bought some pipe clamps on a coffee run reused the old wrap as the clearance between the cowling and curve on the exhaust looked pretty tight. I think it turned out pretty good (add $5.00)

Did the same to the exhaust manifold:

Here it is all assembled!

That's all the work for now. Next I will be looking at the chaincase and jackshaft bearings. I do not have high hopes for them.
    Last edited by cubix rube; 07-12-2016 at 11:10 PM.

project!

Member #

No ownership with snowmobile

In regards to the "no ownership", I have overcome this obstacle here in Ontario. It is just a matter of putting together a professional looking affidavit, and haveing ontario transportation notarize it (they have authority to do so). I have uploaded a template and discussed it in this thread here on SF. I intend to do this again, and i am confident it will work again.

Cheers!

project!

Member #

Chain case, jack shaft, drive shaft bearings.

Managed to get back at the sled yesterday following some obligatory family schmoozing. I was pleasantly surprised to find that all four sets of bearings were in very good condition, there was no play whatsoever in any of the bearings. Will probably replace anyway sometime this year, but good to know that they were serviced regularly.

Sled $300
    Gas $25
    pipe clamps $5
    +brake cleaner $6

total $336

Here is the chain case off.

And the lower bearing:

Satisfied with that side I took off the secondary. It was a production:.

A little rust holding it on:

I used the bolts from the chain-case in the puller:

And she grudgingly came off. I thought the grease build up was the key:

Next I took off the speedo housing and checked the cable and speedo drive key.... All good to go. put it back together and pushed some more grease in.

Everything looks good:

Cleaned up secondary bearing housing and jackshaft. I want this beauty to slide off next time i deal with it.

Next I disassembled and cleaned the secondary clutch. No pics of that cause my hands were a mess. But the whole dis and reassembly went without hassle.

There was no way that this thing was balanced will all on the grease and guck clumping in every nook and cranny. the clutch is very clean now.

Here is everything back together, I clean as I go as well, so with out the clutches there was more room for me to get a rag in there. I've probably taken about 5lb of grime off this thing so far.

That's all for now. I might be getting some carbs for $50 a carb tonight. Updates forthcoming! Might be able to start this beauty up!
    Last edited by cubix rube; 07-18-2016 at 02:11 PM.

project!

Member #

Cool It Starts!

Some good news. Bought two carbs today for 50$ each brought home, cleaned them and slapped them on and the sled runs. I only ran it for a few seconds cause there was no primary, but i just had to hear it start up.

Sled $300
    Gas $25
    pipe clamps $5
    brake cleaner $6
    +Carbs $100
    +Gas $10

total $446

Starting to actually look like a real sled:

Video of sled running to follow.
    Last edited by cubix rube; 07-18-2016 at 10:14 PM.

project!

Member #

Primary clutch - An ask for help

Some more (possibly good) news:

Sled $300
    Gas $25
    pipe clamps $5
    brake cleaner $6
    Carbs $100
    Gas $10
    +Clutch inner sheave FREE!

total $446

I asked the guy I bought the carbs from if he knew of a good used primary, and i proceeded to wax on forlornly about my inner sheave woes. He told me to wait a sec, he went down stairs and produced for me a Polaris primary inner sheave. He just gave it to me, saying that he could not confidently place what kind of sled it was from, and it may be worth a shot. Anyway, a great guy, I will certainly be buying more parts from him as he acquires them.

So now I will look to this fine community for help. Will I be able to make this work? they look to have the same taper but a different offset, may have to reshim secondary/ or push engine over?

The new sheave fits on the engine fine enough (no risk of running into the crank seal (see below):

Old sheave:

New Sheave:

New sheave P/N:

New sheave dry fit on look about 1/4"-3/8" of clearance (caliper there for scale):

Any thoughts on this one guys? It would be nice to shave a $150 off this project.

is 1.75 46.5% should be a good
    weekend

Member #
    Keep up the work! I like reading all this and seeing it

project!

Member #

Primary clutch - Built clutch holder and spider tool

Alright... I am pretty confident that the inner sheave I have will work, so I went ahead with building a clutch hold down and a spider removal tool. This was all done with stuff I had lying around, (had to buy a hole saw and a cheater bar). I don't really consider buying tools that i will certainly use again as part of the cost but will include it anyway.

Sled $300
    Gas $25
    pipe clamps $5
    brake cleaner $6
    Carbs $100
    Gas $10
    +Hole saw and drill arbour - 30$
    +cheater bar - 12$

total $488

So I have been trolling the forums for a bit to see the best way to remove the spider from the primary and happened upon a few posts where people have made their own. Owning everything required to build such tools but a hole saw and sturdy enough cheater bar, I rummaged through the garage, busted out the welder, scrounged some blank metal and went to work making my own contabulous fabtraption.

I had a brake rotor from a car that had since been scraped, I welded a bar to the bottom of that, tossed some bolts in the lug holes, tapped some threads on both ends of an old 1/4" piece of steel rod, chanted the requisite incantation and BAM!... a clutch hold-down tool materialized:

Brake Rotor with bolts:

Below I threaded a 1/4 steel bar at both ends, the bottom of the bar is received by a hole in the blank metal that is welded on the bottom of the brake rotor.

In Rod we Trust:

Here is the whole assy put together, clamped to the vice with primary clutch:

So far so good. Now if only I could turn the damn thing off!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links