01 550 fan cooled ss
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

01 550 fan cooled ss

This is a discussion on 01 550 fan cooled ss within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; bought machine for grandson and he took it to north shore in MN. He said the machine got hot and stopped and would not start ...

"); }

Thread: 01 550 fan cooled ss

This user has no status.

Member #

01 550 fan cooled ss

bought machine for grandson and he took it to north shore in MN. He said the machine got hot and stopped and would not start again until it cooled down.
    I read in some forums that there is an oilier kit for it. Is the engine cooked or could an oilier kit be installed and the engine would be OK?
    Is it probable the lower end is OK?

This user has no status.

Member #
    The 550 fan motor in the 01-07 edge chassis is well known to have overheating issues. This is caused by two things: limited ventilation in the Edge chassis hood and belly pan to bring in cold air into the engine bay for the fan cooled motor, and lean jetting in the throttle midrange. These motors didn't like to be run at a steady 40mph for a long time, and is the reason you will find so many of these motors that need a top end rebuild.

I am not familiar with there being an oiling issue for the 550 fan, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. All the 550 fan motors I have come across never had issues with the crank/bottom end.

Best way to tell if you have had engine damage is to do a compression test.
    2003 Edge X 700 Black/Yellow
    SLP pipe/can, SLP Air Horn and Boost Bottle, VForce 3, Rush skis, Geared & Clutched, Electric Start, Reverse, IQ seat with Fusion trunk/taillight, Camoplast Cobra 1.375"

1999 Polaris XC 500
    SLP silencer, Boost Bottle, Geared & Clutched, on-the-fly adjustable Fox dual remote reservoir front track shock,
    Fox front shocks with triple rate springs, IQ seat/tank and LED taillight, Camoplast Predator 1.25"

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rlllrs View Post
    bought machine for grandson and he took it to north shore in MN. He said the machine got hot and stopped and would not start again until it cooled down.
    I read in some forums that there is an oilier kit for it. Is the engine cooked or could an oilier kit be installed and the engine would be OK?
    Is it probable the lower end is OK?
    You should use portable humidifier it helps you to in getting cold for the fan.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Best Humidifier For Plants<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by anabell99 View Post
    You should use portable humidifier it helps you to in getting cold for the fan.
    Sound advice. Do you by chance have the fevers?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Polaris...it IS the way out!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links