How To Clean Out Aluminum Smeared On Cyl Walls?
Close
Login to Your Account
Snowmobile Fanatics - Snowmobile Forum - Powered by vBulletin

How To Clean Out Aluminum Smeared On Cyl Walls?

This is a discussion on How To Clean Out Aluminum Smeared On Cyl Walls? within the Ski-Doo forums, part of the Brand Specific Snowmobile Discussion category; A guy I know has a Grand Touring that just tossed its engine. He says its ok except for needing most likely rings and possibly ...

"); }
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How To Clean Out Aluminum Smeared On Cyl Walls?

This user has no status.

Member #
    A guy I know has a Grand Touring that just tossed its engine. He says its ok except for needing most likely rings and possibly new pistons. He said there is aboout .053 end gap on the rings. There is some deposit of aluminum on the cyl walls he needs to get rid of but the walls are coated with whatever NII process they used at the factory and wants to avoid desturbing it if he can. Is there any acid used to remove this deposit out there that won't ruin the coating or do you have to use mechanical means?

Member of My Mind
    is is wandering again

Member #
    we used to use muriatic acid to clean aluminum out of cylinders. Its a very
    mild acid but I don't know if it will affect what ever coating is in your cylinders.

This user has no status.

Member #
    sandblaster....45psi....glass-bead....only way without corrosion

sandblaster....45psi....glass-bead....only way without corrosion

This user has no status.

Member #
    Muriatic acid will eat the aluminum and leave the nikasil. You can get it at any pool parts store, they use it for cleaning. When I had this problem, I had to get a 2-gallon box, I used maybe an ounce. Now I have to go find 255 more cylinders to clean.

Go easy, use time, avoid scraping with sharp tools. I used many q-tips and changed the acid frequently. When you get all the aluminum off, wash with soda water to neutralize the acid, then wash and dry with soap and water.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks Dudes.!!!!!!!!!

This user has no status.

Member #
    your ring end gap spec seems a bit much.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe
    That is in the burned up condition, he is replacing the pistons and rings. The best part is he found that his model didn't even have it. [Disappointed] Dipshit. Why do they use it anyways? I am only familiar with that stuff in airplane engines where they use it to build up cyls and rebore them rather than buy new ones. Anyways now all he has to do is run a hone through it and reinstall the new stuff.

is feeling the pressure, gotta
    get things done

Member #
    muriatic acid it the only way if u go sand blasting ull damage the cylinders and nickasil.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Aw forget it, now he found out its dead. It needs new crank seals and bearings so the whole thing is needing teardown. Too bad he was trying to sell it so he could buy a MXZ. Sux when you need to fix something to sell it. Anybody know where a guy can get ahold of a good used engine for a grand touring, cheeeeeepppp. Ya right, oh well sux being him and not me for a change.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by drizler
    Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe
    That is in the burned up condition, he is replacing the pistons and rings. The best part is he found that his model didn't even have it. [Disappointed] Dipshit. Why do they use it anyways? I am only familiar with that stuff in airplane engines where they use it to build up cyls and rebore them rather than buy new ones. Anyways now all he has to do is run a hone through it and reinstall the new stuff.
    ok aircraft wizzard. your pratt and whitney aircraft motors may run with a 50 thou ring end gap but a snowmobile motor will not. his ring end gap should be half that much. the motor will not make enough compression with over 50 thou ring end gap, especially with a single ring piston.
    what exactly are you saying? what are you talking about? his motor didn't even have what? why do they use what?
    i know his ring end gap spec is in burned up condition but i'm failing to see how a burned up motor will double the ring end gap? especially with piston material on the cylinder walls.
    just a hone and replace the pistons hugh?
    perhaps you should stick to aircraft engines. remind me not to get into a plane that has a motor in it you have worked on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links