Electronic Fuel Gauge Wiring.
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Electronic Fuel Gauge Wiring.

This is a discussion on Electronic Fuel Gauge Wiring. within the Polaris forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; My '95 XLT Special has an electronic fuel gauge. It worked last season, but doesn't work now. I have had an intermittent problem with my ...

"); }

Thread: Electronic Fuel Gauge Wiring.

JD
    is logged in for the first time
    in a few years.

Member #
    My '95 XLT Special has an electronic fuel gauge. It worked last season, but doesn't work now. I have had an intermittent problem with my lights dimming at random, which seems to point to a faulty voltage regulator. But, I want to rule out a problem with the fuel gauge before I fix the voltage regulator. Does anybody have a wiring diagram of how the gauge is supposed to be hooked up and which terminals are for what? There are four terminals. The wires are brown, purple, yellow, and red. Does anybody know how to trouble-shoot these things? Would I cause any other problems by just unhooking it altogether?

This user has no status.

Member #
    should not cause a problem just disconnecting. its an option. may be a ground problem. does the light on the guage work?

is is pondering this crazy year

Member #
    I'll take a peek at my Clymer manual tonight, see if I can get something figured out for you

is looking for a yellow injector
    for a fusion

Member #
    there should be a single wire going to the sending unit in the tank. Unplug it and you should see either a full reading on the gauge or an empty reading. Touching that same wire to ground will make the gauge swing to the oppisite reading. Of course the sled will have to be running when you do this if you dont have electric start. That should tell you if your issue is with the sending unit or not. Start there and see what you get.

Triple Trader
    is thinks Ugly_old_Poo_kid is a
    tool

Member #
    JD here is a wiring diagram for my 96 rxl. It has the optional fuel guage, hope it helps.
    Attachment 134121

is @ 300 miles for the season and
    looking for more!!!

Member #
    Not trying to steal your topic but, what would I have to do to go about putting a electronic fuel gauge on my sled? I am sick and tired of the other gas guage becuase they are very inaccurate.

Triple Trader
    tool

Member #
    ^^ You would need the pickup for the fuel tank, gauge, and wire according to the above wiring diagram. I love having the electric gauge rather than the damn curly in tank gauges. I've seen kits for sale on ebay.

is @ 300 miles for the season and
    looking for more!!!

Member #
    How much do you think total? Gotmud do you have any pics of your sled that I could look at to get a idea? Also with my xlt/rxl tank and seat I have now could i already have the tank? Are these gauges accurate too?

Triple Trader
    tool

Member #
    I believe the gauges are accurate, I've never questioned mine. Seems like I've seen the complete kit on ebay for less than $80.oo. Here is the best picture I have at work with the guage on it. It's between the tach and speedometer in the pod and the electric pickup in the tank is just to the left of the gas cap. The seat/tank that's in that picture isn't the one with the electric pickup as you can tell from the gas cap lol. I have the electric fuel gauge tank back on the sled this year.
    Attachment 98164

JD
    is logged in for the first time
    in a few years.

Member #
    Niether the light on the gauge or the needle work.

I'll try grounding the wire from the sending unit to see what happens.

Thanks for the wiring diagram, GotMud.

08Braaap, my gauge is mounted on the console next to the key and choke lever. To mount it in the pod like GotMud, you would need the special pod that has the dummy lights in a cluster below the fuel gauge, not in a vertical row like your's probably has. I don't know if the gauge is incredibly accurate, but probably better than the float gauges. The small gas cap without the float attached is the biggest plus.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links