Belt removal/adjustment - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Belt removal/adjustment

This is a discussion on Belt removal/adjustment within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; Hold the brake with your right hand, with your left hand grasp the belt just ahead of the secondary and pull up- this forces the ...

"); }
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Belt removal/adjustment

is is at full shift-out.

Member #
    Hold the brake with your right hand, with your left hand grasp the belt just ahead of the secondary and pull up- this forces the sheaves open and you can flip the belt off with one hand in about 3 seconds.

This user has no status.

Member #
    thanks, I have gotten the belt off and back on now... I would like to know how much slack it should have and how to adjust it...

is is at full shift-out.

Member #
    Take a straight edge of some kind (yard stick) and lay it on the top of your primary and secondary clutches. Push down on the belt midway between the clutches- you should have about 1 1/4" of deflection. Adjustment for this is on the outside of your secondary clutch- should be a little slotted collar at the center with some numbers. Your belt should ride about 1/8" above secondary clutch sheave.

This user has no status.

Member #
    cool, thanks!! My belt currently rides ~1/16" above the sheave and has ~3" of deflection... Collar is currently set on 3, which was should I go to tighten it?

This user has no status.

Member #

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polarisracer2007 View Post
    its actualy very simple, easiest way is with the track of the ground,place the rear end on a stand or some kinda support, put a hand on the belt near the secondary clutch (rear most clutch) and start to work the belt around and off the clutch while at the same time turning the clutch, hence having the track of the ground to make the turning of the clutch easier, it should slip off fairly easy, if that is tough then continue to do what i just explaind but get the belt so it will stay have way off the clutch bye its self and continue to turn the clutch but at the same time turn the primary with it (foward most clutch) wich will aid in truning the secondary. once you get it the first time it a breeze to go from their.

with a good COLD belt the deflection should be (with some sort of sraitedge across both clutches on top of belt) should be around 1/2 inch when pushed till tension comes out of belt.
    This worked great as I was trying to do it with the track on the ground before. As for the adjustments on a 2005 Indy 500 Classic it takes a 3/8 wrench and is a piece of cake to do. Just loosen the three bolts on the driven, rear clutch, and rotate the plate to the second from the left for starters. Tighten them up and run the sled, even on the stand. Shut it down and check the deflection. Mine is about 1 inch with that setting. On the stand the track turns some but not when it's on the ground. I gained 25 mph by just adjusting after putting the new belt on. The old belt had a half dozen teeth missing and that was causing a clanking noise before. Glad it didn't let go on my 85 mile trip the other day. Now, off to buy a new spare.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links